Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 12:09 PM

636 posts, read 611,519 times

Advertisements

NY easily.

NY hip hop has definitely been resurgent the past few years, not to mention the ish was invented there. Historically, NY has also produced more classic albums and iconic MCs.

Disclaimer: I'm biased as hell. The only atl music I really f with is pre-Stankonia Outkast and the first two Goodie Mob discs.

BEAST COAST
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Lies. Some of the hottest acts right now are from New York. Cardi B, 6ix9ine, A Boogie.
Outside of Cardi B, nobody really knows those other rappers. Just because they're hot in NYC don't mean they're hot everywhere else. NYC doesn't have that kind of pull anymore. Atlanta on the other hand has that kind of pull. Plus, Cardi's biggest single was paying homage to southern rapper Kodak Black.

NYC doesn't even have a distinct sound anymore.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:11 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Outside of Cardi B, nobody really knows those other rappers. Just because they're hot in NYC don't mean they're hot everywhere else. NYC doesn't have that kind of pull anymore. Atlanta on the other hand has that kind of pull. Plus, Cardi's biggest single was paying homage to southern rapper Kodak Black.

Everyone who follows current hip hop should know who 6ix9ine is. Gummo is a popular song, made it to number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Everyone who follows current hip hop should know who 6ix9ine is. Gummo is a popular song, made it to number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Never heard of it.

Edit:
I just watched the video: aside from the location, there's nothing NYC about that song or video.

Southern beat
LA gang
Chicago Drill music influenced.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 02-23-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 02-25-2018, 07:07 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Isn't Cardi B the fiancee of the Atlanta rapper Takeoff?

Aside from Dave East, I've never heard of those other people. NYC hip-hop just doesn't seem cool anymore; it's been that way for over a decade now.
You would be living under a rock because Tekashi 69 is arguably isthe hottest rapper right now.

3 songs on the top 100 list and he’s already about to have the highest first week numbers for a SoundCloud rapper. He’s also at the top of the charts in Apple and iTunes music.

That’s just your opinion but doesn’t make it a fact. The fact is A Boogie with the Hoodie, Don Q, Young Ma, Cardi B, Dave East, Jay Critch, French Montana, ASAP MOB and Joey Badass, Niki Minaj all are widely known all over the country. As far as I’m concerned that’s enough artist to have a conversation about where NYC stands as far as current hip hop!

And mind you I didn’t even say Casanova(who I think will Be known soon), uncle murda, Remy because those would be local rappers that no1 outside of NYC knows.

And as far as ATL trap music goes there are plenty of rappers that Aren’t known outside the A. Go to any city and ask people if they know who No Plug, Ralo or who Bankroll was, and I doubt people will.

Also I’m not sure why you brought up the fact that Cardi B is engaged to offset. These are industry rappers, since when did one industry rapper marrying another industry rapper mean anything?

Old 02-25-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
In 2018 NYC isn't even top 5.
Top 5? So name the top 4 and name the artist makin noise in those cities that people all over America and elsewhere. I gave you a list of NYC rappers that are making noise all over th country.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Negative sells now and days Chicago rappers changed the game even more in 2013
The drill music scene is dead. The rappers in Chicago who made it out of the drill scene are just main stream now. I don’t consider G Herbo, Lil Bobby, Chief Keef and Lil Durk as drill artist anymore. And if you look at the drill artist in Chicago now they all seem like rappers that are probably going to be in the hood forever. Same with the drill artist in Brooklyn even though there is a rapper named 22gz I want to blow up!

Old 02-25-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Except A boogie, Young MA, Dave East, Cardi b are hot outside of NYC. Oh and did I forget about designer and panda which was bumping all over the nation too? Lol how is this even a question?
Not sure if you are being serious or just being a hater bro. I love hip hop and listen to it as a hobby and I’m not shy to give NYC the L.

2003 - 2011. ATL ran hip hop easily and I enjoyed their run in hip hop. Those were the years NYc was taking Ls. During those years all nyc rappers were beefing with eachother, hating on outside talent and not doing anything at all really. Once ATL went strictly trap, it’s mainstream status went down a bit to have a bunch of hot local rappers. I’m probably the only NY dude who knows who Tracy T, No Plugs, Bankroll and Ralo and etc.

