Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:12 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
I see Atlanta is 2nd.
I don't understand why anyone would vote for Atlanta over San Diego.

Atlanta has all negatives of San Diego; high cost-of-living, insane traffic and high crime.

While Atlanta has none of the pluses that San Diego offers; low crime, perfect weather, beaches, mountains, sheer beauty.

That's not to say ATL is a bad or ugly place - but it doesn't even come close to San Diego by comparison. So why would anyone choose Atlanta over San Diego?
Diversity, Atlanta is a bigger city, Atlanta may not be near a beach but there is still a lot to do and there is always some type of event or festival going on, Nightlife, the world's busiest airport with nonstop flights to just about everywhere, lower cost-of-living than San Diego, more housing/apartments/condo/town home for the price, better higher education facilities, the food scene, the gay scene ans on and on and on.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugeniomerill View Post
I see Atlanta is 2nd.
I don't understand why anyone would vote for Atlanta over San Diego.

Atlanta has all negatives of San Diego; high cost-of-living, insane traffic and high crime.

While Atlanta has none of the pluses that San Diego offers; low crime, perfect weather, beaches, mountains, sheer beauty.

That's not to say ATL is a bad or ugly place - but it doesn't even come close to San Diego by comparison. So why would anyone choose Atlanta over San Diego?
COL is increasing in Atlanta as in other places, but to say it has a high cost of living similar to San Diego is just not accurate.

I'd choose Atlanta over San Diego easily--more affordable, much more robust Black culture, closer to friends/family, etc.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:24 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times
Only NYC is a tier 1 city. And none of those in the list qualifies tier 2 (Chicago, LA, Boston etc).

Old 07-28-2017, 09:05 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Because the scope of this discussion is centered on urban life and amenities, I would rank tiers like this:

Tier 1: Limitless urban lifestyle and amenities
NYC (urban & amenities galore!)

Tier 2: Large urban life with enough amenities and urban character to keep an urban-lover happy for decades
LA (less urban, but tons of amenities)
Chicago (more urban with lots of amenities)
SF (more urban with lots of amenities)
Boston (more urban with lots of amenities)
Philly (more urban with lots of amenities)
DC (more urban, but with lots of amenities)

Tier 3: Either a smaller city with enough urban character to satisfy, or a big enough city/metro to offer a lot of amenities
Seattle (slightly less urban with slightly less amenities)
Miami (slightly less urban with slightly less amenities)
Houston (not urban, but with lots of amenities)
Dallas (not very urban, but with lots of amenities)
Atlanta (not urban, but with lots of amenities)
Phoenix (not urban, but with lots of amenities)
etc.

Again, this is based on the OP. This is not about GDP or other intangibles. My line of thought balancing between an urban lifestyle and how many amenities the metro offers overall.

For example, I had a friend who had lived in NYC, Chicago, New Orleans and then Atlanta. He was an urban lover, similar to how the OP framed up his/her criteria. He loved NYC and Chicago. He initially loved NO, but it was too small and while there was a good amount of urban character, he got bored with it eventually. He didn't care for Atlanta as much and moved back to Chicago quickly. It wasn't that Atlanta wasn't a good city or didn't have pockets of good urbanity, it was that he wanted more of a big city urban experience.

IMPORTANT: This is all subjective, including my list above.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:22 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
For what it's worth, Atlanta makes an appearance on the Global Cities Index that's conducted every year and is among just eight American cities. https://www.atkearney.com/research-s...novation/10192

Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Because the scope of this discussion is centered on urban life and amenities, I would rank tiers like this:

Tier 2: Large urban life with enough amenities and urban character to keep an urban-lover happy for decades

Tier 3: Either a smaller city with enough urban character to satisfy, or a big enough city/metro to offer a lot of amenities
etc.

Again, this is based on the OP. This is not about GDP or other intangibles. My line of thought balancing between an urban lifestyle and how many amenities the metro offers overall.

For example, I had a friend who had lived in NYC, Chicago, New Orleans and then Atlanta. He was an urban lover, similar to how the OP framed up his/her criteria. He loved NYC and Chicago. He initially loved NO, but it was too small and while there was a good amount of urban character, he got bored with it eventually. He didn't care for Atlanta as much and moved back to Chicago quickly. It wasn't that Atlanta wasn't a good city or didn't have pockets of good urbanity, it was that he wanted more of a big city urban experience.

That's a very reasonable tiering.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 AM

360 posts, read 372,104 times
Atlanta, GA

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:

etc.

Makes sense. I can relate to your friends experience.

Old 07-28-2017, 09:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

etc.

All subjective but very accurate.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:21 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
That's a good list.

I'd add a Tier 3b with Minneapolis, Denver, San Diego, Cleveland, and Phoenix (small disagreement there). Detroit would belong in Tier 3a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City