Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:05 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
"Thot" and "Opps" came from Chicago. I agree, however, no one really knows who started most of what we say at this point.
And as blacks migrate it will keep getting more mixed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
And as blacks migrate it will keep getting more mixed!
You don't even have to migrate. The music and social media will spread slang far quicker than migration.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Yea people use the word FACTS a lot and that is indeed a NYC/NJ term.

Also sometimes you’ll hear people say “son” in various regions here and there!
I personally don't hear people says "facts" or call people "son" outside of New Yorkers or its inhabitants.

Here in Baltimore instead of "facts," they say, "already" like, 'you already know.'

Old 05-17-2018, 07:06 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I personally don't hear people says "facts" or call people "son" outside of New Yorkers or its inhabitants.

Here in Baltimore instead of "facts," they say, "already" like, 'you already know.'
You don’t have to hear it. You can see it all over Facebook comments or Instagram etc in reference to “facts”.

And I’ve definitely seen Chicago drill artist use the word facts many times!

Old 05-17-2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
You don’t have to hear it. You can see it all over Facebook comments or Instagram etc in reference to “facts”.

I don't doubt it.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:17 PM

42 posts, read 41,011 times
Default Female Mc’s

I have been reading through the post and have previously posted before. I have been nostalgic for hip hop recently and have been going though some videos and YouTube’s of some notable Philadelphians in Hip Hop like grand masters of funk, steady b and others and have reached a conclusion......Despite all of this debate about Atlanta.....being this or that....The famous female MC’s from Philadelphia were devastating with their lyrical flow and cannot be touched by the current crop of (so callled hip hop rappers ) from Atlanta - men or woman now......I was just listening to the complexity of what Bahama Dia has done......Eve was a potential monster in the mic and could dust off most fellas, Charlie BALTIMORE was pretty good also .....Lady B was the first female on wax- and her style seems dated today, but was nonetheless critical in the development of the genre. Sime from Atlanta have claimed Lisa Left Eye Lopez but she was in fact from PHILLY and you could tell by her attitude and ryming ability......even though she didn’t rhyme much.......yu could tell that it was in her....by her few rhymes recorded.

Again, I will say that music played todaythat is being described as hip hop pales in comparison qualitatively to the golden era hop and the artist that I mentioned above, the females in particular exemplify their quality in their products .......Go and listen to 3 the hard way by bahama dia and I recently saw one of her live performance videos......she is for real ....she’s not acting for some camera like the so called rappers today......her steel was sharpened by steel in a hip hop cauldron (Philadelphia and New York ...boy referred to as hip hop metropolis by black bought of the roots) where only the best cream rose to the top........it seems like today everyone on the radio just recites the same old 3o words at a slow pace and kick in with a “yeah” and expect the true hip hop audience from the golden era to applause.........frankly I just scratch and shake my head and wonder how this art form has fallen so low.............I guess it’s sort of like boxing today, the best seeem to avoid the best . ........back in the day the best were the best because hey took on all takers and fought the best and fought 4 or 5 times a year. Unlike today where fighters fight once or twice a year.

Also, I was listening to some pop 40 the other day and noticed that the pop 40 ryhmers on the pop 40 songs are rhyming better than the so called hip hop songs today......

Thats like Madonna out rhyming Big Daddy Cane.....can you imagine? And I guess the audience from Atlanta is probably thinking, what’s wrong with Madonna out rhyming big Daddy Cane so long as Modinna sells more records and makes more money, everything is fine......if the Art form wasn’t so debased, simplified and diluted down to the point where anyone could do it, Madonna couldn’t outdo Cane..........but sadly enough in today’s world, with what passes for Hip Hop, Modonna can out Ryme Cane.

To revive the art form, it may have to go back to its live, competitive, improvasational roots.

Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstreetexpresstrain View Post
I have been reading through the post and have previously posted before. I have been nostalgic for hip hop recently and have been going though some videos and YouTube’s of some notable Philadelphians in Hip Hop like grand masters of funk, steady b and others and have reached a conclusion......Despite all of this debate about Atlanta.....being this or that....The famous female MC’s from Philadelphia were devastating with their lyrical flow and cannot be touched by the current crop of (so callled hip hop rappers ) from Atlanta - men or woman now......I was just listening to the complexity of what Bahama Dia has done......Eve was a potential monster in the mic and could dust off most fellas, Charlie BALTIMORE was pretty good also .....Lady B was the first female on wax- and her style seems dated today, but was nonetheless critical in the development of the genre. Sime from Atlanta have claimed Lisa Left Eye Lopez but she was in fact from PHILLY and you could tell by her attitude and ryming ability......even though she didn’t rhyme much.......yu could tell that it was in her....by her few rhymes recorded.

Again, I will say that music played todaythat is being described as hip hop pales in comparison qualitatively to the golden era hop and the artist that I mentioned above, the females in particular exemplify their quality in their products .......Go and listen to 3 the hard way by bahama dia and I recently saw one of her live performance videos......she is for real ....she’s not acting for some camera like the so called rappers today......her steel was sharpened by steel in a hip hop cauldron (Philadelphia and New York ...boy referred to as hip hop metropolis by black bought of the roots) where only the best cream rose to the top........it seems like today everyone on the radio just recites the same old 3o words at a slow pace and kick in with a “yeah” and expect the true hip hop audience from the golden era to applause.........frankly I just scratch and shake my head and wonder how this art form has fallen so low.............I guess it’s sort of like boxing today, the best seeem to avoid the best . ........back in the day the best were the best because hey took on all takers and fought the best and fought 4 or 5 times a year. Unlike today where fighters fight once or twice a year.

Also, I was listening to some pop 40 the other day and noticed that the pop 40 ryhmers on the pop 40 songs are rhyming better than the so called hip hop songs today......

Thats like Madonna out rhyming Big Daddy Cane.....can you imagine? And I guess the audience from Atlanta is probably thinking, what’s wrong with Madonna out rhyming big Daddy Cane so long as Modinna sells more records and makes more money, everything is fine......if the Art form wasn’t so debased, simplified and diluted down to the point where anyone could do it, Madonna couldn’t outdo Cane..........but sadly enough in today’s world, with what passes for Hip Hop, Modonna can out Ryme Cane.

To revive the art form, it may have to go back to its live, competitive, improvasational roots.
Kids and young adults today don't remember the rappers that you've mentioned. They know about the southern rappers today. We don't really argue album sales because the dynamics of the music industry has changed so much, that actual units aren't as easy to keep a tally of. One particular New Yorker suggested using Instagram followers to further his case.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:17 AM

910 posts, read 1,085,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstreetexpresstrain View Post

Not with Atlanta around, you can kiss that goodbye. They culture vulture'd their own culture lol. Played right into the industry's hands. It's what happens when you support the wrong people for the wrong reasons.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:47 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:

You do here facts. Didn't know that was a NY/NJ term. But you do see it. I meet nobody that says son in any region.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:54 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,400,099 times
I don't know if I said it in this thread, but I grew up in the 90's 2000's T Payne and Lil John almost killed hip hop. I listen to main stream stuff and Lil John and TPayne were nails on a chalkboard. Get Low Get Low Get Low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City