Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
That's great.. I spoke from my personal experience.... There's really nothing that Atlanta has the top tier cities don't already provide. My suggestion is to pick one that also offers something new and different.
What do they offer that is different than Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 05:56 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It isn't, but it's a tier ahead of the cities in this poll.
How isn't it so? For its size, it may literally be the sprawliest metro on Earth, but that still shouldn't take away from the fact that over 5.5 million people live there, nor the fact that it has the 10th largest economy in the country and is home to several very big name companies (Delta, CNN, Coca Cola, etc.). You may not personally like it (I have mixed feelings), but Atlanta is clearly a huge step up from the other cities listed and a Tier 1 city--even if it's towards the bottom. Unless you think there is a Tier 1a and Tier 1b ranking.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
What do they offer that is different than Atlanta?
First, not alot of the top tier cities provide a relaxed beach lifestyle like SD..

Last edited by Ebck120; 07-23-2017 at 06:15 PM..

Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 PM

1,732 posts, read 1,892,864 times
Either Nashville

Or San Diego, less than 2 hours from a tier 1 city, can go to LA for the weekend to get your big city fix

Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
"One man's trash is another man's treasure!" Just because you did not like Atlanta does not mean that someone else would not. I mean, there are damn near 6 million people here, so obviously, Atlanta is doing something right and the city is attracting new faces daily.

OP, despite whta Ebck120 stated, you should give Atlanta a try. It will be the easiest to settle down in considering that there are so many northerners and people from all over the world in the Atlanta metro and the area is still relatively inexpensive but is still growing and building new attractions. The job market is on fire and there is a reason why so many companies are either relocating their Headquarters to Atlanta or putting in Satellite offices in the area.

At least visit the area and get a feel for it to see if this is somewhere you will want to be.
True but alot are moving due to cost of living or because of job availability because it still is a large region and you need to setup shop to take advantage of the populous. That doesn't say much for your overall happiness regarding one's expectations coming from a higher tier city. It's definitely not a destination beyond those realm unless you're coming from another similar caliber city or smaller. Let's be objective here.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:55 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
It really depends on how small a person is willing to go and what amenities they are willing to give up. Or what one is wanting to add to their city.

After living in Chicago, I am in love with city living. I moved to St Louis a few years ago and love it. I would admit over a short period of time I've learned that St. Louis is as small as I want to go. I will say the conservative state government is beyond irritating along with lazy and stupid polititians on a local level. And yes the politics of an area does impact the way the city functions.

With that being written, I love the small big city living. No traffic, parking issues and a fair cost of living to income ratio. At the same time I didn't give up the city totally. St. Louis has a good selection of neighborhoods that are eclectic and reasonably urban. Some can run with 3rd tier neighborhoods in Chicago like Hyde Park but no Gold Coast, Lincoln Park or lakeview. The city is just too small.

I'm sure the same thing can be written about Cleveland and Baltimore size as well.

One would have to sit down and weigh the pros and cons of each place and decide what's conducive to their needs.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:01 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Atlanta is a Tier 1 city.
Hahahahahahaha.....no it isn't...

It just depends on what flavor someone is looking for...

Old 07-23-2017, 07:02 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
It really depends on how small a person is willing to go and what amenities they are willing to give up. Or what one is wanting to add to their city.

After living in Chicago, I am in love with city living. I moved to St Louis a few years ago and love it. I would admit over a short period of time I've learned that St. Louis is as small as I want to go. I will say the conservative state government is beyond irritating along with lazy and stupid polititians on a local level. And yes the politics of an area does impact the way the city functions.

With that being written, I love the small big city living. No traffic, parking issues and a fair cost of living to income ratio. At the same time I didn't give up the city totally. St. Louis has a good selection of neighborhoods that are eclectic and reasonably urban. Some can run with 3rd tier neighborhoods in Chicago like Hyde Park but no Gold Coast, Lincoln Park or lakeview. The city is just too small.

I'm sure the same thing can be written about Cleveland and Baltimore size as well.

One would have to sit down and weigh the pros and cons of each place and decide what's conducive to their needs.
I don't think it's fair to call Hyde Park third tier. Its offerings place it firmly in the second tier.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:03 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
First, not alot of the top tier cities provide a relaxed beach lifestyle like SD..
SD is relaxing, but what else?

Old 07-23-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
SD is relaxing, but what else?
Is the beach lifestyle not something alot if tier 1 cities don't provide? Wasn't that your question? Also skiing within a few hours along with a foreign tropical country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City