Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 12:44 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
My homegirl is half AA half Costa Rican her dad is Afro and the Afro pride in her background is so strong that she views Hispanics as being different from her.

Afro Costa Rican’s live in Caribbean communities so maybe you just haven’t bumped into one. They are a very small group tho. I’ve seen a few white looking ones in Queens when it was th World Cup!
That's interesting because I find that a lot of half AA/half Latino or half WA/half Latino people cling really hard to their Latino half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I'm not saying it's the norm but I've seen it. I know I've ran into some Guatemalans who were just as dark as me or darker(I'm Donald Glover's complexion). Ditto for some Mexicans from Puebla and Guerrero.

On a side note, is it me or are Haitians the largest West Indian group in Brooklyn/Queens these days? It seems I run into them more than Jamaicans in both boroughs whereas the opposite from true in the early 2000's.
I don't think that skin color is even possible without African ancestry! Or maybe you mean like an out in the sun every day kind of look, that still looks like a different hue to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 AM

2 posts, read 1,214 times
Default New York

In total, New York has the largest Caribbean population. Break it down, Jamaicans are highest in NY, while FL has the biggest Haitian population outside Haiti. Trini, Barbados, Grenada, NY takes the cake in total. Miami may have the highest foreign population now where has NY has the highest caribbean American population.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 PM

39 posts, read 30,327 times
depends on the country....
Haitians- Florida
Jamaicans- New York
Bahamas-Florida
Eastern Caribbean- New York
Trinidad/Guyana- New York
Belize/Panama- Florida

Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 AM

700 posts, read 421,754 times
New York City is the Caribbean hub of America. NYC also has a much more diverse Caribbean population than Florida. Even though Haitians run Florida I will say from a city to city comparison the number of Haitians in NYC can compare to any city in Florida. Over 90K Haitians living in the city alone, and well over 200K Haitians living in the NYC metro area. For the rest of the island groups its safe to say NYC holds much more weight than Florida.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:11 AM

700 posts, read 421,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_in_DR View Post
depends on the country....
Haitians- Florida
Jamaicans- New York
Bahamas-Florida
Eastern Caribbean- New York
Trinidad/Guyana- New York
Belize/Panama- Florida
Belizeans are more deep in Los Angeles than anywhere else. I also disagree with Panama and think it should be New York unless there is a stat I am not familiar with.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
New York City is the Caribbean hub of America. NYC also has a much more diverse Caribbean population than Florida. Even though Haitians run Florida I will say from a city to city comparison the number of Haitians in NYC can compare to any city in Florida. Over 90K Haitians living in the city alone, and well over 200K Haitians living in the NYC metro area. For the rest of the island groups its safe to say NYC holds much more weight than Florida.
i think its def miami. i recently found out in this forum that n.y.c. had a larger caribbean population than boston (thanks brooklynjo).
even as karnaval is coming up, i hear more about miami karnaval on the radio (eventhough n.y.c. is a big deal too).

also, from your other thread, i know that total percentages dont matter much to you. but n.y.c.'s black population is mostly african-american so the influence feels mostly african-american. whereas the black population of miami is mostly west-indian.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 09-21-2018 at 12:21 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Greater NY comprises 3 states. If you compare Tri County SoFla to Tri State NY I think South Florida would be on par with greater NYC in terms of raw population and percentage of Haitians..

And again NYC doesn't automatically hold more weight than Miami in every group. Bahamians are an example of Miami having more than NYC. Both states I'd say African Americans still run the gamut overall.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
... but n.y.c.'s black population is mostly african-american so the influence feels mostly african-american. whereas the black population of miami is mostly west-indian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Greater NY comprises 3 states. If you compare Tri County SoFla to Tri State NY I think South Florida would be on par with greater NYC in terms of raw population and percentage of Haitians..

And again NYC doesn't automatically hold more weight than Miami in every group. Bahamians are an example of Miami having more than NYC. Both states I'd say African Americans still run the gamut overall.
really, even in la floride ?

Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Yeah. There are still many Black Americans in South Florida and the further north you go, the more it becomes Black American. Especially in the panhandle and Jacksonville.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:02 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
They got so many towns that are a majority AA all over the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City