Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post
Totally agree. South Jersey is nice if you are looking for more land/want to be in a townhome community with amenities like a pool/tennis court for a lower price, and does have good access to Philly. However towns like Montclair, Ridgewood, Westwood, Cranford, Verona, Montvale, etc. all have good character/walkable downtowns to them. Gotta love jersey tho!

there are a few good walkable S Jersey DTs

Moorestown, Haddonfield etc.

more in N Jersey though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 11:21 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
It is. And then you go to Pittsburgh, and it's actually an extremely green, thriving, med/tech city with a lot of charm. The reputation of the people would lead you to believe that it's just another forgotten "rust belt" city.

So, while the people don't have a bad reputation, I don't think it fits Pittsburgh like it should.

Gotcha, so not that we have a bad reputation, it's probably just outdated. However even back in the 1940's the old Pittsburghers enacted clean air regulations and really cleaned up the city.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:26 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Gotcha, so not that we have a bad reputation, it's probably just outdated. However even back in the 1940's the old Pittsburghers enacted clean air regulations and really cleaned up the city.
Right, and to be fair, it's come a long way. It will continue to do so- It's really "on the map" in the last five years.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I'm guilty of this, but I don't give some areas a fair shake based on the reputation of the people. Or, when I do visit an area, the likeability is skewed based on the folks I meet.

So, which areas suffer the most from the perception of their populous? Adversely, which areas get a huge lift from their inhabitants?

Maybe New Jersey? Maybe the Pittsburgh area? Maybe the broader Southeast?

What does everyone think?
Chicago for obvious reasons. As far as the southeast or south in general with texas included is booming.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:18 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Chicago for obvious reasons. As far as the southeast or south in general with texas included is booming.
Please explain the "obvious" reasons. Otherwise, your post sounds like a bias.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:25 PM

1,022 posts, read 773,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Chicago people seems to have the best reputation as being known as the friendliest

Old 01-25-2018, 04:18 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow...I have never heard of any of what you are talking about. I have head NJ is a garbage pit lol.
I have been there once and to be honest, it wasn't very pretty. But that was outside the airport so that's probably why. But I obviously haven't seen it enough to make a valid opinion. So thanks for sharing yours.
Now, im a sucker for accents. I love the accents most people dislike. Love Boston and NYC accents.
persons from new jersey, particularly jersey giris would rarely consider another place to live.

persons from outside of new jersey would likely not randomly decide to go there.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:25 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Add to this the "Real Housewives of New Jersey", really pathetic people. It's just a Bravo reality show and in no way reflects most of the population BUT it certainly doesn't help in reducing negative New Jersey stereotypes. I live in an area of Virginia where a lot of NJ/NY transplants have settled. They have a raucous sense of humor, are very honest and blunt and nine times out of ten extremly enjoyable to be around, so refreshingly different from the bland, blond, terminally hip PC drones of my native California.
jersey shore
real housewiives of new jersey
jerseyliscious
jersey coutore

all were practically the same show (with their boisterous orange skin color snooki lead charector).

Old 01-25-2018, 05:07 PM

239 posts, read 231,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
except for people in n.y.c. or philly. i never visit my friends over the bridge; theres way more stuff to do over here.
But people move to NJ to live in the suburbs with a better QOL. Your response defeats the purpose of mentioning that part. The point is: many people want to live somewhere calmer, wealthier, and with better schools. NJ is that place. Also, don’t forget about the abundance of great jobs in suburban Jersey. It is easier than commuting to the city, and office parks fuel many of the wealthy suburbs in Jersey.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:16 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow...I have never heard of any of what you are talking about. I have head NJ is a garbage pit lol.
I have been there once and to be honest, it wasn't very pretty. But that was outside the airport so that's probably why. But I obviously haven't seen it enough to make a valid opinion. So thanks for sharing yours.
Now, im a sucker for accents. I love the accents most people dislike. Love Boston and NYC accents.
New Jersey has nice areas and not so nice areas. There are some areas that are really wealthy, amongst the top in the country, and other areas that are not even close to well off. Not that different from anywhere else - at least major metro areas I'm talking about, but maybe some places in New Jersey are slightly more amplified than average.

I have a lot of coworkers who live in New Jersey close to NYC and they don't particularly rave about it, though they don't hate it either. My mom is originally from NJ right outside of NYC - it's funny hearing her talk about it. She is not fond of the place at all, though when she grew up, it was a lot more dangerous in some of the cities than it is today. I think that parts of Jersey City are OK and Hoboken can be nice (though the nightlife on a few stretches is really annoying there). Union City is OK too - connectivity to Manhattan from there is good. Further out you go, you can still get to Manhattan but it's a little more sporadic than being directly across the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City