Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these 30 places would you most want to live in?
Scottsdale, Arizona 3 5.36%
Salt Lake City, Utah 2 3.57%
Kansas City, Missouri 3 5.36%
Tucson, Arizona 0 0%
Jacksonville, Florida 1 1.79%
Denton, Texas 2 3.57%
Fort Worth, Texas 2 3.57%
Fort Collins, Colorado 0 0%
Colorado Springs, Colorado 1 1.79%
Louisville, Kentucky 5 8.93%
Spokane, Washington 1 1.79%
Reno, Nevada 1 1.79%
Buffalo, New York 2 3.57%
Des Moines, Iowa 0 0%
Bangor, Maine 1 1.79%
Newburyport, Massachusetts 0 0%
Eugene, Oregon 1 1.79%
Seaside, Oregon 1 1.79%
Cannon Beach, Oregon 4 7.14%
Wilmington, North Carolina 0 0%
Sacramento, California 4 7.14%
Anchorage, Alaska 0 0%
Sitka, Alaska 1 1.79%
Boise, Idaho 1 1.79%
Bellingham, Washington 0 0%
Santa Fe, New Mexico 0 0%
Albuquerque, New Mexico 2 3.57%
Charlotte, North Carolina 7 12.50%
Birmingham, Alabama 1 1.79%
Carlsbad / Oceanside , California 6 10.71%
Ventura, California 4 7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM

75 posts, read 89,726 times

Advertisements

Which of these 30 cities would you most want to live in? I have included some criteria listed below the list of cities.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
Kansas City, Missouri
Tucson, Arizona
Jacksonville, Florida
Denton, Texas
Fort Worth, Texas
Fort Collins, Colorado
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Louisville, Kentucky
Spokane, Washington
Reno, Nevada
Buffalo, New York
Des Moines, Iowa
Bangor, Maine
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Eugene, Oregon
Seaside, Oregon
Cannon Beach, Oregon
Wilmington, North Carolina
Sacramento, California
Anchorage, Alaska
Sitka, Alaska
Boise, Idaho
Bellingham, Washington
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Charlotte, North Carolina
Birmingham, Alabama
Carlsbad / Oceanside, California

Some criteria to help you choose between all of these places is..........

Which has year-round weather that you prefer?
Which has a good cost of living?
Which has less traffic?
Which is less crowded?
Which has friendlier people?
Which is not super liberal?

Last edited by IcomeInPeaceDolphLundgren; 07-17-2017 at 05:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:24 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,578 times
With 30 to chose from I thought I'd be able to find one. I have absolutely no desire to ever live in any of those places. I could probably do Jacksonville, FL or Wilmington, NC if I had to. Interesting poll though.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:43 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,861,647 times
For weather: Carlsbad/Oceanside, California or Scottsdale, Arizona: Either of those two would have decent weather for my particular preference. I don't mind hot weather like in Scottsdale much of the year but I don't mind 65-75 degree year-round high temperatures and a mix of sun and marine layer clouds like in Carlsbad or Oceanside either.

Cost of living: I am a renter so Reno and Tucson have the lowest cost of living. Reno has relatively affordable rents but very expensive prices for houses.

Friendliness: I think out of the cities on the list that Reno had very friendly people.

I think out of the cities on that list that my three top choices would be...

#1. Oceanside/Carlsbad. Very scenic area, lots of outdoors stuff to do, very unique, excellent weather, good infrastructure and very clean.

#2. Scottsdale: I prefer hot weather compared to cold weather, very clean with excellent infrastructure, interesting well-balanced area.

#3. Salt Lake City: Excellent infrastructure, extremely well-set up city, very clean and scenic area. The only thing I don't like is the winter weather, but they have decent spring and fall weather plus an excellent summer with cooler temperatures in the mountain areas.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:09 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
The areas in Southern California have the best weather by far, but COL anywhere in CA at this point negates it, including Sacto. No desire to live in AZ, TX or FL either. The Great Plains and Upper New England would be too boring. I chose Louisville because it's one of the biggest cities listed, has a great amount of amenities, a great food scene, and a nice mix of Southern & Midwestern charm. Main downside is it's sprawl outside the core, and the fact I don't care about bourbon or horses lol

Old 07-18-2017, 05:02 AM

542 posts, read 1,107,109 times
I picked Charlotte. Already the driving force in the Carolinas, and becoming a major city right before our eyes. I know some people will pick it apart, because they hate the south, but it is becoming quite urban. With that being said, I like living were I live.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:49 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,484 times
Which has year-round weather that you prefer? Carlsbad / Oceanside
Which has a good cost of living? Reno or Albuquerque
Which has less traffic? Reno
Which is less crowded? Reno
Which has friendlier people? Reno or Albuquerque
Which is not super liberal? Colorado Springs

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
None really sparked my interest, but I picked Louisville. Similar weather to where I live now, and closer to home!

Old 07-19-2017, 08:53 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Charlotte, my old stomping grounds.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,800,719 times
My picks would be Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Sacramento, Ventura, and maybe Tucson. Different microclimatic conditions all, but climates that I could, more or less, generally adjust to nicely. Tucson is the only city of these four I haven't been to, but I've had generally positive experiences with the people in the other four cities. I also like them because, with the exception of far-left Santa Fe, they all lean left, but still have thriving communities of conservatives, libertarians, and freethinkers of all kinds.

Charlotte and Wilmington seem nice, but I don't know whether I could re-acclimate to Southern summers. Colorado Springs and Fort Collins also seem nice, but I'm not sure I could handle its winters.

The Pacific Northwest is generally too gloomy climatically and too sullen culturally for my tastes, but, man, I admit that it's sure beautiful. I've lived in Louisville, KY before; I'm not interested in living there again, as I didn't like the bazaar and depressing vibe and the extreme cliquishness of the local population. I've also lived near Carlsbad/Oceanside; while similar climatically with Ventura, I generally didn't like the local culture and people of North County San Diego, so I'm also not interested in living there again (plus, L.A. just up the road has the same cost of living, hence "more bang for the buck").

Old 07-19-2017, 10:12 PM

201 posts, read 219,833 times
I like Kansas City best even if it's maybe too liberal. The weather is far from perfect, their winters are awful, but they do get great fall and summer seasons. It is a beautiful, thriving city with plenty to do, and I have family in the area. Also, its cost of living is tough to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City