Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 05:34 PM

375 posts, read 332,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
One of the best downtown lakefronts in the country...too bad it seems beyond you to appreciate that.
There are few to no cities in the USA built on a lake. So this is not much praise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 05:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
There are few to no cities in the USA built on a lake. So this is not much praise.
Actually, that's what makes it so great...unique and beautiful.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:16 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,240,698 times
I would like to highlight the elements of Chicago that for me make it a very special city and worth a trip. I am not from Chicago but I go there regularly so my perspective is as an outsider.

1.) The River Walk: No other city in America has better integrated its water features into the urban planning of its city then Chicago. The river is not just a natural feature its an element of the city itself. Walking along the river you have sense that life is happening around you in 3 dimensions. It also offers incredible views of the city from within the city.

2.) The Loop is the epicenter: New York feels like a collection of many cities combined together with centers in Midtown, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and elsewhere. Chicago is centered around the Loop and everything else sort of revolves around it.

3.) The Architecture: Chicago is not only the best city for architecture in the US its arguably one of the best cities for architecture on the planet. It has a large and diverse collection of masterpieces, from some of the biggest architects from the 19th and 20th centuries. Its the birthplace of the skyscraper along with various original architectural styles such the Prairie Style and the Chicago School.

4.) Its the most American City in America but in the best possible way. Chicago doesn't try come off as cute and quaint. Its industrious blue collar heritage is ever present, with its large steel bridges and elevated rail lines. Its buildings are enormous, tall and robust. Often one building will take up an entire city block. Yet its very clean, inviting, walkable and packed with beautiful green space.

Highly recommend it. I like lots of cities around the world but Chicago is one I keep coming back to.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:22 PM

1,013 posts, read 911,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I would like to highlight the elements of Chicago that for me make it a very special city and worth a trip. I am not from Chicago but I go there regularly so my perspective is as an outsider.

1.) The River Walk: No other city in America has better integrated its water features into the urban planning of its city then Chicago. The river is not just a natural feature its an element of the city itself. Walking along the river you have sense that life is happening around you in 3 dimensions. It also offers incredible views of the city from within the city.

2.) The Loop is the epicenter: New York feels like a collection of many cities combined together with centers in Midtown, Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn and elsewhere. Chicago is centered around the Loop and everything else sort of revolves around it.

3.) The Architecture: Chicago is not only the best city for architecture in the US its arguably one of the best cities for architecture on the planet. It has a large and diverse collection of masterpieces, from some of the biggest architects from the 19th and 20th centuries. Its the birthplace of the skyscraper along with various original architectural styles such the Prairie Style and the Chicago School.

4.) Its the most American City in America but in the best possible way. Chicago doesn't try come off as cute and quaint. Its industrious blue collar heritage is ever present, with its large steel bridges and elevated rail lines. Its buildings are enormous, tall and robust. Often one building will take up an entire city block. Yet its very clean, inviting, walkable and packed with beautiful green space.

Highly recommend it. I like lots of cities around the world but Chicago is one I keep coming back to.
Very well said! I travel there as well and marvel how beautiful it is yet altogether spacious and easy and affordable, especially when compared to NYC. It’s its own place and shouldn’t really be compared to anywhere else.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Long Island surely has its beaches. But nothing bests the white sands of Florida and its blue waters and palms (so both Northeastern and Great Lakes beaches are secondary). Many by Northern NJ ..... people don't go in the ocean water. Speaking of blue hues ..... Lake Michigan surely does a good job for those flying over of on its shores. Still within the city of Chicago and near and in its downtown.

This video is North Ave Beach. Just north of downtown Chicago within the Greater Core.
A DRONE captures its scope, blue waters and popularity with beach-goers ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHLjzCLECo

Hollywood beach Chicago showing CHRYSTAL BLUE WATERS on close-UPS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXAFPQoLAs

This is Oak St beach right downtown on a warm May day before the Tiki bar
was even up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGaeIPn0N3Q

AWESOME - Drone OVER CHICAGO'S NAVY PIER, then the Harbor,
Skyline and 1/2 way through some of Millennium , Maggie Daley Parks and back....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY8p-lvdSck
Absolutely epic, Dave, especially when you factor in its proximity to Downtown.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:36 PM

398 posts, read 382,119 times
Quote:

You nailed it, Ken!

The way the water is integrated into the core of the city is truly unmatched in the states.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:20 AM

536 posts, read 639,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post
You nailed it, Ken!

The way the water is integrated into the core of the city is truly unmatched in the states.
Don't forget San Antonio!

Old 11-14-2017, 06:58 AM

375 posts, read 332,023 times
Quote:
Normally I don't do this when we're talking subjective opinions. But come on, have you ever left the USA?

Quote:
Try Miami/Miami Beach for starters (technically two cities but combined, smaller than Chicago).

And, I really really really don't see what's special about Chicago's waterfront. Maybe I missed something when I went there (to the waterfront) years and years ago (I'm usually in Chicago for business when it's not warm unlike you tourists).

I just saw a bunch of tall buildings, sand and beach. No European strand with cafes, restaurants and bars lining the sand? Really can someone point me to what's so special about a bunch of skyscrapers lining a lake?

Quote:
No, just no. Chicago wouldn't make the top 25 list for best architecture. That list would be swamped by European and East Asian cities.

European cities like Prague, Vienna, St. Petersburg, Firenze, Barcelona, the list could go on and on and on from large to small.

Even East Asian cities, take Shanghai for example. Areas of the city look like Paris, areas have those tall, new, shiny skyscrapers that Chicago has (except these are newer and nicer), and areas have that Oriental architecture going on, and then there are the commie-style tenements. Just the variety there would blow your mind.

Speaking of which, I'm not with you Chicago is best in the USA.

Quote:
Highly recommend it. I like lots of cities around the world but Chicago is one I keep coming back to.[/quote]

I don't see why Chicago earned this "All American City." When I think of an all American city, I think of Los Angeles, or better yet San Diego. Car centric. McMansions. Etc

Old 11-14-2017, 07:13 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I don't see why Chicago earned this "All American City."
It is because many people think of the middle west as the "genuine heartland" of America.

And Chicago is the New York of the middle west.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
I actually just got back from 4 days in Chicago. I have never visited Chicago before (which is hard to believe considering I have been everywhere), and I must say it is a wonderful city to visit. Obviously if you have to pick between New York or Chicago, New York offers a certain experience no other US city can compete with, but for an additional American city to visit, Chicago should be high on everyones list.

I am a constructor and a foodie so I took advantage of as much as I could in my 4 days there and was not disappointed. I will definitely return in the summer to experience the city when its warm.

P.S. It was sooo cold, but still fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City