Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 01:48 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,419,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You aren't a typical millennial though, and hardly speak for your entire generation. I can't think of any that have Birmingham on an imaginary pedestal like you do, actually.
That's my point, you guys have no ideal image of what a typical millennial is, especially those from NYC. We're all different, some of us didn't live like your typical image of a native NY'er, a good percentage of us lived in low-income areas. I didn't move to duplicate life in NY, I moved because I wanted something different...

I didn't move to Birmingham after NYC, I moved to Miami with family.

You and the other Atlanta boosters have such an skewed and outdated view on cities outside of Atlanta, it's ridiculous. Like the other poster said, Atlanta is a cool city, but it's not everyone's cup of tea, and nor is it a Tier 1 city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 02:39 PM

8,864 posts, read 6,869,333 times
The tiers are very different depending what you're counting. "Our metro contains every amenity" isn't the same as having intense urbanity, or whatever else someone includes in their tiers.

As for the tiers not being disputable, that's absurd. People can think whatever they want. And disagreeing doesn't mean they've never visited. The entitlement around here is also absurd.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
If you choose to interject on every one of my comments, that's your prerogative I clearly don't mind at all.

I like how I've asked you twice now to quote me on a fake fact about Atlanta on this thread that's I've presented but you can't... But you keep saying that I'm saying fake facts about Atlanta. I'd assume this would be an easy task for you.
I suspect this is a lie:

Quote:
Don't go to to Atlanta. I did the move from NYC to Atlanta... I had two other friends also do the move, granted none of us had kids or families and we all left within a year or two because it sucked.
More spewing:

Quote:
Thanks for being objective, it's rare when it comes to folks who live in Atlanta. Usually it's paradise for everyone and it's impossible for someone to dislike it.
And yet more:

Quote:
LOL, what does it say when Atlanta can't even win a poll amongst cities below its own tier
A typical passive/aggressive backhanded insult in your trademark style:

Quote:
Atlanta not being an easy sell isn't new, I never understandwhy people act surprised. Do you ever think perhaps the city has a marketing problem or it's just not as popular besides cost of living?
More spewing:

Quote:
Atlanta IMO doesn't have that strong of a draw/"cool" factor reminiscent of cities like SD which is why it's losing this poll even though it's double it's size.
Typical insult when Atlantans dare to defend the place after your above comments:

Quote:
Thanks for proving my opinion. Atlanta boosters are the craziest.
Yes, you have an agenda, have had for years and everyone knows it. You provide proof of it almost daily. Why you are so hellbent on publicly embarrassing yourself repeatedly is the real mystery here.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:49 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
You and the other Atlanta boosters have such an skewed and outdated view on cities outside of Atlanta, it's ridiculous.
The average adult Atlantan is probably WAY more well traveled than you can even dream of, and is very aware of cities outside of Atlanta. There are millions of us that travel for a living every week, you're a young kid that goes to College in Birmingham, AL.

Case closed.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:57 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I suspect this is a lie:

More spewing:

And yet more:

A typical passive/aggressive backhanded insult in your trademark style:

More spewing:

Typical insult when Atlantans dare to defend the place after your above comments:

Yes, you have an agenda, have had for years and everyone knows it. You provide proof of it almost daily. Why you are so hellbent on publicly embarrassing yourself repeatedly is the real mystery here.
Got it.. Understood now.. You said I presented false facts about Atlanta on here which I didn't as you've shown above. Basically you don't like my opinion and personal experience with Atlanta because it's impossible for someone to dislike Atlanta? I get it and that's ok man thanks for sharing.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:12 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
So if someone from Chicago, NYC, LA, Washington, SF, etc. had to move (or was looking to move) to a 2nd or 3rd tier city, where might they find the most satisfaction? Let's say they wanted a full city experience that wouldn't be so underwhelming compared to their home Tier 1 city. Some good urbanity, sports, amenities, etc.

Some are left off of here on purpose but feel free to comment if you have one in mind that isn't listed, and isn't an obvious one, like Denver, Dallas, Seattle (I consider those pretty much Tier 1)
How can you consider Denver and Seattle tier 1 but not Atlanta? Atlanta trumps both of those cities on a national level and no one would place Denver a tier over Atlanta and not many would do it for Seattle.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Atlanta is losing in this poll to a very desirable West Coast city, San Diego. But let's not forget that even a vaunted city like Chicago doesn't always fare well in these coastal match-ups. Chicago got clobbered by Seattle in this recent poll Which of these 6 cities would you most want to live in?

Old 07-29-2017, 04:47 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It really depends on how small a person is willing to go and what amenities they are willing to give up. Or what one is wanting to add to their city.

After living in Chicago, I am in love with city living. I moved to St Louis a few years ago and love it. I would admit over a short period of time I've learned that St. Louis is as small as I want to go.

With that being written, I love the small big city living. No traffic, parking issues and a fair cost of living to income ratio. At the same time I didn't give up the city totally.
I believe that the St. Louis area could be loosely described as a mid sized metropolitan area. I think you can get a fair amount of amenities in this general size range.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:53 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,235,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I believe that the St. Louis area could be loosely described as a mid sized metropolitan area. I think you can get a fair amount of amenities in this general size range.
I agree with both points.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I agree with both points.
Thank you.

BTW, I have never visited Atlanta, but I believe that the area is large enough to offer a lot in terms of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City