Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birmingham, AL vs. Greenville, SC
Birmingham 46 41.07%
Greenville 66 58.93%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:57 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Can you name some other stuff that B'ham has that Greenville doesn't have?
Saks Fifth Avenue

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Birmingham and Greenville are pretty similar in the retail, chain restaurant, entertainment department. If you live in Greenville and move to Birmingham, you wont miss much in that department, and vice versa. You may gain depending on your tastes.

And that Bass Pro was supposed to open back in 2015. Not banking on that anymore.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville is close to Atlanta, Charlotte, Asheville, the Blue Ridge Mountains, and closer to the beach, specifically Myrtle and Charleston. I'd say Greenville gets the nod on location but Birmingham's isn't bad at all.

True, although Greenville is no slouch there.

True, but folks from Greenville can easily head to Atlanta or Charlotte for more high end shopping and make a day out of it. Folks from Birmingham can do the same (Atlanta or Nashville).

They may be more or less equal here. Both have underrated food scenes.

You walk around downtown as many others do, eating out, shopping, catching a performance at the Peace Center, catching a minor league baseball game, etc. And you'll be visiting Falls Park repeatedly; it's a pretty enchanting place IMO.
I can't lie, I really like Greenville but I gotta go with my state's largest city. 1) because I'm bias and secondly I think Birmingham offers a lot more than what it's given credit for.

Plus Bimringham has a Chuy's Tex Mex ! Lol.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Plus Bimringham has a Chuy's Tex Mex ! Lol.
Greenville has a Chuy's too, so now you know if you ever visit.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:32 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
What about Papadeaux Seafood Kitchen; does Greenville have a location? I love that place, especially the Sunday brunch buffet.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,663,312 times
Based on relevant factors for my tastes

COL-Earnings Ratio: Birmingham $134K Med.->51K Med. > Greenville $154K -48K. Slight edge Birmingham.
Sports: Even (BHam has UAB right in Downtown, but GVille has Clemson in Metro, BHam slightly closer to Atlanta for pro sports, but Greenville closer to Charlotte than Atlanta is to any similar market. Minor Leagues comparable also.)
Location: Greenville. They are similar to Atlanta, but Greenville is closer to the mountains, ocean, NE, etc.
Nature: Relatively similar around town. Birmingham might actually be a bit more scenic in the immediate vicinity, but that is balanced by Greenville's edge further out, and seeming greater presence of park spaces/bike path mileage.
Urbanity: Greenville is perhaps cleaner and more inviting (the downtown stretch is very walkable and tourist friendly). But Birmingham wins this. Bigger feel, more walkability (citywide/WalkScore), more historic sites (NRHP), the state cultural hub.
Climate: Quite similar for the most part, but I'll go with Greenville due to it's summer being slightly milder (albeit it's winter is a cooler too but I prefer too cold to too hot. Plus, in Greenville, you're about an hour drive from mountains that make things significantly cooler, where in Birmingham, you have mountains nearby, but are about a 3-4 hour drive from the ones that impact climate.

Interestingly enough, 2 Ties, 2 for Greenville and 2 for Birmingham. But I think I would go with Greenville, given the choice. Being that close to the Smokies is too much to pass up.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
What about Papadeaux Seafood Kitchen; does Greenville have a location? I love that place, especially the Sunday brunch buffet.
Unfortunately no Pappadeux. I don't think anywhere in SC has that. I didn't even know that existed until a couple months ago.

Old 09-29-2017, 02:42 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
No.

https://pappadeaux.com/locations/

Old 09-29-2017, 03:48 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,399,875 times
Quote:
Unfortunately no Pappadeux. I don't think anywhere in SC has that. I didn't even know that existed until a couple months ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hopefully Greenville will get one. Birmingham opened an Inverness location where Ralph and Kacoo's used to be on 280.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 PM

5,000 posts, read 9,147,545 times
Quote:
Damn !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City