Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,916,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
City, I am a city guy, me and my wife just love the city, all the activities, the festivities, the actions... We are not the suburb type
see, there's a disconnect imo. You want the city life but then you want good schools. I wanna say DC or Philly or Atlanta but the public school system isn't good. Also when it comes to the school system- you have to look at it through a different pair of lenses. If you go by ranking- the top 2 are Mass and New Jersey. But remember, you can't just go by standardized test scores. Sometimes word of mouth is the best way to go. ARe you comfortable with your child being the only black person in the class? Because majority of the great schools are probably gonna be 90 percent white. Do you mind paying for private school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 03:05 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
see, there's a disconnect imo. You want the city life but then you want good schools. I wanna say DC or Philly or Atlanta but the public school system isn't good. Also when it comes to the school system- you have to look at it through a different pair of lenses. If you go by ranking- the top 2 are Mass and New Jersey. But remember, you can't just go by standardized test scores. Sometimes word of mouth is the best way to go. ARe you comfortable with your child being the only black person in the class? Because majority of the great schools are probably gonna be 90 percent white. Do you mind paying for private school?
Then private school it is, and I do not mind my son being in a 90% white school.... I grew up in France where I pretty much always was the only black kid in class and when sometimes there was another black kid, my classmate would always ask us if we were brothers/sisters...
I do not care who is in that school as long as my kids receive a good education and I do not want a public school, I want a private, me and my wife want a private school...
My wife's cousins lives in Fort Lauderdale and she send her kids to private school, she says the public school in Florida are crap, violent... When you want the best for your children, you do not look into the skin of the kids in schools but to the school reputation, score, ranking... that is why despite finding Boston ugly as hell we still consider it.. SCHOOLS

Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Choice made... It will be NYC and later after my degree, L.A

Old 08-13-2017, 03:16 PM

8,068 posts, read 8,361,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Well, metro Boston is good since I was in the southern suburbs. Seattle is too rainy for me, although way better than the canadian 11 months of winter but still.
I though about providence but it would be just for a few years.

But quite frankly, apart of western DC suburbs, Boston suburbs and western L.A county (Santa Monica, Venice, Malibu...), the other suburbs are not appealing to me, I am a very urban person, I love cities, love being in the center of action, not having to drive to go places, being able to walk pretty much anywhere I want.
I hate to break it to you, but Boston, NYC, Washington D.C., and Portland all average considerably more rain per year than Seattle. Seattle is in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains - much of its rain is in the form of drizzle, rather downpour. That it is less wet than many other places doesn't mean it isn't cloudy, however.

Old 08-17-2017, 01:18 AM

665 posts, read 613,052 times
If I had the $ here's my ranking based on the cities I've an opportunity to visit.

1) San Francisco/Oakland
2) Philly
3) Baltimore

Places I haven't gone to but may or probably would like

1) Sacramento
2) Albuquerque
3) Seattle
4) Houston
5) Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City