Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most satisfying new city if moving from a Tier 1 metro.
San Diego 50 26.18%
Jacksonville 6 3.14%
Tampa 7 3.66%
Nashville 19 9.95%
Kansas City 14 7.33%
Charlotte 11 5.76%
Austin 11 5.76%
Atlanta 52 27.23%
Indianapolis 7 3.66%
St. Louis 14 7.33%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:34 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It still amazes me that someone can use an area being "White" as a negative. Imagine if someone said the same thing about Atlanta in a negative way because it's "Black". Smh..racists comments are a two way street.
Calling somewhere White and/or Military is now considered a negative for liberals. Also calling SD White is laughable, white non-hispanics only make up like 40% of the population. It has some of the largest Asian, Pacific Islander and Hispanic populations in the US. I guess "white" is just a term for a city without a large black population now? I wonder if the same logic will be used for San Fran/Silicon Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,893,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
It's a great city; clean, low crime. It's conservative. Go figure.
While it's more conservative than L.A or San Francisco, which are both noted liberal bastions, it's nothing like Orange County or inland California. I don't want to out anybody needlessly but I'm pretty sure our previous fire chief was gay, our police chief is gay, our district attorney (just termed out) is gay, my city council member is gay- in fact, you can't be straight and be elected city council in our district lol. My former (gay) council member is the most powerful person in the state senate. Suffice to say the city is definitively liberal, and there are more registered democratics than republicans in the county, but enough conservative districts to produce Darrel Issa and Duncan Hunter.

It's a great city to live in but I wouldn't necessarily call it a "great" city. It is approachable and accessible, providing a compact and vibrant downtown and entertainment district- though most of us locals perfer the equally vibrant surrounding core neighborhoods or beach enclaves. It's got a solid arts, theatre and restaurant scene, ComicCon is crazy fun and the city feels like New Orleans for a few days- but most of the other cities on the list each offer their own great slices. Sports- well, we lost the Chargers and the Padres disappoint but Petco Park is among the best in the country, The Gulls are playing some great hockey, SDSU basketball, big soccer scene across the border making its presence here as well- it's there but not the foundation of our city.

I will say that we are die hard urbanists, world traveled and are absolutely at ease and in the groove in NYC, LA, London etc.., and we find our slice of urbanity here. As others have noted the obvious, when it is not happening enough here L.A. is a quick train ride up the way (went there last weekend for a multi-museum, bar crawl, theater get away- never got in a car once btw)

The canyons, beach, mountains and deserts provide a wonderful balance to the small yet vibrant city vibe here, and if you've got a sense of adventure there is plenty going on.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Atlanta is certainly a tier one city in regards to this thread. Either that, or some tier 1 cities aren't really tier 1 cities.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:50 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,639,000 times
It depends where you are moving from. SD or Houston are good options for someone leaving LA. Philly or Providence for someone leaving NYC. Minneapolis or Columbus for someone leaving Chicago. etc

Old 07-25-2017, 12:19 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Don't go to to Atlanta. I did the move from NYC to Atlanta... I had two other friends also do the move, granted none of us had kids or families and we all left within a year or two because it sucked.
Here we go again, yet you claim you have no anti-Atlanta agenda?

I think your attitude and your current home of D.C. both suck. See how this works?

You have absolutely zero credibility when it comes to anything related to Atlanta, as your posting history clearly documents. Once someone like you results to lies and total fabrication, you deserve to be exposed and called out every single time you trash the place - and you will continue to be.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:43 AM

157 posts, read 186,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends where you are moving from. SD or Houston are good options for someone leaving LA. Philly or Providence for someone leaving NYC. Minneapolis or Columbus for someone leaving Chicago. etc
I see your point, but I'd group cities more by commonality than by geography. For example, someone moving from Chicago is going to find Philly or Boston far more familiar than Columbus. In fact I cannot think of a pair of large cities more different than Chicago and Columbus. And that is not meant as a slight on either place. Columbus is more like a larger Ann Arbor or Madison than a smaller Chicago. St Lois feels a bit like Chicago- but without the energy from the throngs of people.

I'd be interested to hear what big-little city pairs people could imagine would work. Maybe I'll start a new thread?

LA - Austin (weather, hip vibe, sprawl of suburbs?)
Chicago - Philly (neighborhoods, dense urban core, transit, pace) Philly big in its own right, but not Chicago big)
SF - Seattle (sort of the same as Chicago-Philly)
Hou - Atl
Columbus - Madison - Ann Arbor

Interestingly, some cities are fairly unique, and I can't think of a good fit for a mini version. Like what is a smaller version of DC?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:27 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Here we go again, yet you claim you have no anti-Atlanta agenda?

I think your attitude and your current home of D.C. both suck. See how this works?

You have absolutely zero credibility when it comes to anything related to Atlanta, as your posting history clearly documents. Once someone like you results to lies and total fabrication, you deserve to be exposed and called out every single time you trash the place - and you will continue to be.
Another rant? I lived in Atlanta on 8th and Juniper I know Atlanta pretty well. I also have family in the northern burbs. I also moved there from a tier 1 city as noted by the OP, NYC, then left for SF, another tier 1. You can think I suck and DC sucks and that's your opinion from your experience and that's ok my friend because plenty of people have the same thought. I think DC sucks at times, the people are uptight and it lacks a strong art scene.... You see how this works? I don't comment on a city like Charlotte because I never lived there.

Plus, it seems as though more people align with my original recommendation based on this poll so far. SD is a good choice, it provides urban amenities on a smaller scale with numerous nice neighborhoods but adds on the beach lifestyle, skiing and Mexico right next door..

Old 07-25-2017, 06:40 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Atlanta is at least a tier ahead of the other cities in this poll.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post
I see your point, but I'd group cities more by commonality than by geography. For example, someone moving from Chicago is going to find Philly or Boston far more familiar than Columbus. In fact I cannot think of a pair of large cities more different than Chicago and Columbus. And that is not meant as a slight on either place. Columbus is more like a larger Ann Arbor or Madison than a smaller Chicago. St Lois feels a bit like Chicago- but without the energy from the throngs of people.

I'd be interested to hear what big-little city pairs people could imagine would work. Maybe I'll start a new thread?

Chicago - Philly (neighborhoods, dense urban core, transit, pace) Philly big in its own right, but not Chicago big)
Hou - Atl

Interestingly, some cities are fairly unique, and I can't think of a good fit for a mini version. Like what is a smaller version of DC?
Possibly Richmond. Similar architecture, culture, etc. Also, maybe Atlanta, but their MSA's are pretty similar in size...I see you used Houston as an example, but its MSA is larger by about 700,000 ppl or so.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:05 AM

1,023 posts, read 911,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkz4 View Post

Hou - Atl

This is a great thread idea and one that could also potentially ruffle some feathers. If you don't start it, I will
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City