Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 03:43 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
With the Loop in the top 20, I kinda expected to see one of Chicago's other downtown neighborhoods like River North in the top 50 as well. None of them made it though, which means the rest of the city certainly wasn't even close then considering how much of the large developments happen downtown.
Well the loop gained 2,830 apartments in 8 buildings according to the list. River North gained FAR more units than this, so either they're cutting everything up into little "neighborhoods" randomly, or the list just isn't complete.

South Loop and West Loop have also gained thousands and thousands of new units, but they aren't listed here. Not sure what their definition of "neighborhoods" are. That's the problem.

Chicago built over 30,000 new residential units in the city from 2010 to 2016. A large majority of those were larger buildings in the immediate downtown area. For the city to barely make the list of the top 50 neighborhoods where it gets down to only needing 1,500 units to get into the list - obviously it's incomplete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM

59 posts, read 68,443 times
These numbers are for apartment rentals not condo's.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugo1978 View Post
These numbers are for apartment rentals not condo's.
Well it does come from RentCafe.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:35 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I agree that these neighborhoods would have a lot of new housing and a good portion of that would be rentals. Since 2010, Miami's 35.87 m2 added over 1500 ppl/m2. This sort of densification doesn't happen in 6 years with single family homes in such a small land area. Most of Miami proper's 54,000+ new residents are being housed in multifamily. The question is whether or not those are owned or rented.
That said, I agree that Omni, Brickell & Downtown have added a lot of residents but I'd expand that list to include Midtown/Wynwood & Edgewater as well. For the most part, these smallish (by land area) neighborhoods daisy-chain from one to the other over the course of 4-5 miles.
Yes, I think Miami's showing is a very direct result of both how its neighborhoods are likely chopped off and how Miami leans towards buying rather than renting in places that offer a large number of units.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Well the loop gained 2,830 apartments in 8 buildings according to the list. River North gained FAR more units than this, so either they're cutting everything up into little "neighborhoods" randomly, or the list just isn't complete.

South Loop and West Loop have also gained thousands and thousands of new units, but they aren't listed here. Not sure what their definition of "neighborhoods" are. That's the problem.

Chicago built over 30,000 new residential units in the city from 2010 to 2016. A large majority of those were larger buildings in the immediate downtown area. For the city to barely make the list of the top 50 neighborhoods where it gets down to only needing 1,500 units to get into the list - obviously it's incomplete.
Were those units in 50+ units per dwelling buildings though? This thing strongly sides towards large multi-unit rental projects and those areas that recovered faster from the recession. I think much of it has to do with both the neighborhood area considered and meeting the actual type of unit criteria they're using.

All in all, I think with the more lopsided example of Miami which I believe very strongly favors purchases, the list is a good rough proxy for the relative amount of population growth different neighborhoods are having across the country. Nothing of the top 10 or top 50 strikes me as particularly out of character.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM

429 posts, read 479,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, I think Miami's showing is a very direct result of both how its neighborhoods are likely chopped off and how Miami leans towards buying rather than renting in places that offer a large number of units.

Were those units in 50+ units per dwelling buildings though? This thing strongly sides towards large multi-unit rental projects and those areas that recovered faster from the recession. I think much of it has to do with both the neighborhood area considered and meeting the actual type of unit criteria they're using.

All in all, I think with the more lopsided example of Miami which I believe very strongly favors purchases, the list is a good rough proxy for the relative amount of population growth different neighborhoods are having across the country. Nothing of the top 10 or top 50 strikes me as particularly out of character.
The fact that Seattle and Miami are both absent from the top 10 points to this not being a very useful list (most notably, as others have mentioned, because of the lack of consistency in neighborhood sizes).

Old 06-19-2017, 05:43 PM

37,150 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward234 View Post
The fact that Seattle and Miami are both absent from the top 10 points to this not being a very useful list (most notably, as others have mentioned, because of the lack of consistency in neighborhood sizes).
Seattle is on the extended list with multiple entries. The other ones make sense as NYC and LA are growing in very concentrated areas (and with massive raw numbers), and the Bay Area and Texan cities have definitely been booming in a way that nowhere else in the US has been.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:21 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
Quote:
Seattle is on the extended list with multiple entries. The other ones make sense as NYC and LA are growing in very concentrated areas (and with massive raw numbers), and the Bay Area and Texan cities have definitely been booming in a way that nowhere else in the US has been.
I think the list was not accurate it broke downtown Seattle into several small neighborhoods but some cities it just used there downtown count . The same for Miami.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Once again, the study only included the 30 largest cities. Miami's municipal population is not in the top 30. It likely didn't even get considered at all.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
In Chicago, yes, virtually all of them were apartment units in many dozens of large highrise buildings built in the immediate downtown area. 43 tower construction crane permits were issued in 2016 alone.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:15 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
This list is missing Midtown Atlanta.

131 Ponce - 280 Apartments
5th & Peachtree - 290 Apartments
Skyhouse South - 320 Apartments
Alta Midtown - 343 Apartments
Square on Fifth - 230 Apartments
77 12th Street - 330 Apartments
60 11th Steet - 300 Apartments
Atlantic House - 400 Apartments
Skyhouse Midtown - 320 Apartments

~2800ish total

All of these are completed, leasing projects, strictly within Midtown, and there are some missing ones from this list.

Not necessarily top 10, but absolutely in the top 50 list (follow the link).

I wonder what else is missing. Not a single Florida neighborhood, nothing in the Carolinas, Nashville. There must be neighborhoods in all those places that are >1,500 rental units by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City