Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More famous for hip hop?
Atlanta 77 22.92%
New York City 231 68.75%
Equal 28 8.33%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 10:20 PM

111 posts, read 93,182 times

Advertisements

These days it is easily Atlanta. I wouldn't even put the current New York scene above LA or Houston tbh.

Overall as in all throughout history then yes the obvious answer is New York as that is where hip hop was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
97 is way too early. it wasn't until 01-03 that ATL came up (think Welcome to Atlanta, '01 and the crunk got big in '03).

The early 2000s was the upcome of Dipset, Fabulous, Just Blaze, 50 Cent, Ja Rule, Bad Boy (The Saga Continues). 1998-2001 was also prime DMX. 2002 was the year Honey came out.
Outkast and Goodie Mob were also big in the early 90s, but NYC dominated hip hop.

Since hip hop's birth, Atlanta has dominated for more years. Even if it was 2003 until now.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:27 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Even the golden era of hip hop (Biggie, Nas, Jay z years) was mostly influenced by DJ Premier from Houston. The southern USA is hip hop, is more known for it. And Atlanta is the capital.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:31 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Outkast and Goodie Mob were also big in the early 90s, but NYC dominated hip hop.

Since hip hop's birth, Atlanta has dominated for more years. Even if it was 2003 until now.
Hip Hop was born ~1972.

1972-2002 was NYC
2003-2021 is Atlanta 30 years vs 18.

I'm well aware of 1990s ATL but it was still very much fighting for respect from people in NYC that entire decade and it wasn't until Aquemini and the Olympics (1996) that it began to emerge on a national scene. Even still ti was being obliterated by NYC from 1996-2001 in every which a way

Old 07-19-2021, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Hip Hop was born ~1972.

1972-2002 was NYC
2003-2021 is Atlanta 30 years vs 18.

I'm well aware of 1990s ATL but it was still very much fighting for respect from people in NYC that entire decade and it wasn't until Aquemini and the Olympics (1996) that it began to emerge on a national scene. Even still ti was being obliterated by NYC from 1996-2001 in every which a way
Okay, let me be more specific: In terms of reaching the masses: NYC late 80's to 97, Atlanta 2003 - TBD.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Okay, let me be more specific: In terms of reaching the masses: NYC late 80's to 97, Atlanta 2003 - TBD.
Still wrong....if you stop at 97 you miss most of Mase, Jay, 50, Ja, Dipset, Fabolous, Fat Joe not to mention hits from Peter Gunz, Kelis, Lil Kim, Amil, Fugeees (NJ), LL cool J, Diddy/Loon/Black Rob/G. DEP, Mr. Cheeks, the Lox, Lloyd Banks, Shyne, Noreaga, PUN, Nina Sky, QTip, Busta Rhymes lol... 97 is a terrible cut off because hip hop hit its first commercial peak around 98/99 and it's almost 100% NYC driven.

There is no 6 year hole from 97-03 that's still NYC so much so they had to open a subset of the Roc in Philly just to get new sounds...

I didn't vote because in some ways it's a tie but I just wanna get us right on the timeline here. I just listed 25 for NYC artist with major hits from 98-03

Old 07-20-2021, 12:20 AM

In these forums I learn how different hip hop is valued in different areas.

Like LA hip hop only seemed relevant to me because the labels house you out in Calabassas. Bay Area is more creative-but also way more isolated.

Houston was scene as on and off but at times gimmicky until recently. Preme being from Houston was considered a major anomaly.

ATL is valid but I probably give more consideration to NYC than posters from the South. The radio and the car speakers on the street in Baltimore is different with less A Boogie, French Montana, Fivio Foriegn, Fab, etc. The conversation surrounding music don't include Jim Jones last album (fantastic) nor Nas’...NLE Choppa, King Von, Lil Durk, Queen Naija, Moneybagg (my guy), G Herbo, Thugger, Pooh Sheisty are held in a bit more high regard/ehich is probably how it is nationwide. Most of that Toronto Sound doesn't seem popular here either.

Now granted-Chicago is influential too.

Old 07-20-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Still wrong....if you stop at 97 you miss most of Mase, Jay, 50, Ja, Dipset, Fabolous, Fat Joe not to mention hits from Peter Gunz, Kelis, Lil Kim, Amil, Fugeees (NJ), LL cool J, Diddy/Loon/Black Rob/G. DEP, Mr. Cheeks, the Lox, Lloyd Banks, Shyne, Noreaga, PUN, Nina Sky, QTip, Busta Rhymes lol... 97 is a terrible cut off because hip hop hit its first commercial peak around 98/99 and it's almost 100% NYC driven.

