Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:28 PM

93,854 posts, read 124,582,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator545 View Post
The NY metro population is huge, but I always thought it was unfairly inflated since it includes all of Long Island, Westchester, a few counties in Connecticut, and almost all of New Jersey. Commuting to NYC from some of those places can take 3+ hours if traffic sucks.
There aren't any CT counties in the NYC metro. Fairfield County is the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk metro area.

However, the NYC metro did gain the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro a little after the 2010 census and includes Rockland County, as well as just about half of NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 03:48 PM

555 posts, read 502,981 times
Quote:
I went to school in the snow belt of Upstate NY and I've done quite a bit of snowboarding in the Rockies during subzero temperatures, so I've definitely tested my love for the cold and honestly I've never gotten tired of it.
With all due respect, you've not tested your ability to tolerate North Dakota cold. The issue there in the winter is the wind, which has blown across the whole state and/or part of Canada by the time you feel it, and it cuts right through you. And it goes on for days, weeks - creating blowing snow and drifting conditions that affect you long after any snowfall has finished. It's just a different kind of cold. It can be brutal if you're not used to experiencing winter in open areas. This said as someone from Minnesota.

One more difference between Minneapolis and Fargo is the intangible effect that can be felt when a significant portion of people who live there are originally from near there. Minneapolis, though no magnet for people the world over, will be a *little* more similar to NYC in the sense that you will have an easier time meeting people from other areas or experiencing something of other cultures. Not a lot, but some. Definitely more than Fargo. Although the economy is doing well in Fargo, it doesn't have much to do with the oil boom (that happened on the opposite side of the state and Drew a lot of people from all over) - it has more to do with becoming a hiring center and drawing people from the more rural areas within the state itself. So things tend to be more... homogenous. That may or may not bother you. Just something to consider.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:42 AM

43 posts, read 71,473 times
I don't consider myself a man of "culture" so to speak, as in I don't actively seek out activities like theaters and museums, at least on my own. My fiance would be more into that.

I also don't particularly care about diversity. People are people and I don't really place a priority on where they're from as a way of judging how much I'll enjoy being around them. I've been happy in both NYC which is as mixed as it gets as well as Upstate New York where it's whiter than Wonder Bread.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:21 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,501,815 times
Quote:
I also don't particularly care about diversity. People are people and I don't really place a priority on where they're from as a way of judging how much I'll enjoy being around them. I've been happy in both NYC which is as mixed as it gets as well as Upstate New York where it's whiter than Wonder Bread.
Thought crime! You have to care about "diversity" now.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 PM

555 posts, read 502,981 times
Quote:
I don't consider myself a man of "culture" so to speak, as in I don't actively seek out activities like theaters and museums, at least on my own. My fiance would be more into that.

My intentions were not to knock Fargo or point out a lack of the type of "culture" you're referring to (the arts). There is a general lack of diversity, yes. But I'm more talking about what it's like to be with a majority of people who grew up in or near an area in which you did not. White or not, you'll understand what I'm talking about if you move there.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:03 PM

43 posts, read 71,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
My intentions were not to knock Fargo or point out a lack of the type of "culture" you're referring to (the arts). There is a general lack of diversity, yes. But I'm more talking about what it's like to be with a majority of people who grew up in or near an area in which you did not. White or not, you'll understand what I'm talking about if you move there.

It sounds like what you're describing has to do with people perhaps being insular since they have roots in the area which often means more established friendships and a lesser desire to make new ones?

At least, that's what I've heard about with people discussing "Minnesota Nice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City