Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City with best accent
Chicago 6 6.32%
NYC 13 13.68%
Baltimore 1 1.05%
Pittsburgh 4 4.21%
New Orleans 28 29.47%
Philadelphia 7 7.37%
Boston 13 13.68%
Minneapolis 12 12.63%
Other 11 11.58%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
It's weird to explain perfectly.

All I know is, it sounds like they drag out their vowels. To sounds like Tew, Shoe sounds like Shew, and Do sounds like Dew.
Those of us who grew up in the DMV can remember the ads for Mr. Ray's hairweave. "For the lowest price in tay-own..." Or a typical Bawlmerese phrase, "I'm goin' to the Droodle Park zoo to see the larns and taggers'. (I'm going to the the Druid Hill Park zoo to see the lions and tigers". Bawlmerese can put a hurtin' on your ear drums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 04:30 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Those of us who grew up in the DMV can remember the ads for Mr. Ray's hairweave. "For the lowest price in tay-own..." Or a typical Bawlmerese phrase, "I'm goin' to the Droodle Park zoo to see the larns and taggers'. (I'm going to the the Druid Hill Park zoo to see the lions and tigers". Bawlmerese can put a hurtin' on your ear drums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9KymP1Mn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuDAhbpyXm8

Old 07-18-2017, 05:20 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Quote:
Baltimore is not part of the DMV, but yes, Traci has a strong Baltimore accent. She actually sounds a lot like Monique.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is not part of the DMV, but yes, Traci has a strong Baltimore accent. She actually sounds a lot like Monique.
I grew up in Alexandria. (That's in Virginia.) I saw the Mr. Ray ads on the local TV stations.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I grew up in Alexandria. (That's in Virginia.) I saw the Mr. Ray ads on the local TV stations.
My apologies.

I see why I don't remember that commercial, I was an infant with it aired.

I didn't know that weave was such a big deal back then.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 07-18-2017 at 06:58 PM..

Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
My apologize.

I see why I don't remember that commercial, I was an infant with it aired.

I didn't know that weave was such a big deal back then.
Baltimore film maker John Waters liked Mr. Ray's Bawlmer accent so much he tried to get him to narrate the movie Pink Flamingos but Mr. Ray turned him down. When I was growing up my friends and I enjoyed doing imitations of Mr. Ray.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Baltimore film maker John Waters liked Mr. Ray's Bawlmer accent so much he tried to get him to narrate the movie Pink Flamingos but Mr. Ray turned him down. When I was growing up my friends and I enjoyed doing imitations of Mr. Ray.
Fortunately, the Baltimore accent hasn't died out. Black and White Baltimoreans have their own distinct version of the Baltimore accent.

Listening to someone who isn't from here try to reproduce the Baltimore accent is always cringe-worthy.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:03 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Fortunately, the Baltimore accent hasn't died out. Black and White Baltimoreans have their own distinct version of the Baltimore accent.

Listening to someone who isn't from here try to reproduce the Baltimore accent is always cringe-worthy.
There are so many layers to it. The same goes for New Orleans. Those are very hard to imitate.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:56 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I am not a big fan of the Minnesota accent my gf has it, I do like Southern accents as long as they are not that hard to understand. I voted New Orleans accent. I like NY accents but on girls it sounds too manly usually for me.
Hahaha....hope she doesn't read your posts!

I'm not a fan of it either, though I've heard it in more palatable ways than others. My wife was born in Wisconsin but spent half her life in Ohio, so she has a northern accent but it's faint. When she drinks though, it defaults to WI.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:14 AM

405 posts, read 475,874 times
Grew up in Staten Island so growing up around/having a thick New York accent...definitely New York.

Just walking into a bagel store or a deli and hearing all the accents you share with your fellow NY'ers is just so entertaining for some reason. Never gets old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City