Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 10:44 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,393 times

Advertisements

Help me out everyone, I most likely will be moving back to the south east from Seattle, WA due to cost of living, I have a job and will be transferring.

A little back story,

My name is Ricky, I was raised in Georgia majority of my life, I'm currently 38, not married, no kids, no pets. Just me, easy to pick up and leave. I've also lived in Daytona Beach for 7 years, though my first life goal growing up was Jacksonville, It was the first big city I've ever seen, as far as a city with a skyline an I was fascinated by it. I love water, I love beaches, but I also love mountains and forest. The cost of living in Jax and Augusta area are far lower than what Seattle is, though since my pay is based on locality, I may still take a few dollars off a pay cut.

I'm looking for diversity, lots of options, such as shopping, entertainment, ect. I also would like access to Asian markets to get my supplies, and before you ask, i'm not asian but love the foods and culture. I'm actually white though it doesn't make a difference.

I'd also like to be somewhere that's not so crime ridden, I know both areas mentioned have good and bad areas but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
For now I am just looking for some pros and cons to help make my decision.

Another factor is my family lives in Georgia though only a 5 hr drive from Jax, or an hour drive from Augusta area, I say Augusta Area because I"m also looking at areas just outside such as Martinez and Evans. I'm also open to areas outside of Jax such as Orange Park.

As far as my budget, I will be making between $35k-$40k at the time of my move.

I don't mind starting out in an apartment but in time would like to be able to buy a house... something again that isn't happening in Seattle on a single income.

Anyways that's all I got for now, and please ask me any questions to help my decision.

Rick~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:29 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualErik View Post
Help me out everyone, I most likely will be moving back to the south east from Seattle, WA due to cost of living, I have a job and will be transferring.

A little back story,

My name is Ricky, I was raised in Georgia majority of my life, I'm currently 38, not married, no kids, no pets. Just me, easy to pick up and leave. I've also lived in Daytona Beach for 7 years, though my first life goal growing up was Jacksonville, It was the first big city I've ever seen, as far as a city with a skyline an I was fascinated by it. I love water, I love beaches, but I also love mountains and forest. The cost of living in Jax and Augusta area are far lower than what Seattle is, though since my pay is based on locality, I may still take a few dollars off a pay cut.

I'm looking for diversity, lots of options, such as shopping, entertainment, ect. I also would like access to Asian markets to get my supplies, and before you ask, i'm not asian but love the foods and culture. I'm actually white though it doesn't make a difference.

I'd also like to be somewhere that's not so crime ridden, I know both areas mentioned have good and bad areas but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
For now I am just looking for some pros and cons to help make my decision.

Another factor is my family lives in Georgia though only a 5 hr drive from Jax, or an hour drive from Augusta area, I say Augusta Area because I"m also looking at areas just outside such as Martinez and Evans. I'm also open to areas outside of Jax such as Orange Park.

As far as my budget, I will be making between $35k-$40k at the time of my move.

I don't mind starting out in an apartment but in time would like to be able to buy a house... something again that isn't happening in Seattle on a single income.

Anyways that's all I got for now, and please ask me any questions to help my decision.

Rick~

Depends on what you are looking for on this move. Jacksonville vs. Augusta is an Apples vs. Oranges and no comparison really. Augusta is a small town compared to Jax, literally... No beaches if beach communities are what you are looking for but again, depends on what your looking for.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM

3,159 posts, read 2,209,438 times
I would think that coming from Seattle, going to Jacksonville would be an easier transition vs. Augusta due to the size and amenities of the area. Jacksonville would have more to offer as for as shopping, entertainment and ethnic markets which you had mentioned as key preferences. Augusta does have closer proximity to mountains, but they are still pretty far especially since it isn't as well connected by north-south routes compared to east-west (I-20). The lack of state income tax in Florida (like you have in Washington) may also be an advantage for Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City