Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
You can't put MInneapolis as a Tier 2 city and St Paul as a tier 4. they are both tier 2 cities.
They are both the same city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,658,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
Wait, you are using a real estate web site as reference for population statistics? And you are also looking at annual numbers? If this is accurate, what is the need for the US census. We should save our tax dollars.
The data shown on the Texas A&M real estate site is pulled directly from US Census Bureau estimates. Decade census counts are also shown. I just like referring to their site because it is easier to read and research.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
You can't put MInneapolis as a Tier 2 city and St Paul as a tier 4. they are both tier 2 cities.
You mean because they're the same right? Not St. Paul on its own compared to cities like St. Louis and Cleveland, right?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:18 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Spring View Post
The data shown on the Texas A&M real estate site is pulled directly from US Census Bureau estimates. Decade census counts are also shown. I just like referring to their site because it is easier to read and research.
The estimates are pretty useless though to be honest...

Old 10-13-2017, 07:23 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
The estimates are pretty useless though to be honest...
Thank you for saying this. I hate it when people use estimates to argue that City X is in decline, when every decennial census shows growth.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsettler View Post
Yes WRONG

The region has had slow growth since about 2013.

U.S. Census Bureau says metro Detroit grew in 2015

also source your data, thanks.
Look. The information I posted is from the Decennial Census; they are official. You are referring to estimates, which are notoriously wrong. Feel free to reach out after the 2020 numbers are released and let me know if the Detroit metro is growing again. As of right now, I'm right - it's been declining.

Last edited by YIMBY; 10-13-2017 at 10:22 AM..

Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Thank you for saying this. I hate it when people use estimates to argue that City X is in decline, when every decennial census shows growth.
Some people do the opposite, such is the case with Detroit-estimates say slow growth (and extremely slow, I would describe it as stagnating) but people act like it is proof of a renaissance. I'm not saying a renaissance is or is not happening but commenting on that specific piece of evidence people bring up.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:54 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Some people do the opposite, such is the case with Detroit-estimates say slow growth (and extremely slow, I would describe it as stagnating) but people act like it is proof of a renaissance. I'm not saying a renaissance is or is not happening but commenting on that specific piece of evidence people bring up.
I haven’t been to Detroit, and don’t know anything about it, but I currently live in a city that undergoing a Renaissance that isn’t reflected by raw census numbers. Sometimes you really need to be on the ground to see it. If people in Detroit see their city becoming a better place, I’m not willing to argue that it isn’t happening.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:26 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,055,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I think when you consider the economic malaise the Detroit region was stuck in from 02-2011 and that the region lost a couple hundred thousand residents during the great recession(and even more clout economically), the fact that it's posting even anemic gains so quickly is noteworthy, where it's rustbelt counterparts are still posting regional declines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I haven’t been to Detroit, and don’t know anything about it, but I currently live in a city that undergoing a Renaissance that isn’t reflected by raw census numbers. Sometimes you really need to be on the ground to see it. If people in Detroit see their city becoming a better place, I’m not willing to argue that it isn’t happening.
I can understand that. I think the difference between Detroit and PGH is how much further Detroit fell, and how much area that decline covered. I think it will take good deal more time for the evidence of recovery to show to people not very familiar with the city. Right now most of the resurgence has been happening in Midtown, Downtown, and some of the immediate satellite neighborhoods, where as the vast neighborhoods in the city have been largely untouched by new investment. To realize the billions of investment to get the city even this far shows just how far it declined.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:09 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I think when you consider the economic malaise the Detroit region was stuck in from 02-2011 and that the region lost a couple hundred thousand residents during the great recession(and even more clout economically), the fact that it's posting even anemic gains so quickly is noteworthy, where it's rustbelt counterparts are still posting regional declines.

I can understand that. I think the difference between Detroit and PGH is how much further Detroit fell, and how much area that decline covered. I think it will take good deal more time for the evidence of recovery to show to people not very familiar with the city. Right now most of the resurgence has been happening in Midtown, Downtown, and some of the immediate satellite neighborhoods, where as the vast neighborhoods in the city have been largely untouched by new investment. To realize the billions of investment to get the city even this far shows just how far it declined.
I believe the majority of mid to large sized rust belt cities have started a rebound or have hit an inflection point on loss over the last seven or so years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City