Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 11:19 AM

235 posts, read 331,587 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed my moving options to Atlanta and Philadelphia. Both affordable large cities with lots going on. I'm hoping someone to speak to if the cities would be different in terms of gay dating for an early 30s professional white guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:19 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,780 times
Both are good for being a young gay professional. It depends on your lifestyle, do you prefer more suburban/less dense/newer then I would go with Atlanta. If you prefer a little more density/more urban/older than Philly would be better.

Personally I would go with Philadelphia because of being more dense with better transportation. The location is much better with access to the rest of the Northeast Corridor, which includes nearby DC and NYC.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:37 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Out of these two, I would recommend Atlanta but that's mainly due to the growth and direction of the area in comparison to Philadelphia.

Old 10-29-2017, 05:22 PM

235 posts, read 331,587 times
I think I like the urbanness of Philly better but I have more friends in the Atlanta area. My decision may come down to where I find a job first. I guess one question I have about Philly is weather the gay community is as large as Atlanta? Atlanta is the biggest gay hub in the South Atlantic. I wasn't sure if Philly pulls the same weight given D.C. and NYC are bigger draws nearby...

Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM

252 posts, read 234,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I think I like the urbanness of Philly better but I have more friends in the Atlanta area. My decision may come down to where I find a job first. I guess one question I have about Philly is weather the gay community is as large as Atlanta? Atlanta is the biggest gay hub in the South Atlantic. I wasn't sure if Philly pulls the same weight given D.C. and NYC are bigger draws nearby...
Well...we do have a neighborhood called the "gayborhood" with rainbow colored crosswalks. I can't answer to the scale of gay community in Atlanta but I do have gay friends/neighbors here in Philly who have a lot of gay community and seem to enjoy it here. They did comment how wonderful pride was in Atlanta..that it was "done right."

Old 10-30-2017, 02:27 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionlyused59 View Post
Well...we do have a neighborhood called the "gayborhood" with rainbow colored crosswalks.
As does Atlanta, at 10th & Piedmont. And Midtown Atlanta has been the Souths 'gayborhood' for decades.

Quote:
I can't answer to the scale of gay community in Atlanta but I do have gay friends/neighbors here in Philly who have a lot of gay community and seem to enjoy it here. They did comment how wonderful pride was in Atlanta..that it was "done right."
The scale is huge, it's one of the gayest Metro's in the Country. And Pride is done very well here, and routinely draws over 300,000 to the parade and festival every year.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/10/1...e-atlanta-2017

Old 10-30-2017, 03:46 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
If you prefer a real city, then Philadelphia. If you like cheap housing and hot weather, then Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:03 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
If you prefer a real city, then Philadelphia. If you like cheap housing and hot weather, then Atlanta.
Good Lord, could you be any more dismissive? As if that's all Atlanta has to offer.
Both cities offer plenty for a gay male. If you want a strong sense of history and heritage and better accessibility to the other cities in the BosWash corridor, go with Philadelphia. If you want better weather, more optimism for the future and a better overall attitude, go with Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:44 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
I've narrowed my moving options to Atlanta and Philadelphia. Both affordable large cities with lots going on. I'm hoping someone to speak to if the cities would be different in terms of gay dating for an early 30s professional white guy.
As a working professional you'll probably find Atlanta more amenable. While Philadelphia does have a "gayborhood" it's largely for show with some gay-owned businesses as the LGBT population has more/less dispersed over recent years due to societal integration like in most cities, but also because what constitutes "downtown Philadelphia" has a small fragment of the professional employers in the region thanks to the city's somewhat hostile business regulations and taxes. Much of the professional population works in areas outside the city center resulting in reverse commutes (to the suburbs), for those who still choose to live there. Atlanta has held on to it's in-town LGBT concentrations with areas like Midtown, Grant Park, Old Fourth Ward and East Atlanta holding down high density populations still close to employers in downtown, Midtown and Buckhead.

Old 10-30-2017, 08:42 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,664 times
Atlanta, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City