Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 12:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Um if you are going to crown something you better be ready to factually back it up.

Your logic makes no sense. You can’t name 5 artist but somehow are placing crowns on people haha.

Do you realize how small 5 - 10 artist is for a whole entire region? Lmao!
You didn't say to name 5 for a "whole entire region," you said name 5 for each city. You knoe how easy it is, hell, you claim you already know who they are, so no point in me wasting my time searching for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2018, 12:34 PM

88 posts, read 50,746 times
Mainstream Rap - ATL
Underground Rap - NYC

Equal is my answer.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
Cmon y'all....

Old 03-02-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Kodeblues logic is that everything goes back to the south

Kodeblue logic:
If a New Yorker goes down than south that means W
If a southerner comes up to NYC than that means W
If a artist uses influence to make a hook on a beat for 1 song than that’s a W for the south haha.

With logic like that it’s pretty easy to see why someone might assume he’s trolling. Lol
The south is winning, and from an objective standpoint, you can't really argue against that fact. Your Hottest rapper associates with the south, that Tekashi guy is heavily influenced by the south. Southern rappers don't go out of their way to associate with NY rappers. That shows you how powerful of a region the south is. If

But you're concerned with Instagram followers, like southern rappers don't have millions on top of million of them.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory05 View Post
Mainstream Rap - ATL
Underground Rap - NYC

Equal is my answer.
This is more understandable than the claims BrooklynJo are making. No way in hell NYC is bigger than Atlanta in hiphop in 2018.

Old 03-02-2018, 01:52 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Ok bro, this conversation is going nowhere. Your parameter is instragram followers?

See what I mean about being corny. Instagram followers.
Man, are you joking. This whole thread is you using arbitrary parameters to make your point lol. You used a washed up woman's word who is simply offering lip service on a TV show as confirmation that Atlanta is the hip hop mecca (lmao), but you claim IG followers is an insignificant factor. If that's corny, then every major rapper in existence is corny; especially your beloved Southern rappers, as they all follow the same social media formula.

This is just becoming a joke now. Here's the situation; Atlanta is trendy, NYC is the foundation. Plain and simple. Atlanta rappers routinely travel to NYC to conduct business and build connections, stop acting like there's some exodus of hip-hop capital happening out there. Top radio stations still operate in NYC that give these rappers a platform to promote their work, except you won't see many Atlanta rappers spitting bars on Hot 97; for obvious reasons.

Also, there's a media label called 88rising that's doing more revolutionary things out of NYC, pushing the new Asian wave of hip-hop. That's true influence.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Man, are you joking. This whole thread is you using arbitrary parameters to make your point lol. You used a washed up woman's word who is simply offering lip service on a TV show as confirmation that Atlanta is the hip hop mecca (lmao), but you claim IG followers is an insignificant factor. If that's corny, then every major rapper in existence is corny; especially your beloved Southern rappers, as they all follow the same social media formula.

This is just becoming a joke now. Here's the situation; Atlanta is trendy, NYC is the foundation. Plain and simple. Atlanta rappers routinely travel to NYC to conduct business and build connections, stop acting like there's some exodus of hip-hop capital happening out there. Top radio stations still operate in NYC that give these rappers a platform to promote their work, except you won't see many Atlanta rappers spitting bars on Hot 97; for obvious reasons.

Also, there's a media label called 88rising that's doing more revolutionary things out of NYC, pushing the new Asian wave of hip-hop. That's true influence.
I highly recommend you say the same thing to the person who originally brought up love & hip-hop in the first place, if not, then don't talk to me about bringing it up.

Also, the same poster used the radio as a means to further his case, yet contradicts himself by saying that radio doesn't matter anymore. Again, speak to your side about that.

I agree that NYC is the foundation, but people don't care about that now. They haven't cared for 15 years. Atlanta is what's hot (a 15 year trend to be exact). The south is what's hot. NYC is washed up.

Who cares about HOT 97, The Breakfast Club is what people listen to, and Charlemagne, who is from the south, is the biggest draw to that show, so again, the south is in play in that situation as well... You can not escape the it.

Old 03-02-2018, 02:30 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,754 times
People will always care, I'm not sure where you get that distinction from unless you're talking about impressionable 14 yr olds who will eventually wisen up and learn about their own culture through a more clear lens, as most people over the age of 21 has done. People who listen to this new wave who are of mature age, also appreciate classic hip-hop. People will always appreciate the craft, it's just that hip-hop has become more multi-purpose and diverse. Don't go for the likes of Lil Yachty or Lonzo Ball who don't respect the greats before them, or have zero knowledge of their own culture that they seek validation from.

And millions of people care about Hot 97, you're bugging. The Breakfast Club is a morning talk show, that's a different beast. People have garnered millions of views for freestyles there, it's a staple in hip-hop and has high esteem in the culture.. If you look at the most popular freestyles, they're all Northern artists like Don Q, ASAP Mob, Young MA, A Boogie, Meek Mill, Loaded Lux, Black Thought, etc etc. This is your issue, you always discredit and defame points that conflicts with your narrative, saying immature remarks like "who cares about X". Just check the stats for your answer, inform yourself, brother. Don't use ignorance as a ploy.

Old 03-02-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
People will always care, I'm not sure where you get that distinction from unless you're talking about impressionable 14 yr olds who will eventually wisen up and learn about their own culture through a more clear lens, as most people over the age of 21 has done. People who listen to this new wave who are of mature age, also appreciate classic hip-hop. People will always appreciate the craft, it's just that hip-hop has become more multi-purpose and diverse. Don't go for the likes of Lil Yachty or Lonzo Ball who don't respect the greats before them, or have zero knowledge of their own culture that they seek validation from.

And millions of people care about Hot 97, you're bugging. The Breakfast Club is a morning talk show, that's a different beast. People have garnered millions of views for freestyles there, it's a staple in hip-hop and has high esteem in the culture.. If you look at the most popular freestyles, they're all Northern artists like Don Q, ASAP Mob, Young MA, A Boogie, Meek Mill, Loaded Lux, Black Thought, etc etc. This is your issue, you always discredit and defame points that conflicts with your narrative, saying immature remarks like "who cares about X". Just check the stats for your answer, inform yourself, brother. Don't use ignorance as a ploy.
Loaded Lux is my favorite battle rapper ever. I've been following his career since 05.

No, Hot 97 is highly respected in the NYC area, but the breakfast club has a larger fan base outside of NYC.

I suggest you do the same thing in regards to using ignorance as a ploy. I think the issue with New Yorkers is that they think their region still runs hiphop. You can listen to the local hip-hop station for any city in the country, and you can see for yourself which city gets more play on the airwaves.

I don't know why there such a debate about something that is backed by facts. Just turn on the radio

Old 03-02-2018, 03:53 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
1. Baltimore isn't a southern city. It is New York influenced just Philly. It has some southern influences but if you wanna keep it 100 all cities have some type of southern influence, even NYC. Tekashi69 has southern influence but so does every NY rapper that has came out since 50 cent. Every region contributes to the culture and I think it's cool. Just paying homage to one another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City