Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:15 AM

32,112 posts, read 34,732,040 times

Advertisements

Some people say Washington, DC is the North, others say it's the Mid-Atlantic, some say it's the South.

Some people say Miami's in the South, others say the Caribbean, some say it's too different to be categorized.

Dallas and Houston are southern or southwestern or both, depending upon whom you ask.

Pittsburgh doesn't seem to know where it fits in.

And recently, I had a friend tell me that St. Louis is not a part of the Midwest. I find this hard to believe considering that she considers Illinois (where E. St. Louis is located) to be in the Midwest.

So, which cities are suffering the most from a regional identity crisis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:27 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Cincinnati, St. Louis, Kansas City, Washington D.C. all straddle regional lines.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:31 AM

976 posts, read 2,243,872 times
st. louis, cincinnati, baltimore, washington and philadelphia are all northern-flavored cities that have southern influences. growing up in philadelphia, the term "upsouth" was often used to describe the city's southern characteristics.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis, cincinnati, baltimore, washington and philadelphia are all northern-flavored cities that have southern influences. growing up in philadelphia, the term "upsouth" was often used to describe the city's southern characteristics.
I agree, with this to a degree. The people who reside within Philly's ghettos definitley have somewhat of a downsouth vibe, but the affluent neighborhoods and suburbs are very Mid-Atlantic with no southern feel whatsoever. DC, St. Louis, Cinncy, and Bmore have southern influences throughout, but are definitley not southern.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
I agree, with this to a degree. The people who reside within Philly's ghettos definitley have somewhat of a downsouth vibe, but the affluent neighborhoods and suburbs are very Mid-Atlantic with no southern feel whatsoever. DC, St. Louis, Cinncy, and Bmore have southern influences throughout, but are definitley not southern.
Hmm...I was born in Lankenau Hospital...lived in the city of Philadelphia my entire childhood, attending its public schools and all....and I have never ever heard anyone refer to Philly as the "Upsouth." If anything, I would call it the "South of the North" and Washington, DC the "North of the South."

Philly has about as much southern influence as Harlem. It has more than Boston and decidedly less than DC, Baltimore, and Cincinatti. American blacks will obviously have southern influences wherever they are, but the difference between Philly/NYC, and Baltimore/DC is that whites in the former have never suffered from regional identity confusion. Personally, I think of myself as a northerner, and not someone from the Mid-Atlantic, though historically PA was considered one of the middle states/colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Colonies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Colonies

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Hmm...I was born in Lankenau Hospital...lived in the city of Philadelphia my entire childhood, attending its public schools and all....and I have never ever heard anyone refer to Philly as the "Upsouth." If anything, I would call it the "South of the North" and Washington, DC the "North of the South."

Philly has about as much southern influence as Harlem. It has more than Boston and decidedly less than DC, Baltimore, and Cincinatti. American blacks will obviously have southern influences wherever they are, but the difference between Philly/NYC, and Baltimore/DC is that whites in the former have never suffered from regional identity confusion. Personally, I think of myself as a northerner, and not someone from the Mid-Atlantic, though historically PA was considered one of the middle states/colonies.

Middle Colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern Colonies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The North= Mid-Atlantic + New England

Philly public schools.....smh.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:37 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,944,235 times
Cincinnati and St Louis are incredibly similar in many ways - including southern influence. I think of Cincinnati's people as 70% midwest and 20% appalachian and 10% southern. physically and in terms of urban form, the city has more in common with older east coast cities than any in the south or midwest.

The midwest borders, IMO are Lincoln to the west, Pittsburgh to the east, Cincinnati and St Louis to the south, and Minneapolis to the north

Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The North= Mid-Atlantic + New England

Philly public schools.....smh.
In modern-day parlance, Mid-Atlantic is generally a reference to states below the Mason-Dixon line that do not wish to be defiled by any association with the South. This would include Delaware, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Northern Virginia. Historically, yes, Pennsylvania and New York were "Mid-Atlantic" states, but the historical application of the term should not be confused with the modern-day one. "Mid-Atlantic" is commonly understood to mean the DC/NOVA/Chesapeake Bay Region. I suspect you understood this already, but in characteristic fashion of bratty children growing up in the suburban safe haven of Montgomery County, you were unable to restrain your pedanticism.

