Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: PA vs. NY
NY 72 51.80%
PA 67 48.20%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 06:28 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,934,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Awesome thread! Both states are among my favorites!

I ultimately ended up choosing PA, although I haven't seen as much of Upstate NY as I have rural PA. Not only is Philly my favorite city, but PA also has a host of other interesting cities (Bethlehem, Easton, Scranton, Milford, etc.). Philadelphia's suburbs are also the best in the US, imo. They tend to be more historic and connected to the city by rail than any other area. Speaking of rail, Philly's MSA and CSA are the best suited MSA and CSA for sustainable future growth as Philly has the US' only truly connected commuter rail system, which is also fully electrified.

Outside of Philly, Northeast PA and the Lehigh Valley are stunning. Having Delaware Water Gap is hard to beat. Although NY has its own beaches (PA also has beaches by Lake Erie), the South Jersey portion of the Shore is superior to anything above Ocean County (with Ashbury Park being a notable exception).

One thing I like about NY is the fact that residents in Upstate realize that NYC is the state's economic driver and don't mind investing their tax dollars towards it. Rural PA residents are reluctant to fund anything related to Philly, although we subsidize the rest of the state with the tax revenues we generate. Southeast PA is also the only portion of PA experiencing growth. Another thing I like about NY is their school funding formula. PA's district system could use an overhaul so that certain districts can receive the increased funding that they deserve.
40% of NY state population live in NYC and 50% of state economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 07:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Whats the total population of NYC suburban counties? NY State only

Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,542,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Uhhhhhhh..... yeah, I'm not so sure about that... lol
I am going to have to agree with that skepticism of his remark.

I know a lot of people from here who are so bitter towards downstate that it makes me look like a fan. Anybody who has paid attention knows I am not, but I can at least be reasonable about it.

I have never personally known another state where so many people loathed the "big city region" quite as much as in NY. In many cases, it's the ignorance of our state born from that giant that make a lot of up-staters tired. Even Illinois doesn't have that problem, as people widely know there is an Illinois apart from Chicago.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:22 PM

486 posts, read 601,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
PA lacks a beachfront and nothing matches the finger lakes and Adirondacks IMHO
PA does not lack a beachfront. In fact, it probably boasts some of the best beaches on the Great Lakes

Old 08-11-2017, 10:01 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
It shouldn't! People should be smart enough to realize there is an entire state attached. All it takes is looking at a map.

It isn't rocket science.

This is what I'm talking about. Upstate goes entirely ignored and discounted and almost shunned from things it is a part of.
I agree that upstate doesn't get enough attention for what it has, but it also is the case that the NYC metropolitan area includes a huge area and a very large population of New York state. It seems odd that a large economic driver for the state is so looked down upon for the rest of the state. If anything, NYC and its metropolitan area should be seen as an opportunity for the area and as a focal point to attract and workshop talent, skills, and capital from throughout the state, nation, and the world into something that benefits and spreads out throughout the rest of the state. The divide that's been created is so artificial and ahistoric. The idea that someone might come for NYC, but stay for all the rest of the great NYS should be something that's pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jFug View Post
PA does not lack a beachfront. In fact, it probably boasts some of the best beaches on the Great Lakes

These are great through and through, but it must be said that NYS has things similar. NYS in terms of lakes has frontage on Lake Erie (needs a bit of work in and around Buffalo), Lake Ontario, Lake Champlain, the Finger Lakes, the Atlantic seaboard in NYC and Long Island as well as the long and wide estuary that is the Hudson Valley. The state of NYC has some pretty major geographic blessings that are uncommon and in many ways underappreciated.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I agree that upstate doesn't get enough attention for what it has, but it also is the case that the NYC metropolitan area includes a huge area and a very large population of New York state. It seems odd that a large economic driver for the state is so looked down upon for the rest of the state. If anything, NYC and its metropolitan area should be seen as an opportunity for the area and as a focal point to attract and workshop talent, skills, and capital from throughout the state, nation, and the world into something that benefits and spreads out throughout the rest of the state. The divide that's been created is so artificial and ahistoric. The idea that someone might come for NYC, but stay for all the rest of the great NYS should be something that's pushed.
A lot of the resentment comes from a few different sources.

1. The rest of the country makes assumptions of the whole state based solely on NYC. NYC does not have the best reputation with all Americans being known as rude, self absorbed and materialistic. This also deflects attention away from upstate NY's true identities, for example, Agricultural state, Rust Belt, Appalachian, etc.

As somebody who moved from NY to Louisiana I have first hand experienced the assumptions and ignorance of what is NY state. So much so that a woman from Texas literally accused me of making up my rural history.

2. Politics. This is a big one. A lot of upstaters are moderate or conservative and they are utterly silenced by the overwhelming blue from downstate. This also plays into the national assumption of a New Yorker.

3. Cultural divide. With the exception of transplants and travelers, upstate and downstate NY are two very different worlds. A rushing urbanite from NYC can come off as too rude and disrespectful when visiting more small town and laid back parts of NY. Likewise, some upstaters can come off to people from NYC as backwards and borderline redneck.

This doesn't exactly do any favors for the perception of either side, from either side.

Basically, it doesn't have much to do with finances at all. At least not from upstate's perspective.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,671,151 times
NYS by far

There's only 4 states better than NYS ,

California,Texas,Florida & Hawaii !!

Old 08-12-2017, 12:10 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
The state of New York, I guess.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 08-12-2017 at 12:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
NYS by far

I really do not understand the appeal of Florida.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:10 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
NYS by far

Yes......because you said this., then I'll accept it as fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City