Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:45 PM

9 posts, read 38,589 times

Advertisements

I think this is a good comparison. Both aren't just restricted to the DC metro area and offer diverse living choices. One state is more northern in attitude while the other is more southern (Yes both are southern geographically, but I'm talking more so the general attitude of culture, business, housing stock, and people). Both are among the richest states in the country and have great schools. So given a choice, which state would you choose the live in?

-Maryland
Population: 5,699,478
Land area: 12,407 sq mi
Density: 541.9/sq mi
Largest city: Baltimore
Capital: Annapolis
Largest metro: Baltimore-Washington metro area
Median income: $69,272
Maryland.gov
Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Virginia
Population: 7,882,590
Land area: 42,774.2 sq mi
Density: 193/sq mi
Largest city: Virginia Beach
Capital: Richmond
Largest metro: Northern Virginia
Median income: $61,044

Virginia.gov
Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,575,239 times
Northern Virginia>>Maryland

Southern Virginia<<<Maryland

choose Northern Virginia

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,034,220 times
My parents actually got a residence in Arlington a few months ago. So I can already say that, but I like Maryland more for some reason. Maryland I guess has Washington DC AND its own big city with Baltimore. While Virginia is just Washington DC and possibly Richmond (It needs to get bigger).

I have a hard time taking some of the cities in Virginia besides the capital Richmond seriously sometimes. They just seem so tiny to what I'm used too.

Old 12-16-2010, 03:52 PM

9 posts, read 38,589 times
Forgot to add a poll, and a mod add one please?

Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
My parents actually got a residence in Arlington a few months ago. So I can already say that, but I like Maryland more for some reason. Maryland I guess has Washington DC AND its own big city with Baltimore. While Virginia is just Washington DC and possibly Richmond (It needs to get bigger).
You forgot Norfolk.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:12 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I live in a Maryland suburb just north of Washington DC. I prefer northern Virginia a little more because it's been the more happening place for some time. Still, Maryland has a lot a cool cities and towns like Baltimore, Annapolis, Cumberland, Bethesda, Silver Spring, Chesapeake Beach, Ocean City and many others.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 12-16-2010 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-16-2010, 06:12 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,104 times
Maryland has true urban areas. The suburbs are also nicer- A lot less sprawly than VA's.
Virginia is much more vast though. It's a beautiful state.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:51 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Maryland has true urban areas. The suburbs are also nicer- A lot less sprawly than VA's.
Virginia is much more vast though. It's a beautiful state.
what do you mean by nicer? va has plenty of awesome towns like arlington and alexandria. i also happen to like this 'sprawl' of nova. i love the trees, the greenery, the manicured property, and the new office buildings scattered all over the place. it's modern but also retains its historic pockets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...248.36,,0,5.07

Terhal International Tourism Ltd. - Travellers Photos

Arlington VA Real Estate Townhouse in Clarendon - jseville's Blog

Tysons corner skyline image by bustedpits on Photobucket

http://money.usnews.com/money/retire...inia/arlington

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 12-16-2010 at 07:15 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 03:11 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,264 times
Virginia, easily.

Virginia has far more Southern influence than can be found anywhere in Maryland. Maryland's Eastern Shore is nice and some areas in rural western Maryland are acceptable, but Baltimore is vastly overrated and PG county and the DC suburbs are vile. Southern Virginia is firmly part of the Upper South and gets an A+ in hospitality.

Virginia - the mother of presidents, the home to fascinating colonial history and its own architecture, Shenandoah National Park - the first national park on the east coast south of Maine, Patsy Cline, bluegrass, Virginia ham, spoonbread, the beautiful city of Richmond, the friendly folks, nice mountain towns, Busch Gardens, Virginia Beach, diversity of landscape, and the more rural setting.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Virginia, easily.

Virginia has far more Southern influence than can be found anywhere in Maryland. Maryland's Eastern Shore is nice and some areas in rural western Maryland are acceptable, but Baltimore is vastly overrated and PG county and the DC suburbs are vile. Southern Virginia is firmly part of the Upper South and gets an A+ in hospitality.

Virginia - the mother of presidents, the home to fascinating colonial history and its own architecture, Shenandoah National Park - the first national park on the east coast south of Maine, Patsy Cline, bluegrass, Virginia ham, spoonbread, the beautiful city of Richmond, the friendly folks, nice mountain towns, Busch Gardens, Virginia Beach, diversity of landscape, and the more rural setting.
how do u figure baltimore is overrated??? Who on this site, other than me, says anything nice about baltimore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City