Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:03 PM

910 posts, read 1,084,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Can you define "Universally" in this context as it is such a vague term? Also, the rest of the world must be behind the times if they're naming any of the NYC artist that you've listen, considering the fact that the most recent album from any of them, which was Jay-z, was releases back in 2013, and is approaching 50 years old. Also, the south didn't complain when NYC rappers had their chests poked, crapping on the south. They also didn't complain back in the early 00's when it was painfully obvious that NYC had fallen off, yet The Source and XXL were writing 'when is NY rap coming back' articles every month. When NYC was running hip-hop, was their attitude a problem for you? It's ironic that you fight for NYC when your very own region, which is clearly in the south, is home to the two biggest Hip hop producers ever, and one of, if not, the biggest female rap artist ever.

Were telling people in NYC to get off of their high horse when NYC was on top?
Universally as in collective knowledge of the culture. In the OP it states "which is more famous around the world". When foreigners hear trap and mumble, they don't call it Atlanta music, it's just American. They don't even know Atlanta exists, really. Only we in America give it that identity. Yet when they hear classic hip-hop, thanks to movies like Wild Style and Beat Street, they immediately get images of NYC. Graffiti, breakdancing, the demeanor, battles, etc etc. Am I saying it's relevant today? No, it's not. It's still what's grounded as the reference for hip-hop culture all around the world, especially Europe and Asia. You'd be surprised at how many of these kids in places like Japan and Poland can have distinction between "trendy rap" and "real rap".

It's odd how you see historical context as being obsolete. When we talk about other genres of music, as a reference, we use older musicians who pioneered the genre. It's not really different for hip-hop. Jay Z is an undisputed legend in hip-hop, so what if he's pushing 50? That's not even a legitimate argument lol. Atlanta artists aren't used as references in hip-hop in nearly the same scope as a Jay Z or Nas.

As for your second point, no one could tell NYC anything, because NYC created what was rightfully theirs. Which is hip-hop. You're eating off the plate of NYC's raw creativity. Not asking you to kiss NYC's boots, but the least you can do is pay respect. And no, I'm not originally from Virginia, it's where I live now. Newburgh/NYC is my home. I love Virginia though, and it doesn't get enough credit for bridging the gap between the North and South in hip-hop.

The one thing I can say for Atlanta and the South as a whole is they keep the dance spirit alive, NYC had the Shmurda dance and Milly Rock, but that's nothing in comparison to how omnipresent Southern dancing is. The whole world dabs, it's amazing. They also set trends in jewelry, now everyone wants choker chains. I dunno what to think of that, though LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 PM

482 posts, read 398,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Universally, NYC reigns supreme. We're not talking "right now", we're talking about the world's reference and introduction into the culture.
But I thought we were talking about "right now". OP says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm asking which city is more famous for hip hop around the world.
I assumed this was a present-tense question. I mean, why would someone answer with the city they thought was more famous several decades ago? Yes hip hop was born and raised in NY, but I don't think anyone is disputing that. The dispute is that Atlanta is more famous for hip hop right now -- and it is possible for a place to be more famous right now without necessarily being better historically.

New York is hip hop's past, while Atlanta is the present and a large part of the future -- for better or for worse. If we're saying Atlanta can never be more famous because NY gave the world it's "introduction" to hip hop, that's like saying D.C can never be more famous than Philly since Philly was the first capital city.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:22 PM

Maybe I got the wrong idea, the OP seemed like it was speaking in general globally. I still hold to my initial point that NYC is more famous for hip hop than Atlanta, though.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Universally as in collective knowledge of the culture. In the OP it states "which is more famous around the world". When foreigners hear trap and mumble, they don't call it Atlanta music, it's just American. They don't even know Atlanta exists, really. Only we in America give it that identity. Yet when they hear classic hip-hop, thanks to movies like Wild Style and Beat Street, they immediately get images of NYC. Graffiti, breakdancing, the demeanor, battles, etc etc. Am I saying it's relevant today? No, it's not. It's still what's grounded as the reference for hip-hop culture all around the world, especially Europe and Asia. You'd be surprised at how many of these kids in places like Japan and Poland can have distinction between "trendy rap" and "real rap".