By the way, isn't Montgomery County the place where SWPLs go who are fearful that their kids won't/can't get accepted to Central and Masterman?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In modern-day parlance, Mid-Atlantic is generally a reference to states below the Mason-Dixon line that do not wish to be defiled by any association with the South. This would include Delaware, Maryland, the District of Columbia, and Northern Virginia. Historically, yes, Pennsylvania and New York were "Mid-Atlantic" states, but the historical application of the term should not be confused with the modern-day one. "Mid-Atlantic" is commonly understood to mean the DC/NOVA/Chesapeake Bay Region. I suspect you understood this already, but in characteristic fashion of bratty children growing up in the suburban safe haven of Montgomery County, you were unable to restrain your pedanticism.

By the way, isn't Montgomery County the place where SWPLs go who are fearful that their kids won't get accepted to Central and Masterman?
Aright gangsta.

Why would you wanna stay around those poor uneducated bums in the city? They are beneath me in alot of ways. The QOL in Montco is far better than the QOL in 90% of Philly, how is that a bad thing?. I don't even like to tell people its my city of birth, because I don't want to ppl to associate me with the riff raff. I've attended rough school districts(Norristown and Pennsauken) and you and I both know, its worth working hard to avoid having to send your kid to some ghetto school. Anybody who loves their kid would much rather send them to Lower Merion, than King.

Anyway Mid-Atlantic= Nova to NYC.

Your ppl Jamaican? Cuz I remeber you said you were from Ogontz. I used live at Ogontz and Andrews, among many other places in the city and region.

and WTF is SWPLs?

Last edited by killakoolaide; 09-13-2010 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Aright gangsta.

Why would you wanna stay around those poor uneducated bums in the city? They are beneath me in alot of ways. The QOL in Montco is far better than the QOL in 90% of Philly, how is that a bad thing?. I don't even like to tell people its my city of birth, because I don't want to ppl to associate me with the riff raff. I've attended rough school districts(Norristown and Pennsauken) and you and I both know, its worth working hard to avoid having to send your kid to some ghetto school. Anybody who loves their kid would much rather send them to Lower Merion, than King.

Anyway Mid-Atlantic= Nova to NYC.

Your ppl Jamaican? Cuz I remeber you said you were from Ogontz. I used live at Ogontz and Andrews, among many other places in the city and region.
That's Mr. Gangsta to you, buddy!

Again, Northern Virginia is not considered the "North." And in the present day, the Mid-Atlantic is principally considered to be the Chesapeake Bay Region, with a few exceptions, though the region is not subject to precise definition. From the Wiki page:

There are differing interpretations as to the composition of the Mid-Atlantic. Sometimes, the nucleus is considered to consist of Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia, with additional states possibly included.[5] Other sources consider New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania to be the core Mid-Atlantic states, with others sometimes included.[6] For example, since the 1910 census, the Mid-Atlantic Census Division has included New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania, which combined with the New England Division, comprised the Northeast Census Region.

"Mid-Atlantic" is more of a ploy by Marylanders and Virginians, than anything else, to divorce themselves from the stigma of the American South.

I'm not Jamaican. I take it flattery is not one of your strong suits. And I never said that I lived off Ogontz. I grew up in Germantown, and as anyone from the Delph would know, Ogontz is not Germantown. It's West Oak Lane.

I don't have a problem with suburban kids. I had friends from HS who lived off the main line, and oddly enough, used city addresses to attend Masterman and Central. However, I do have a problem with suburbanites who talk down to actual Philadelphians, and then boost the city in online chat forums. That is more than just a little annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City