Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 08:19 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post
I see your point, but I'd group cities more by commonality than by geography. For example, someone moving from Chicago is going to find Philly or Boston far more familiar than Columbus. In fact I cannot think of a pair of large cities more different than Chicago and Columbus. And that is not meant as a slight on either place. Columbus is more like a larger Ann Arbor or Madison than a smaller Chicago. St Lois feels a bit like Chicago- but without the energy from the throngs of people.

I'd be interested to hear what big-little city pairs people could imagine would work. Maybe I'll start a new thread?

LA - Austin (weather, hip vibe, sprawl of suburbs?)
Chicago - Philly (neighborhoods, dense urban core, transit, pace) Philly big in its own right, but not Chicago big)
SF - Seattle (sort of the same as Chicago-Philly)
Hou - Atl
Columbus - Madison - Ann Arbor

Interestingly, some cities are fairly unique, and I can't think of a good fit for a mini version. Like what is a smaller version of DC?
I could see - not necessarily smaller but a decent next step

LA > Austin/SD/Atlanta/Honolulu
Chicago > Milwaukee/Minneapolis
SF > Seattle/Portland/Sacramento
Houston > San Antonio/Atlanta
Atlanta > Houston/Dallas/Austin (?)
NYC > Philly/Boston/DC/Miami/SF/Chicago
Miami > Tampa/SD (?)
DC > Philly/Richmond/Boston/Pittsburgh
Philly > DC/Bmore/Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:17 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Atlanta is a Tier 1 city.

Atlanta is not a First Tier City, big Sprawly Metro,,, Yes! 1st Tier City, no. I will say the Metro has a lot of amenities the First Tiers have, you won't lack much in that department, just more or less the flavor of it all. Still growing yes and good if you want to buy a Home, property is pretty cheap for what you get for a Home, any thing else I will keep my opinions to my self because of such Sensitive Natures,, lol.. It's all about your flavor and what you perceive in your mind really when it comes to Atlanta, but I know better. I my self will say coming from New York, Chicago, LA, etc. there are much better options out there. Even being black I would not choose Atlanta again. I think that's one thing that annoys me about this place, they sell up this blackness thing so much.. If your black go to Atlanta,, please Stop!!! If Atlanta is your Flavor and your vibe, and some where you really like then Move to Atlanta.. Always do your research on the City, State, Laws, background, history good and bad, as well as where the city is headed in the Future before you move there.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,178 times
I moved from Boston to Richmond, and I don't miss Boston at all. Places like Richmond, Portland, Austin etc. have so much going on the fact they are smaller really isn't an issue. Activity is more important than size.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Atlanta is not a First Tier City, big Sprawly Metro,,, Yes! 1st Tier City, no. I will say the Metro has a lot of amenities the First Tiers have, you won't lack much in that department, just more or less the flavor of it all. Still growing yes and good if you want to buy a Home, property is pretty cheap for what you get for a Home, any thing else I will keep my opinions to my self because of such Sensitive Natures,, lol.. It's all about your flavor and what you perceive in your mind really when it comes to Atlanta, but I know better. I my self will say coming from New York, Chicago, LA, etc. there are much better options out there. Even being black I would not choose Atlanta again. I think that's one thing that annoys me about this place, they sell up this blackness thing so much.. If your black go to Atlanta,, please Stop!!! If Atlanta is your Flavor and your vibe, and some where you really like then Move to Atlanta.. Always do your research on the City, State, Laws, background, history good and bad, as well as where the city is headed in the Future before you move there.
As a former resident of Atlanta who enjoyed my time living there, this is spot-on. It's no country backwater, and it's a top-10 or top 15 metro area, but it isn't Tier 1. After living in Tier 1 cities such as Los Angeles and currently DC, I can definitely say that there is a difference between what Atlanta has to offer vs a true Tier 1 city.

As for the black culture there, I'll reiterate that even though the black community there is quite diverse (the black professional crowd, the buppie crowd, the working class, the hood crowd, the black hipsters, black gay community, the Afrocentric community are all pretty well represented there), it's not the be all and end all for all black people in America. It's still in the southern US, and everyone does not like southern culture, including a lot of black people. It took me leaving the Southeast after many years to realize it wasn't for me. YMMV/to each their own.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
As a former resident of Atlanta who enjoyed my time living there, this is spot-on. It's no country backwater, and it's a top-10 or top 15 metro area, but it isn't Tier 1. After living in Tier 1 cities such as Los Angeles and currently DC, I can definitely say that there is a difference between what Atlanta has to offer vs a true Tier 1 city.

As for the black culture there, I'll reiterate that even though the black community there is quite diverse (the black professional crowd, the buppie crowd, the working class, the hood crowd, the black hipsters, black gay community, the Afrocentric community are all pretty well represented there), it's not the be all and end all for all black people in America. It's still in the southern US, and everyone does not like southern culture, including a lot of black people. It took me leaving the Southeast after many years to realize it wasn't for me. YMMV/to each their own.

You couldn't have said it better, still the Deep South no matter how much people like to put a spin on it Can't say what I want to say because some things are better left unsaid.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:59 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,395,075 times
Quote:
You couldn't have said it better, still the Deep South no matter how much people like to put a spin on it Can't say what I want to say because some things are better left unsaid.
read

Old 07-25-2017, 03:34 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,131 times
Quote:
This is accurate...especially the bolded portion. Your opinion of Atlanta hinges upon where you're from and your own personal style or preference. I moved here from L.A and before that, New Orleans...Atlanta compares well to both of them for me as it combines several attributes that I like from both cities without as much smog and congestion from L.A. and without the crime, bad roads, and low wages from New Orleans.

When people stop desperately trying to make Atlanta the "NY of the South" or the "Black Mecca" or "Black Hollywood", you can enjoy Atlanta for what it is on its own.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
This is accurate...especially the bolded portion. Your opinion of Atlanta hinges upon where you're from and your own personal style or preference. I moved here from L.A and before that, New Orleans...Atlanta compares well to both of them for me as it combines several attributes that I like from both cities without as much smog and congestion from L.A. and without the crime, bad roads, and low wages from New Orleans.

When people stop desperately trying to make Atlanta the "NY of the South" or the "Black Mecca" or "Black Hollywood", you can enjoy Atlanta for what it is on its own.
Thanks for being objective, it's rare when it comes to folks who live in Atlanta. Usually it's paradise for everyone and it's impossible for someone to dislike it.

It provides amenities that can be found in many cities but nothing unique.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Here we go again, yet you claim you have no anti-Atlanta agenda?

I think your attitude and your current home of D.C. both suck. See how this works?

You have absolutely zero credibility when it comes to anything related to Atlanta, as your posting history clearly documents. Once someone like you results to lies and total fabrication, you deserve to be exposed and called out every single time you trash the place - and you will continue to be.
LOL, what does it say when Atlanta can't even win a poll amongst cities below its own tier. You should stop concentrating on me because I'm not alone in the thought about Atlanta, clearly

Old 07-25-2017, 06:41 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,309 times
I have found that the way we grade cities (tiers) to be very misleading. We debate city vs city but end up including MSA and CSA. We debate MSA vs MSA and end up including the city proper. You have some areas like DC which has an amazing city but if you drive an hour south to Fredericksburg you just have a charming small town and traffic. There needs to be another method to grade the progress of our cities or we will end up with hundreds of pages of opinion based information on city data and topics veering off into left center field. My suggestion is use urban populations and the GDP of the urban area only as the primary basis for grading since it takes from the city but does not include counties nearly 100 miles away from the city center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City