Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city you prefer San Jose or Boston?
Boston 165 77.46%
San Jose 48 22.54%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 05:29 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
I'm trying to understand how people can vote for San Jose.

I suppose the prevalence of high paying jobs in tech gives it an appeal to highly educated engineer types who like the norcal brand image, but living here is a whole other story.

The prohibitive expensiveness doesn't really get you much of an urban fabric (san francisco has that in spades though) whereas Boston is actually cheaper to live in according to most COL comparisons than San Jose, has a more 'real' city feel, has arguably a younger crowd thanks to all the schools in its vicinity, and has a fairly mature tech sector. I can see SF ousting Boston, but San Jose is just a joke in comparison...
Have you been to SJ? San Jose is 6th coolest cities in the country and 3rd best city to live. Night life is great and downtown is whatever you make of it. San Jose is de facto #1 tech hub of the world(Silicon Valley)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

I personally like Downtown SJ and its nightlife more than Boston's. It's a crossroad for all East Bay/Peninsula and Central Valley. They all come downtown to enjoy urban life. San Jose is a real and true city.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:34 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Have you been to SJ? San Jose is 6th coolest cities in the country and 3rd best city to live. Night life is great and downtown is whatever you make of it. San Jose is de facto #1 tech hub of the world(Silicon Valley)

Never been to San Jose. What do you mean by downtown is whatever you make of it?

Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Never been to San Jose. What do you mean by downtown is whatever you make of it?
Some people think is nothing special, and some people think there's no place like Downtown SJ because they feel it has everything you can want in an urban area: functioning arena, live music joints, museums, theaters, urban amenities, parks, neighborhoods, shopping, entertainment, cool arts, restaurants/bars and cafe's and transit. It also has 2 public markets similar to Quincy Market, too

Old 11-06-2017, 05:54 PM

765 posts, read 898,097 times
For me personally, I'd pick San Jose. It's proximity to San Francisco, it's climate, and topography are more of a draw to me than Boston's city element.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:24 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Criteria:

1. population - Boston
2. Diversity - San Jose
3. economy - San Jose
4. natural scenery - Boston (itself), San Jose (nearby)
5. weather - Boston
6. downtown - Boston
7. friendly people - San Jose (first 7 years), Boston (once you get used to it)
8. pretty girls - what, are we 13?
9. transportation - Boston
10.shopping - Boston
11.airport - Boston
12,nightlife - eh

I'll pick Boston until someone with more more money than sense decides to fund my startup. I know that we will deliver stuff in a box at regular intervals and that our company name will be a normal word spelled in a funny way. Right now I'm thinking KNTTR, which will change everything you thought you knew about yarn.

San Jose is one of the few places in the US where Boston is hands down more affordable, too.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:35 PM

54 posts, read 63,657 times
Quote:
I am currently living in San Jose. It's a huge letdown considering all the hype that's built up for the bay area. The only thing I really like is going to the top floor of the Martin Luther King library and looking at the hills through those binoculars.

The urban part is extremely tiny, especially for the city's massive population. The rent is insane, there are SO many homeless people everywhere, and I think Boston's nightlife is leagues ahead. It's just not an apt comparison.

Old 11-06-2017, 07:59 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,813 times
Quote:
Some people think is nothing special, and some people think there's no place like Downtown SJ because they feel it has everything you can want in an urban area: functioning arena, live music joints, museums, theaters, urban amenities, parks, neighborhoods, shopping, entertainment, cool arts, restaurants/bars and cafe's and transit. It also has 2 public markets similar to Quincy Market, too
That's weird because Quincy Market isn't a public market.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlizzardsAndSuch View Post
I am currently living in San Jose. It's a huge letdown considering all the hype that's built up for the bay area. The only thing I really like is going to the top floor of the Martin Luther King library and looking at the hills through those binoculars.

The urban part is extremely tiny, especially for the city's massive population. The rent is insane, there are SO many homeless people everywhere, and I think Boston's nightlife is leagues ahead. It's just not an apt comparison.
Come and enjoy the nightlife downtown! You don't apparently don't go downtown. What about Continental, Cafe Stritch, Paperplane, 55 South, District, SP2, Blush, Firehouse, Uproar and so on?https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClx...V_1hKl8CGd-Jjg

Tiny urban? Alameda, Midtown, Japantown, SJ Market Center, downtown/Little Italy and Naglee

Old 11-06-2017, 08:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 859,138 times
Not sure what population as criteria is referencing. More people, more density... Boston and inner surrounding cities get to San Jose's population in way less square mileage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City