Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times

Advertisements

LA
The scene has been sitting pretty since late 2013 - Gotta keep watching though, hopefully it doesn't slow.
YG
K.Dot and TDE
DJ Mustard (beats are cross-country everybody works with him)
03 Greedo (got locked up earlier this year, unfortunately) but i think it may get reduced.
Tyler The Creator
Nipsey (Top Rated Album of 2018 by the critics)

Last edited by BoiWonder13; 07-09-2018 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: BOLD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,401,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiWonder13 View Post
LA
The scene has been sitting pretty since late 2013 - Gotta keep watching though, hopefully it doesn't slow.
YG
K.Dot and TDE
DJ Mustard (beats are cross-country everybody works with him)
03 Greedo (got locked up earlier this year, unfortunately) but i think it may get reduced.
Tyler The Creator
Nipsey (Top Rated Album of 2018 by the critics)
LA music scene is dope!

But what I respect about LA is real lyricism. Not that mumble jumble trash!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:04 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Well thats what I stated earlier.Its more diverse from many more places BUT one city that stands out as still having more hits,producers and rappers,still hail or rep ATL.

NYC is in a bubble.
I remember in the 90s they were playing rap from down South every where but NYC.You would see the videos on BET but when I was in NYC you rarely heard Southern artist on the radio.New Yorkers refused to acknowledge them,
Guccie Mane is not washed up.Not my favorite but he is everywhere from what I have seen.He has been in the top 20 singles last year and in the U.K as well.His album last year also did well.
Even in Vogue and the New Yorker
https://www.vogue.com/article/gucci-...-video-release

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page...gle-to-be-seen
Which is irony. Considering the fact alot of NYC artist sound like southern artist today. I remember when everybody mocked houston for originating syrup sipping and screwed and chopped back in the day. Now its popular. S&C is very popular in the underground scene and overseas today and now every rapper wants to sip syrup.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Which is irony. Considering the fact alot of NYC artist sound like southern artist today. I remember when everybody mocked houston for originating syrup sipping and screwed and chopped back in the day. Now its popular. S&C is very popular in the underground scene and overseas today and now every rapper wants to sip syrup.
Name the NYC artist that’s poppin now sound southern? Young Ma, Don Q, A Boogie, Dave East, 69, French Montana, Fabolous, Casanova etc.

I have no shame admitting that Deaigner is one!

Old 07-09-2018, 08:21 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Name the NYC artist that’s poppin now sound southern? Young Ma, Don Q, A Boogie, Dave East, 69, French Montana, Fabolous, Casanova etc.

I have no shame admitting that Deaigner is one!
French definitely has a southern influence.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:41 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
Quote:
I don’t recall hearing down south rap in Boston or Philly radios back in the 90s either!

Quick question who has more of a following? Gucci or French Montana?
Im not a hige hip hop guy but its all around me.I generally like certain artist but im more of an R and B guy.
Thats maybe a tie but Im not the authority.I just know what I know.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:38 PM

413 posts, read 437,991 times
All due respect to ATL and there scene which has made waves especially since the turn of the millennium but imo there is simply no comparison to be had the birthplace and the mecca has no equal period. I appreciate what other regions have done to grow and expand the culture and they certainly have a place some larger then others but when ppl who think about hip hop and hip hop culture think of one place more then likely its gonna be New York even if the Hip Hop scene here commercially isn't nearly as dominant as it used to be its still New York.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Proud View Post
Im not a hige hip hop guy but its all around me.I generally like certain artist but im more of an R and B guy.
Thats maybe a tie but Im not the authority.I just know what I know.
Hey RnB is dope so good stuff!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Hey RnB is dope so good stuff!

Old 07-26-2018, 12:23 AM

This is really interesting about Atlanta hip hop underground scene years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU93CT0VeE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City