Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 09:15 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,730,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
As much as people in Houston are obsessed with Chicago. On the Internet, people from Houston have an obsession with surpassing Chicago in population while people from Chicago have an obsession with bashing Houston. In real life, the vast majority of people in Chicago and the vast majority of people in Houston do not care about either thing.

Except Gaylord. I don't see any other Texans in this thread so serious about city populations between the two.
I live in Houston and give zero ****'s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 01:56 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default What city is obsessed....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
NYC's obsession with LA.

That rivalry goes both ways, and you're kidding yourself if you deny it.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Except Gaylord. I don't see any other Texans in this thread so serious about city populations between the two.
There must have been some MAJOR Texas boosters on this forum during the time that Gaylord first joined. Cause he's definitely still being haunted by those ghosts of City Data past...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Chicago is obsessed with Houston? Seriously?
Well, look at what your newspaper is coming up with:
Unoriginal 4th place Houston gets its own bean sculpture... whatever - Chicago Tribune
Dear Houston: Enjoy your 'leftover, second-rate' bean. Chicago is still the better city. - Chicago Tribune
Houston, Chicago's newfound nemesis, is outdrinking the Windy City when it comes to beer - Chicago Tribune

Old 06-01-2018, 03:05 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default What city...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
There's a fair amount of shade thrown at Atlanta from Charlotte, Nashville, and Birmingham that isn't reciprocated.

Exactly! And it was far worse a few decades ago when those lower tier cities were much smaller & still extremely provincial as compared to Atlanta.
As it happens, I've had a couple of posters on the Atlanta forum who are originally from Carolina or elsewhere, jump all over me & or disbelieve my descriptions of the major shade I received from my Charltotte friends & acquaintances early on after moving to Atlanta in 1979.
The 2 particular posters I'm thinking of, in so many words called me a "liar". My reaction was that it was odd that they presumed to know & then doubt what I experienced given that at least one of them was so much younger than me so as to have either been a small child or not even born when I had those experiences with Charlotteans & shade.
I was and still am reminded of the phrase, "Walk a mile in my shoes."

Old 06-01-2018, 05:18 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times
Wow, so many of the posts, or better yet the responses to them, play right into what I’m about to say.

I can only go off of cities I’m familiar with. Ones that I’ve lived in, visited many times, gone to their sporting events and bars, and engaged with all walks of life while there, or have family living there. I also own a business where I meet people from all over the country.

Boston vs New York. It was inferiority filled with hatred, NY never cared. Once Boston starting winning championships it was superiority filled with and hatred. NY still doesn’t care. NY will never care about what others think about them.

LA vs NY, or NY vs LA, however you want to look at it. Most don’t even realize how much these two cities are connected. I found most aren’t really concerned with the other. All I can say is I’ve experienced more New Yorkers talk down on LA than the other way around. I think a lot of this is because so many go to Florida over California, and it’s out of ignorance. I also know more New Yorkers that have moved to LA than the other way around, for whatever that is worth.

Detroit vs Chicago. Detroit needs to focus on Cleveland, a city that they can be superior over. Chicago doesn’t care.

Chicago vs NY, LA and everywhere else. No people believe their city is the center of the universe more than the citizens of Chicago. It’s actually hard to stomach. Maybe if they were on the coast people would take notice. Biggest homers you’ll meet, nice people, just tremendous homers.

San Francisco vs LA. You can actually make this NorCal vs SoCal. The city and and entire Bay Area loves to hate on the lower half, while LA, and San Diego for that matter, usually have nothing but nice things to say. and could care less, the latter only opens the floodgates more. I’ve experienced this so much in my life with family and friends it’s not even really up for debate.

San Diego vs LA. This is a weird one because the vast majority really doesn’t care, on both sides. San Diegans will hate on LA mostly for traffic and smog when having/choosing to go there. You can also maybe throw in having taken our NBA and NFL teams. Although I believe they gladly give them both back, and once again most don’t care. LA sees us as the little brother they like to visit and relax with from time to time.

Phoenix vs San Diego. So many come so often to visit and love it so much, that they’ll reference themselves almost as a exurb. When they’re not given the time of day, or people don’t think Phoenix is cool, they’ll try to make arguments about how they’re better. I guess this is to be expected.

Sacramento vs San Francisco. They think they’re closer to them than they are in reality, almost a suburb. I noticed this 20-30 years ago visiting family. I hear it non stop from people that used to live there how it’s got this, or doing that now, often making comparisons to San Francisco. This is only getting worse as more people move out that way because of housing costs.

San Jose vs San Francisco. I’ve never really noticed this until the most recent tech boom. You saw a little back on the late 90’s, but now you have them thinking they’re on par or even better. This is laughable

Portland vs Seattle. See previous statement. Everyone I meet from Portland thinks they’re the capital of the Pacific Northwest, heck even the west coast sometimes. All my family in Seattle don’t even acknowledge this, nor should they.

I can’t really comment on rivals amongst other cities, but I can throw out other cities that think the world revolves around them, but I’ve probaly angered enough for one day.

Granted this isn’t scientific data, just observations I’ve made over my 42 years, doing lots of traveling, and always picking someone’s brain when I meet them. I’ve done my best to weed through all the opionions I’ve received, and not just from the obvious homers, when making these generalizations.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:32 PM

132 posts, read 95,045 times
Los Angeles vs San Fran.

As mentioned by this writer..

Los Angeles, Houston and the appeal of the hard-to-read city

Old 06-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Though I've only been to the airports in Texas, Dallas-Houston seems pretty similar to San Francisco-Los Angeles. One city in one region of the state that likes to talk big about how great and important it is, while another city sits quietly in another region of the state, being bigger, more important, and more influential without saying anything.
Weird how both states are so similar in some ways.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Jersey does have negative reputation
I've never been to the northeast. But when I think of Jersey, I think of italian guidos and parties lol

Old 06-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
The funniest part about this are the awkward, forced "SF is like NYC" comparisons (made only by SFers, not NYers). Definitely speaks to an inferiority complex.
When I lived in Cali I always felt out of place in SF. I'm Hispanic. Los Angeles feels more welcoming lol

Old 06-01-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Houston with Chicago?
Not really. We recently had a small dispute over bean sculptures.

But trust me, Chicago is one of a kind. HUGE DT.

Us here in Houston respect chitown for it's place in American history.

We took the rivalry as a joke..

Houston and Dallas? That's a different story lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City