But for the past few years NYC has been releasing dope talent. And to make it even worse the rappers I just mentioned I know without a doubt that they are known in Baltimore so no need to front on city data! Lol

But the Beaty of hip hop today is that the talent is becoming more diverse with talent coming from many places.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Never heard of it.

Edit:
I just watched the video: aside from the location, there's nothing NYC about that song or video.

Southern beat
LA gang
Who judges hip hop like this? Lol

LA gang? There are bloods and Crips is about almost every city in the country. Since you are rooting for ATL you know almost every ATL rapper has ties to bloods and crips? Lol

Did you give J Cole any Ls for having NY influence on his music and beats?

69 a NY rapper and the point of this thread is to determine whose hot and 69 wether you like him or not has the most buzz right now in hip hop and that’s not even a debate lol.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:59 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Never heard of it.

Edit:

Southern beat
LA gang
Doesn't matter, he's a New York artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
You would be living under a rock because Tekashi 69 is arguably isthe hottest rapper right now.

3 songs on the top 100 list and he’s already about to have the highest first week numbers for a SoundCloud rapper. He’s also at the top of the charts in Apple and iTunes music.

That’s just your opinion but doesn’t make it a fact. The fact is A Boogie with the Hoodie, Don Q, Young Ma, Cardi B, Dave East, Jay Critch, French Montana, ASAP MOB and Joey Badass, Niki Minaj all are widely known all over the country. As far as I’m concerned that’s enough artist to have a conversation about where NYC stands as far as current hip hop!

And mind you I didn’t even say Casanova(who I think will Be known soon), uncle murda, Remy because those would be local rappers that no1 outside of NYC knows.

And as far as ATL trap music goes there are plenty of rappers that Aren’t known outside the A. Go to any city and ask people if they know who No Plug, Ralo or who Bankroll was, and I doubt people will.

Also I’m not sure why you brought up the fact that Cardi B is engaged to offset. These are industry rappers, since when did one industry rapper marrying another industry rapper mean anything?
Oh how could I forget about French Montana and ASAP, they've been consistently relevant. French had a smash hit last year. ASAP Rocky was part of that No Limit song which was/is huge. Plain Jane by

And yeah Tekashi69 is pretty big, he has videos with 80, 130 million youtube views. Gummo and Kooda are well known songs. I'm not sure if he's quite the hottest because I don't hear him on the radio as much as I did a couple months ago, however that may change with his new album. I predict Billy will be a hit but I don't know about the other songs.

Quote:
Except A boogie, Young MA, Dave East, Cardi b are hot outside of NYC. Oh and did I forget about designer and panda which was bumping all over the nation too? Lol how is this even a question?
Not sure if you are being serious or just being a hater bro. I love hip hop and listen to it as a hobby and I’m not shy to give NYC the L.

2003 - 2011. ATL ran hip hop easily and I enjoyed their run in hip hop. Those were the years NYc was taking Ls. During those years all nyc rappers were beefing with eachother, hating on outside talent and not doing anything at all really. Once ATL went strictly trap, it’s mainstream status went down a bit to have a bunch of hot local rappers. I’m probably the only NY dude who knows who Tracy T, No Plugs, Bankroll and Ralo and etc.

But for the past few years NYC has been releasing dope talent. And to make it even worse the rappers I just mentioned I know without a doubt that they are known in Baltimore so no need to front on city data! Lol

But the Beaty of hip hop today is that the talent is becoming more diverse with talent coming from many places.
Desiigner was huge when Panda came out, that is true. I don't think he has matched that success since then but the potential is there.

Quote:
Who judges hip hop like this? Lol

LA gang? There are bloods and Crips is about almost every city in the country. Since you are rooting for ATL you know almost every ATL rapper has ties to bloods and crips? Lol

Did you give J Cole any Ls for having NY influence on his music and beats?

69 a NY rapper and the point of this thread is to determine whose hot and 69 wether you like him or not has the most buzz right now in hip hop and that’s not even a debate lol.
Didn't J Cole film a music video in Queens too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City