It's odd how you see historical context as being obsolete. When we talk about other genres of music, as a reference, we use older musicians who pioneered the genre. It's not really different for hip-hop. Jay Z is an undisputed legend in hip-hop, so what if he's pushing 50? That's not even a legitimate argument lol. Atlanta artists aren't used as references in hip-hop in nearly the same scope as a Jay Z or Nas.

As for your second point, no one could tell NYC anything, because NYC created what was rightfully theirs. Which is hip-hop. You're eating off the plate of NYC's raw creativity. Not asking you to kiss NYC's boots, but the least you can do is pay respect. And no, I'm not originally from Virginia, it's where I live now. Newburgh/NYC is my home. I love Virginia though, and it doesn't get enough credit for bridging the gap between the North and South in hip-hop.

The one thing I can say for Atlanta and the South as a whole is they keep the dance spirit alive, NYC had the Shmurda dance and Milly Rock, but that's nothing in comparison to how omnipresent Southern dancing is. The whole world dabs, it's amazing. They also set trends in jewelry, now everyone wants choker chains. I dunno what to think of that, though LOL
I'm glad that Atlanta has more than just Trap and Mumble rappers. You're saying that Atlanta is defining American music then if that's what they see. You logic dictates that these foreign places are stuck in the 80's and 90's. I did some searching for foreign rappers, particularly Asian, and I see that most of them are influenced by Chicago, LA, and ATL; there are Asian drill rappers out there..lol. I never said that Jay-z, or any of the other rappers that you named aren't legends; they're actually some of my favorite rappers in my favorite era; I'm saying that they are old rappers. They don't influence the genre the way Atlanta artist do today.

Nobody can tell Atlanta, or the south, anything since they really didn't ask NYC if they can have the top spot; they took it, changed the locks on the doors, and are only issues temporary visitor badges to NYC rappers.

NYC created hip-hop, but it has become irrelevant to the genre.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Maybe I got the wrong idea, the OP seemed like it was speaking in general globally. I still hold to my initial point that NYC is more famous for hip hop than Atlanta, though.
The first question was "Which city produces the most hip hop today?" I think that people are purposely omitting that question.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Well considering that the music labeled as hip-hop coming out of Atlanta isn't really hip-hop, easily New York. Atlanta is known for trap, not hip-hop.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 PM

^^ That wasn't a question, he was stating what he wasn't asking for. I think you got the premise of the thread confused.

I'll say this: Atlanta is the wave, but NYC was the tsunami. Maybe Atlanta can keep pushing and become a tsunami, but right now, it's still just a wave. It has to mature and foster some depth to do so. People are more influenced these days by Chicago and ATL because it's where the money/energy is, but people were behind NYC hip-hop during those times for different reasons. It had lots of impact politically, socially, and culturally that I don't think Atlanta hasn't really gotten to yet. It's just lots of fun and experimenting going on, just like hip-hop in the early-80s. Let's see what happens in 10 years.

And honestly, they should just get rid of the hip-hop label and do their own thing. I've noticed a lot of these guys don't even like being labeled as hip-hop anyways. Special snowflake era, for sure.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well considering that the music labeled as hip-hop coming out of Atlanta isn't really hip-hop, easily New York. Atlanta is known for trap, not hip-hop.
It's hip-hop. If that's the case, then NYC rappers emulating Atlanta rappers aren't rappers either.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:11 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
It's hip-hop. If that's the case, then NYC rappers emulating Atlanta rappers aren't rappers either.
I never mentioned rappers. Artists like Lil Uzi, xxxtentacion, etc do not hold the same values, styles, influence, lyrical content, etc as artists like Lupe Fiasco, Joe Budden, Pac, J. Cole, etc. They are quintessential hip-hop.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I never mentioned rappers. Artists like Lil Uzi, xxxtentacion, etc do not hold the same values, styles, influence, lyrical content, etc as artists like Lupe Fiasco, Joe Budden, Pac, J. Cole, etc. They are quintessential hip-hop.
Well, What do those artist do outside of rap?

They are rappers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City