Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dallas Summers 119 50.64%
Chicago Winters 116 49.36%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,391,257 times

Advertisements

Chicago's winters ain't bad, I mean we're not talking Minneapolis here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 08:56 AM

23,518 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Dallas summers.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:35 AM

482 posts, read 398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
One can always put on more layers, however the same does not hold true for removing them.
It really does boil down to this. ^

I strongly dislike weather extremes of any sort, so I can't say I "prefer" either. But with very cold weather, I at least feel empowered to do something about it by wearing more layers. There's no comparable way to minimize the misery of being outdoors in extremely hot temperatures.

On another note, one consideration I don't believe has been mentioned is duration of the extreme season. Let's say I generally feel colder temperatures are more tolerable, but the colder city has six months of very cold temperatures whereas the hotter city only has one or two months of extreme heat, in that case I'm going to prefer the hotter city -- because the hot city would provide the benefit of less total time enduring any weather extreme.

Dallas is extremely hot, but as a pattern I only find it unbearable for three months -- June through August, give or take a few weeks. For the rest of the year, aside from the rare snow/ice storm, the weather is really really nice. To be fair though, I've spent a lot of time in Chicago during the winter, and I did not get the impression the worst of their miserable season generally lasts any longer than a few months either.

I guess there's no clear winner between these two cities in the weather category; they're both juuust miserable enough that ultimately weather probably should not be the deciding factor for choosing one over the other. These are my two favorite U.S. cities; I feel it's a blessing to be in either one. For where I am in my life right now and for the foreseeable future, Dallas works better. But if hypothetically things were to change, I would not refuse to go to Chicago because of the winters alone.

I vote for Chicago winter but only by a hair.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:12 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
It really does boil down to this. ^

I strongly dislike weather extremes of any sort, so I can't say I "prefer" either. But with very cold weather, I at least feel empowered to do something about it by wearing more layers. There's no comparable way to minimize the misery of being outdoors in extremely hot temperatures.

On another note, one consideration I don't believe has been mentioned is duration of the extreme season. Let's say I generally feel colder temperatures are more tolerable, but the colder city has six months of very cold temperatures whereas the hotter city only has one or two months of extreme heat, in that case I'm going to prefer the hotter city -- because the hot city would provide the benefit of less total time enduring any weather extreme.

Dallas is extremely hot, but as a pattern I only find it unbearable for three months -- June through August, give or take a few weeks. For the rest of the year, aside from the rare snow/ice storm, the weather is really really nice. To be fair though, I've spent a lot of time in Chicago during the winter, and I did not get the impression the worst of their miserable season generally lasts any longer than a few months either.

I guess there's no clear winner between these two cities in the weather category; they're both juuust miserable enough that ultimately weather probably should not be the deciding factor for choosing one over the other. These are my two favorite U.S. cities; I feel it's a blessing to be in either one. For where I am in my life right now and for the foreseeable future, Dallas works better. But if hypothetically things were to change, I would not refuse to go to Chicago because of the winters alone.

I vote for Chicago winter but only by a hair.
Very true...only two months a year, that I didn't love the weather. Otherwise, a nice seasonal variation. People who live in the warmer climates, like to portray some cities that have winter, as being cold, for 6 months a year...that's rubbish.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Chicago weathers by a long shot

Old 08-06-2017, 10:59 AM

993 posts, read 1,766,769 times
Chicago winter by far. You can always add more layers. Plus, I can barely handle Minneapolis summers when the temps climb into the 90s, there's no way I could do Dallas.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:19 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
This is tough.. call me a wuss but Chicago winters are brutal, not only is it cold, it's grey and windy almost every day. I lived through two winters there and left. I hear it's been milder recently but when I was there in the early 2000's, it was freezing. With that said I'd still choose Chicago. Dallas as a city does not appeal to me really, I'll suffer through the winter since its few months whereareas living in Dallas is the entire year.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:22 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slam4444 View Post
I would rather deal with heat, humidity and sunshine than 5 or 6 months of darkness, cold, and misery. I say that as a someone who lives in the Chicago suburbs.
I think you also underestimate the unrelenting powerful sun angle at 32N latitude in Dallas. That sun will wear most northerners down fast, meaning it makes the 100F in July feel like 120F in direct sunlight.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:40 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
The high temp in Dallas tomorrow will be 86, Tuesday 85 and Wednesday 89. It's not always 105 degrees here. I think people think the Summers here are like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We aren't in the desert.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:47 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
The high temp in Dallas tomorrow will be 86, Tuesday 85 and Wednesday 89. It's not always 105 degrees here. I think people think the Summers here are like Phoenix or Las Vegas. We aren't in the desert.
It doesn't matter if high temperatures are in the 80s, the sun angle is still intolerable due to latitude being much too low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City