Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 08:20 PM

96 posts, read 180,191 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have lived in SF for the last 10 yrs and now my dh, who is in software, has the opportunity to transfer to either Indianapolis or RTP but we're having a hard time deciding. I'm originally from Chicago and dh is originally from a European capital, so we're used to big cities w/a more cosmopolitan vibe. We also have a 7 year old with an IEP so schools are important. I've always lived in cities but in quieter, more residential areas near parks and wood-like areas (proximity to nature is important; also miss four seasons). Ideally, we'd be looking for a SFH under 400K, 3 bdrm and at least 1800 sq ft with mature trees. The job market seems healthier in the Raleigh-Durham area yet the schools seem worse? At least that's what I've heard. I'm not a fan of hot, humid weather but Indy seems only slightly better in that regard.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Fata Morgana; 06-18-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 09:20 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Raleigh-Durham is a better, more vibrant area. The higher education and job opportunities are also better. I would choose Raleigh-Durham.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:05 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times
Rdu

Old 06-18-2017, 10:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
They're both good cities in awful states (politically). Indy will have quick access to your hometown if that's important. North Carolina is probably the better state overall and has mountains, oceans, etc. so if you're accustomed to that in SF you can get your fix pretty easily. Just be prepared for summer and not so good weather compared to CA.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Thank you for the input so far.

Proximity to Chicago is def not a factor for us but access to the ocean and mountains is a major plus (we will miss the nature here). We would both prefer the more vibrant area, with a better job market as well as the more naturally scenic/beautiful of the two and it sounds like that would be RDU based on the answers so far. Hopefully more will chime in.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I think Raleigh ultimately will be a better fit. In the areas that RDU falls short, Indy would as well. But overall I think there's just a tad bit more momentum down there and a more progressive vibe.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata Morgana View Post
Thank you for the input so far.

Proximity to Chicago is def not a factor for us but access to the ocean and mountains is a major plus (we will miss the nature here). We would both prefer the more vibrant area, with a better job market as well as the more naturally scenic/beautiful of the two and it sounds like that would be RDU based on the answers so far. Hopefully more will chime in.
From what I've seen about RDU, both cities seem pretty equally vibrant, with a slight edge going to Indy because it's a major event city, and larger. Indy also has a pretty great tech scene, and has Salesforces's largest office outside of SF, with more tech companies moving in. But if scenic beauty is that important to you, it's probably best to avoid Indy. Beaches on Lake Michigan aren't too far, but Indiana doesn't hold a candle to North Carolina when it comes to scenery. I just moved from Indy to San Diego and can't get over how much more beautiful it is here. If you got specific with your Indy search, Geist reservoir is a large lake in a fairly hilly and wooded area. If you're on the Hamilton County side of the lake, public schools are fantastic. Eagle Creek is also a very very nice park within the city, but isn't residential.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
From what I've seen about RDU, both cities seem pretty equally vibrant, with a slight edge going to Indy because it's a major event city, and larger. Indy also has a pretty great tech scene, and has Salesforces's largest office outside of SF, with more tech companies moving in. But if scenic beauty is that important to you, it's probably best to avoid Indy. Beaches on Lake Michigan aren't too far, but Indiana doesn't hold a candle to North Carolina when it comes to scenery. I just moved from Indy to San Diego and can't get over how much more beautiful it is here. If you got specific with your Indy search, Geist reservoir is a large lake in a fairly hilly and wooded area. If you're on the Hamilton County side of the lake, public schools are fantastic. Eagle Creek is also a very very nice park within the city, but isn't residential.
Thank you for the local insight, wh15395. Are there woods or forest preserve (what they were called in Chicago) type areas in North Indianapolis or Hamilton County?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:49 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fata Morgana View Post
Thank you for the local insight, wh15395. Are there woods or forest preserve (what they were called in Chicago) type areas in North Indianapolis or Hamilton County?
As a former Indy resident, there are some really nice parks (Central Park in Carmel, which is in Hamilton County), but the area is not "wooded" in the sense that most of NC is.

I lived in Carmel for three years. Hamilton County, and Carmel especially, is a very nice place to live. With that said, a good bit of the core city (city-county is merged in Indianapolis/Marion County) has a lot of urban blight and crime compared to what you'd find in Raleigh. Raleigh proper looks newer and cleaner.

Indy doesn't have anything like the RTP, but still has a good tech scene and a well diversified, healthy economy. Indy also has among the cheapest housing for a major metro in the country, as well as low-ish property taxes, groceries are extremely reasonable, low auto insurance rates, etc.

For a little context, I moved back to my hometown in east Tennessee last year from Indy. My auto insurance went from about $300/six months in Indy to $550/six months here. Power is about the same per kWh. Most grocery items are at least 25% more here than in Indy - some items, like milk, are more than twice as high.

NC has an income tax a little more than 2% higher than Indiana, but Indiana has a county income tax as well - it'll be close to a wash.

I'd wager Raleigh is going to be a bit more expensive. Are the salaries similar?

The places are similar enough that I'd rather live in Raleigh, largely for the better winters and closer beach access.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As a former Indy resident, there are some really nice parks (Central Park in Carmel, which is in Hamilton County), but the area is not "wooded" in the sense that most of NC is.

I lived in Carmel for three years. Hamilton County, and Carmel especially, is a very nice place to live. With that said, a good bit of the core city (city-county is merged in Indianapolis/Marion County) has a lot of urban blight and crime compared to what you'd find in Raleigh. Raleigh proper looks newer and cleaner.

Indy doesn't have anything like the RTP, but still has a good tech scene and a well diversified, healthy economy. Indy also has among the cheapest housing for a major metro in the country, as well as low-ish property taxes, groceries are extremely reasonable, low auto insurance rates, etc.

For a little context, I moved back to my hometown in east Tennessee last year from Indy. My auto insurance went from about $300/six months in Indy to $550/six months here. Power is about the same per kWh. Most grocery items are at least 25% more here than in Indy - some items, like milk, are more than twice as high.

NC has an income tax a little more than 2% higher than Indiana, but Indiana has a county income tax as well - it'll be close to a wash.

I'd wager Raleigh is going to be a bit more expensive. Are the salaries similar?

The places are similar enough that I'd rather live in Raleigh, largely for the better winters and closer beach access.
The salaries remain the same, however, it would probably be a bigger positive career-wise to go to Indy as his work group collaborates much more closely with them than the RTP ofc. His dept does not have a presence at the RTP ofc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City