Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 11:55 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Read the post above mine and see what he's implying. He's made several remarks about it before, saying minorities who vote Democrat aren't liberal.
I don't see him implying that at all, but okay. If he were to say that outright, I would certainly disagree and challenge him on that point. But that said, Democrat =/= liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 01:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't see him implying that at all, but okay. If he were to say that outright, I would certainly disagree and challenge him on that point. But that said, Democrat =/= liberal.
He has in the past when trying to differentiate Austin from the rest of Texas's blue cities. He did that again with "Austin being the blueberry in the tomato soup" comment. It's true that Democrat =/= liberal, but at the same time --- white =/= liberal.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
He has in the past when trying to differentiate Austin from the rest of Texas's blue cities. He did that again with "Austin being the blueberry in the tomato soup" comment. It's true that Democrat =/= liberal, but at the same time --- white =/= liberal.
Yeah I think that goes without saying, especially looking at that link BajanYankee posted.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:43 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Read the post above mine and see what he's implying. He's made several remarks about it before, saying minorities who vote Democrat aren't liberal.
I've never said that. Just liberal for different reasons. the 60 year old couple in Laredo that votes democrat are going to be different than the white hippies in Austin. Neither is good nor bad, just like conservative isnt' worse than being liberal. Different strokes.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:14 PM

So every time I discuss Austin, it usually turns into personal attacks from the other side, whether it's Dallas, Houston or KC.

Let's take a step back and keep it civil. My thoughts, with some data:

1. All cities over say 200k will have something for everyone. There are gay bars in conservative Birmingham, and redneckish dive bars in liberal Ann Arbor or Portland.

2. Statistically, Austin is the most liberal of the major cities, despite being the "least diverse," as it's detractors like to point out. This doesn't mean that I think Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are not liberal. Stats point out that Austin is the most liberal, no matter how you slice it. That's not a good or bad thing. It's just the statistics.

3. Travis county always goes blue, but the bluest counties are in the valley, which is dominated by Hispanics.

4. No democrat nominee has received less than 82% of the black vote since Kennedy. 65% of Latinos identify with the Latino party.

5. I have long stated that Austin, while not as liberal as the northeast, or PNW or San Fran, was a liberal's paradise.

6. If you ever notice, most activist protesters (other than BLM) tend to be whites. I've stated that Austin has more of those types of liberals vs an older minority couple that just vote democrat because they think that's the party of minorities.

7. If you filter for white voters in bajan's map, this is unbiased data, I didn't make this up, you will see that Travis county, is the only county that went blue among white voters in Texas. Even Dallas and Harris county went to Trump, among white voters.

There's nothing to be offended about, no reason for name calling or personal attacks. Just debating data.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
The White vote in South Florida did not overwhelmingly go to Clinton as much as people would think according to that map. Though liberal does not equal democrat, is Miami really a fortress on the level of Philadelphia or Portland here?

The map is still funny to me. For instance, for Harris County, Clinton got the highest percentage of votes for a democratic candidate and the largest differential of votes percentage wise than any other candidate in probably decades. Yet 70% of Whites in that county voted for Trump. Either not many whites voted at all, every minority in that county voted, or this country is way more diverse than I thought. Same with Dallas County to a lesser extent which has consistently had the democratic candidate win

Old 08-08-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The White vote in South Florida did not overwhelmingly go to Clinton as much as people would think according to that map. Though liberal does not equal democrat, is Miami really a fortress on the level of Philadelphia or Portland here?

The map is still funny to me. For instance, for Harris County, Clinton got the highest percentage of votes for a democratic candidate and the largest differential of votes percentage wise than any other candidate in probably decades. Yet 70% of Whites in that county voted for Trump. Either not many whites voted at all, every minority in that county voted, or this country is way more diverse than I thought. Same with Dallas County to a lesser extent which has consistently had the democratic candidate win
Also, the national breakdown was incredible. Trump crushed it among whites in middle America, but lost the northeast and west coast.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
4. No democrat nominee has received less than 82% of the black vote since Kennedy. 65% of Latinos identify with the Latino party.

Quote:
6. If you ever notice, most activist protesters (other than BLM) tend to be whites. I've stated that Austin has more of those types of liberals vs an older minority couple that just vote democrat because they think that's the party of minorities.
OK now I'm starting to see DTXman34's point.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

OK now I'm starting to see DTXman34's point.
Latino was supposed to say Democrat. It was late at night and I had just worked 14 hours.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Latino was supposed to say Democrat. It was late at night and I had just worked 14 hours.
You never addressed the second point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City