There is no 6 year hole from 97-03 that's still NYC so much so they had to open a subset of the Roc in Philly just to get new sounds...

I didn't vote because in some ways it's a tie but I just wanna get us right on the timeline here. I just listed 25 for NYC artist with major hits from 98-03
I don't think you're comprehending what I'm saying. I can name 10-15 Atlanta artists from the early 90s and make the same arguments. I'm speaking about the peak years for NY and ATL. New York slowly fell off after 97 and Atlanta took off in the early 2000s. Of course, both cities had numerous artists during each city's peak, but New York's music from 98 and after continued to fall off while Atlanta took over.

Old 07-20-2021, 01:08 AM

994 posts, read 780,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstreetexpresstrain View Post
All of the people mentioning that Atlanta is the home of HIP HOP now must look at this from a historical perspective.

Atlanta boosters must remember that previously Detroit was the center of the music universe with Motown in the 50s and 60s, but times and the music changed and the music industry moved on from Detroit to other cities. Previously Philadelphia was the center of the sound of Philadelphia for R&B with Philly International and Gamble and Huff in the 70s, Doo wop/Rock and roll in the 50s with American Band Stand, played a big roll in shaping disco in the 70s, and contributed significantly to early and middle Hip Hop in the 80s and 90s but times and the music changed and the industry left the city for other locations.

Atlanta should look to the past and understand that the music will someday change and the industry will dry up and move away to some other less expensive city ….like Little Rock Arkansas, Topeka Kansas or Boise Idahoe just because of business decisions to save money.

Atlanta is prominent now because the powers that be decided to make business decisions to save money instead of being in expensive New York….and now since the industry is there…..the music has changed to reflect its location…. When the industry moves on to a less expensive location again, the music will change again to align with the tastes of its location.

BSET

https://youtu.be/kw5VkI2JAqM
The cost of business had nothing to do with Atlanta's rise. Though, IMO, it's still no where close overall to NYC ... though I'll give it the nod over LA based off the last 20 years.

Atlanta's rise, like NYC in the beginning and then LA after, was due to homegrown artists.

There are a lot of cities that back in the early to mid 90s (when hip hop/rap was so NYC and LA dominated) that could have been Atlanta ... Houston/Bay Area/New Orleans/Cleveland/Memphis, etc., but none were able to do what Atlanta did in take their breakthrough artist/group/sound (in Atlanta's case Outkast) and turn that into dozens (then hundreds) of successful acts via LaFace, Organized Noise, So-So Def and branch from there. New Orleans was close in the mid-to-late 90s with No-Limit and Cash Money but they played themselves out by oversaturating the market with bad weekly records (lol, every week they released some mostly horrible albums that IMO didn't allow the ones who had talent, like say a lyricist like Mac, to get their proper due).

The early Atlanta rappers, though, actually had talent (Outkast, Goodie Mob, Cool Breeze, Witchdoctor, PA) ... Actually, Kilo (A-Town Funk or something like that) came before Outkast but that was trash ... remember buying that album out a $1 bin in like 92 and it was a waste of money. Never been a fan of Lil Jon but he easily is No. 2 behind Outkast that made Atlanta rap what it is on the mainstream with crunk. ... though between crunk (at least that is an organic sound) and NY going so commercial/pop in the late 90s, is why the genre is what it is today.

Old 07-20-2021, 04:42 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
To be clear, I am not asking the following:

-Which city produces the most hip hop today
-Which city has hip hop as a more significant part of its culture
-Which city has hip hop as a more significant part of its identity ("NYC is known for many things while Atlanta is known more for hip hop")
-Which city has the hottest artists

I'm asking which city is more famous for hip hop around the world. I figured it was an interesting question considering that the NY scene is past its prime while the same doesn't appear to be true for Atlanta's.
Based on those questions I'd say they are equal. Now if you did ask about currently then it would be Atlanta for sure, as someone mentioned NYC's hip-hop scene was bigger in the 1990's with Biggy, Jay-Z, P-Diddy, etc. Now based on the actual question, I'm not sure if people think of the current trap music and think "that's Atlanta". Maybe they did with the crunk scene in the 2000's with Lil Jon, and with artists like Ludacris and T. I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City