Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 08:00 AM

663 posts, read 306,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Once chi-town said Charlestown as the bad part of Boston in a serious tone ..he lost me. And bosotns neighborhoods blend together and chicagos don’t? Really?
Much of that too long post with 3 links and video had what I noted as - from the link and this young man followed by the link and pasted portions from the link maker.

That was cut n paste portions as not my words. I noted it in that post portion as below. Should have said as others- from the link too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
* This link I will use made by a young man made not as a born here American.

Title: How does Boston compare to Chicago? 2022

https://theflatbkny.com/united-state...re-to-chicago/ [/url]
Just open the. link" and scroll thru to the portion I copied on Charlestown is there. The young man used this neighborhood and its crime stats.

Glad the rest of the post was with valid points by links and the real estate gave more proof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 08:05 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Much of that too long post with 3 links and video had what I noted as - from the link.

That was cut n paste portions as not my words. I noted it in that post as below

Just open the post and the portion I copied on Charlestown is there. The young man used this neighborhood and its crime stats.

Glad the rest of the post was with valid points by links and the real estate gave more proof.
This is a really bad video and really bad link in general. Doesnt answer questions asked, answers unrelated questions, repeats questions, only answers for Boston, only answers for Chicago, totally bushleague. Also, This dude never traveled to Boston if he thinks Charlestown si the worst neighborhood its statistically one fo the safest and wealthiest.... He also contradicts himself about the neighborhoods having distinct feels then not. It might hurt that this guys European. just forget you watched that and erase that link from your history lol.

Exmaples:

Is Boston similar to Chicago?
Short answer: Chicago is a lot like a cheaper, bigger Boston. Longer answer: Similarities: neighborhood-y (i.e. many different neighborhoods each with its own feel)

Is Chicago cleaner than Boston?
While neither city is ranked among the safest cities in their own states, Boston neighborhoods have a much lower crime rate than Chicago. (unrelated answer)

Where is the biggest city in America? (unrelated)
The largest city in the US is New York City, with over 8.5 million residents. Los Angeles and Chicago follow, each with more than 2.5 million residents, and southern US cities Houston and Phoenix round out the top five with populations of almost 2.3 million and 1.6 million, respectively.

Where is colder Boston or Chicago?
Chicago comes in a distant but definitive second, which might explain why those two cities get snowfall earlier and later than Boston – they’re colder.

later

Are Boston winters worse than Chicago?
Chicago is FAR colder than Boston in the winter. The average lows are already about 10 degrees lower, but don’t let that fool you. Those are just averages. Chicago gets FAR more arctic blasts where the temperature is below 0 or in the single digits with insane wind chills.

What is the bad part of Boston?
Charlestown
For Charlestown, Boston crime, the majority of the crime is shootings and drug dealing, especially at the eastern end. This makes it one of the bad neighborhoods in Boston. Property crime, though better than other neighborhoods, still stands out at 1,632 for every 100,000 residents.

He mentions crime in Bosoto being double the national average but then..

Is Boston safer than New York?
Boston is safer than New York.
You will feel safer living in Boston than in New York. Even though New York is more dangerous, its crime rates are lower than the national average. The Big Apple has a violent crime rate of 3.5% compared to the national average of 3.7% (??).

Old 04-11-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
This is a really bad video and really bad link in general. Doesnt answer questions asked, answers unrelated questions, repeats questions, only answers for Boston, only answers for Chicago, totally bushleague. Also, This dude never traveled to Boston if he thinks Charlestown si the worst neighborhood its statistically one fo the safest and wealthiest.... He also contradicts himself about the neighborhoods having distinct feels then not. It might hurt that this guys European. just forget you watched that and erase that link from your history lol.
Fine... still best to use sources. You surely can add correct stats on Charlestown if even now gentrified.

I am sure most stats in this link are more likely correct. So I will not see it as not valid. None of us are always 100% right. Since I never claim stats as if I used my degrees to assemble them. I use others.

Others can refute the work others do I was able search and find if you can. Homes for sale also not my creation. Nor the video by a Boston real estate agent.

There are so many areas mentioned on Boston in threads. I never know even if its Boston proper or not. They take over sometimes between Bostonians with Boston in their ID.

Averages sure are true yet can skew. But I am sure you use them too. We all know winters each year vary.

There is no one answer. Just examples to prove points we wish to make.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:25 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Once chi-town said Charlestown as the bad part of Boston in a serious tone ..he lost me. And bosotns neighborhoods blend together and chicagos don’t? Really?
Well, there is public housing beyond the monument. The Boston-facing side of the hill is pretty upscale. When I lived in Winchester, I had dinner at the bar at Olives a couple times per month.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:52 AM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times
Quote:
Much of that too long post with 3 links and video had what I noted as - from the link and this young man followed by the link and pasted portions from the link maker.

That was cut n paste portions as not my words. I noted it in that post portion as below. Should have said as others- from the link too.

Just open the. link" and scroll thru to the portion I copied on Charlestown is there. The young man used this neighborhood and its crime stats.

Charlestown, dangerous???! HAHA

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3739...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3756...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3738...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3802...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3817...7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3720...7i16384!8i8192

Development
Ferris wheel part of proposal weighed for Charlestown Navy Yard
Development Projects | Boston Planning & Development Agency

Old 04-11-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Well, there is public housing beyond the monument. The Boston-facing side of the hill is pretty upscale. When I lived in Winchester, I had dinner at the bar at Olives a couple times per month.
Charlestown is still one of the safest residential neighborhoods in Boston. Far far from the worst. The site and the vlogger arent credible whatsoever. For a lot of reasons.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:43 AM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Charlestown, dangerous???! HAHA
More dangerous, even, than Blood-soaked Beacon Hill.

Old 04-11-2022, 12:57 PM

In short those cities have less educated populous and higher crime. They're also more Indland with more radius to spread out in its suburbs compared to SF Boston and NYC

Old 04-11-2022, 01:13 PM

I did not want to start a fire or war of ...how dare you. Why can't we ADDRESS THE REAL ESTATE cost in these cities and options.

ALL ganging up on just this one aspect of a long post in one link I posted. Why not start on Boston neighborhoods and do some housing cost?
Quote:
Because there are statistically a high number of Boston area individuals on this forum, like Reddit too.

My airline forum I am apart of is literally 1/3 Boston area folks
Well, you are sure correct.
Quote:
Why is Boston the topic and hijack of literally every thread
Because they have the numbers who come in. Protect the city from not being superior. Still on cost is. Boston with some single or row homes still at a decent non-hyper price range?
Quote:
I visited Boston this weekend and the gentrification is out of control.
Says it all for this thread....

I think you'all can lay to rest disregarding all someones post by one point in a link. I GOT IT.

SO HOW ARE HOME PRICES IN CHARLESTON? Post some cheaper good un-gentrified or middle-class areas having no need to gentrify as were always good in Boston.

So is Chi as pricey overall to have it claim it is no cheaper than Boston unless in a ghetto? Some of you inferred that. WHY I posted real estate in good non-gentrified neighborhoods with solid not ultra-pricey housing with no HOAs. All homes. Picked one I liked.

Where are Philly folk? Their good non-gentrified housing and decent pricing?

Some examples Boston good housing that is decently priced? Some from Philly too.

Old 04-11-2022, 01:27 PM

1,320 posts, read 866,324 times
Does SF have lower overall crime rate than Chicago?

I'm looking at police reports and so far in 2022, SF has had 11.9k offenses while Chicago has had 12.6k offenses, despite having 3x as many people. It seems like you're more likely to be the victim of a crime in SF (proper).

I'm not sure crime has much to do with it when DC is also extremely expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City