Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cincinnati vs. Salt Lake City
Cincinnati 32 52.46%
Salt Lake City 29 47.54%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 08:38 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times

Advertisements

Not intending to stray off topic, but this happens almost every time Utah or Salt Lake is the subject. Mormons, Mormons, Mormons. If we substituted "Jewish" or "Muslim" or even "Zarathustrianism" for LDS we couldn't even mention it, that would be deemed intolerant. I have no dog in this hunt, but for some reason it is okay to speak harshly about this religion and not others. I have noted in my 61 years, MOST opinions about LDS members are just that. Opinions, with very little based on actual facts. Many by commenters that have never been to Utah or knowingly met a Mormon in their lives. I don't believe I've ever run across a comment on this wonderful site stating that someone can't live in NYC due to the "Jewish" influence?

OK, off my soapbox.

Sincerely,

A lifelong Roman Catholic who lived in SLC for 13 years.

PS- I believe it's also acceptable to deprecate Catholics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:33 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Not intending to stray off topic, but this happens almost every time Utah or Salt Lake is the subject. Mormons, Mormons, Mormons. If we substituted "Jewish" or "Muslim" or even "Zarathustrianism" for LDS we couldn't even mention it, that would be deemed intolerant. I have no dog in this hunt, but for some reason it is okay to speak harshly about this religion and not others. I have noted in my 61 years, MOST opinions about LDS members are just that. Opinions, with very little based on actual facts. Many by commenters that have never been to Utah or knowingly met a Mormon in their lives. I don't believe I've ever run across a comment on this wonderful site stating that someone can't live in NYC due to the "Jewish" influence?

OK, off my soapbox.
Your soapbox comments were very apropos. Sometimes I feel as if everything bad about Salt Lake City is thought to be "because of the Mormons" and everything good about Salt Lake City is "despite the Mormons." And this is all seen as perfectly acceptable by otherwise tolerant, open-minded people.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:33 AM

389 posts, read 330,049 times
SLC seems way too isolated for me. I don't ski so I think I'd get a little bored being so remote from everything. Cincy metro is not only twice the size of SLC but it is closely surrounded by 5 other metros, each unique with much to offer, and some as big as Cincy itself.

SLC has beautiful mountain vistas. But then Cincy is located near some of the most stunning hiking areas in the USA with Red River Gorge and Hocking hills.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:28 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms12345 View Post
SLC seems way too isolated for me. I don't ski so I think I'd get a little bored being so remote from everything. Cincy metro is not only twice the size of SLC but it is closely surrounded by 5 other metros, each unique with much to offer, and some as big as Cincy itself.

SLC has beautiful mountain vistas. But then Cincy is located near some of the most stunning hiking areas in the USA with Red River Gorge and Hocking hills.
Cincinnati is a great place and it's one of my favorite cities. However, population figures can be a little deceiving. Although SLC is absolutely in the middle of nowhere, here is the breakdown between City Proper, MSA and CSA (2016 est, Wikipedia):

City Proper
Salt Lake City: 193,744
Cincinnati: 298,800

Metropolitan Statistical Areas
Salt Lake City: 1,186,187
Cincinnati: 2,165,139

Combined Statistical Areas
Salt Lake City: 2,514,748
Cincinnati: 2,224,231

Salt Lake is a strip metro approximately 30-40 miles wide and over 110 miles long. It is solid city from Brigham City in the north to Spanish Fork in the south. Because of the geography, the city is very restricted on where it can grow. To me, it seems much larger than it is. Here's both, each unique in its own way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City