Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 05:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,333,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Have you ever actually LIVED in NYC?
Um, I live in NYC, right now.
Quote:
I'm curious because you speak of New York almost always like we're strictly talking about Manhattan, and the other boroughs are not to be taken into consideration.
No, I live in Brooklyn, right now. Why do you think I'm ever "strictly talking about Manhattan"?

Quote:
We should probably be specific about what parts of NYC we're talking about.
I don't know what any of this means. You're saying I need to list all 100 or so NYC neighborhoods, with every comment, to contextualize my comments?

The fact is that most New Yorkers don't own cars, citywide. 60% of households don't own cars, citywide. In every other city, the vast majority of households own cars. So obviously, in NYC, you figure no parking needed, in other cities, you figure parking needed.

Obviously that doesn't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON in NYC doesn't need a parking space and EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Dallas needs a parking space. We're talking typical lifestyles, not exceptions.

NYC is the only major city where luxury housing without parking is the norm, so that's why it was mentioned. It isn't expected, like in Chicago or other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Um, I live in NYC, right now.

No, I live in Brooklyn, right now. Why do you think I'm ever "strictly talking about Manhattan"?

I don't know what any of this means. You're saying I need to list all 100 or so NYC neighborhoods, with every comment, to contextualize my comments?

The fact is that most New Yorkers don't own cars, citywide. 60% of households don't own cars, citywide. In every other city, the vast majority of households own cars. So obviously, in NYC, you figure no parking needed, in other cities, you figure parking needed.

Obviously that doesn't mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON in NYC doesn't need a parking space and EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Dallas needs a parking space. We're talking typical lifestyles, not exceptions.

NYC is the only major city where luxury housing without parking is the norm, so that's why it was mentioned. It isn't expected, like in Chicago or other cities.
Being in a Chicago skyscraper with a view to die for ..... means you CAN Easily have your Ferrari, jag, or simple Mercedes even just for weekends. Right in its win condo in your building.

The Podium-style high-rises you like to demean.... but done right? They still have retail street-level and ALL convinces IN THE BUILDING TOO.

Of course, you could chose no car? But if wealthy enough? Why not utilize both. That's why I'd luv to live in the New East Side (Lakeshore East). A oasis of everything right there ..... views, the lakefront, parks and its own. Yet a QUITE inner community in a Big city all around it. You can walk to a theaters, to shopping, to Millennium Park and Lakefront. Of course? The AWESOME OTHER NEIGHBORHOODS with some quiet in residential blocks with businesses on the main streets.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-31-2017 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,887,330 times
New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.

This is interesting. I'm sure there are more current statistics, but I didn't look that hard. We only hear about the millionaires, but that's not the entire story.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
New York City census data: Manhattan and Brooklyn are much poorer than you think.

This is interesting. I'm sure there are more current statistics, but I didn't look that hard. We only hear about the millionaires, but that's not the entire story.

Jan 2014

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Jan 2014
I'm aware, and I stated it was old. Still, it's 3 years ago....not that much has changed, I'm guessing.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 PM

June 2017 New York City Parts of Brooklyn, Manhattan, South Bronx, Western edge of Queens not all of NYC

Old 07-31-2017, 05:33 PM

Spring 2017 Parts of Chicago

Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 PM

Desirable part of Chicago is still affordable compare to NYC

Old 07-31-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Spring 2017 Parts of Chicago
No wonder there are so many tiny studio apartments in NYC. I look at them on Zillow...crazy what they're asking.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:47 PM

180 posts, read 634,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I don't care if 1000 people disagree. 1+1 doesn't equal 3 just because more people say it does.

And almost every single person who has disagreed is from Chicago or Philly, and so is trying to justify the lower desirability by claiming that all the city needs is water or hills and desirability would skyrocket. It's basically C-D city boosterism 101.
To be fair, my primary motivation for disagreeing with you is that I find it entertaining. (And yes that's a questionable motivation on my part).

Sorry but your never ending insistence that others are biased or "homers" while simultaneously insisting you harbor no biases or agendas yourself but are instead the ultimate arbiter of thr truth,your compete inability to admit, ever, that you are even slightly wrong and, most importantly, the seriousness with which you seem to take your opinions and/or "tiers" of cities is just too much to resist.

I believe you said you live in Brooklyn. NYC is a phenomenal place. Alpha city of the world in my opinion. It's I suppose none of my business but perhaps more time enjoying the amazingness that is NYC might be more rewarding than continually trying to convince others with (god forbid) different preferences or ways of thinking that they are wrong and you are right, or the places they have a preference for are inferior in every and all ways to the great New York.

City-vs-city forum debates are inherently silly and of minimal real world impact. Maybe you are in fact right all the time but at the end of the day, does it really matter? Is it really worth feaverishly and condescendingly responding to some a-hole like me faster than most of us feable soles could have even have typed out a response simply because we dare to question the way you see the world?

As a side note - this post also goes out to anyone else who takes this forum way way to seriously. . Breath folks. No one is going to starve pending the result of a city-vs-city forum debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City