Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times

Advertisements

Many people in the city propers around the country have easy access to rail transit when they leave the bars or clubs on a Friday or Saturday. Transportation is more of a regional issue now though moving into the 21st century. Drinking and driving is a true problem and cities need to think about ways to fight this growing problem.

What cities provide the best rail transit for their region when people leave the clubs and bars after a night on the town beyond city propers? What cities offer a quick rail mass transit ride home into the suburbs? How late does transit run into the suburbs in those regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Many people in the city propers around the country have easy access to rail transit when they leave the bars or clubs on a Friday or Saturday. Transportation is more of a regional issue now though moving into the 21st century. Drinking and driving is a true problem and cities need to think about ways to fight this growing problem.

What cities provide the best rail transit for their region when people leave the clubs and bars after a night on the town beyond city propers? What cities offer a quick rail mass transit ride home into the suburbs? How late does transit run into the suburbs in those regions?
pretty sure NYC is the undisputed king of getting people home after a night of drinking with public transportation. A subway grid so large that runs 24 hours a day. it can't be beat. period.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:07 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,064 times
Either New York or Chicago since both cities have transit systems that run 24/7.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
pretty sure NYC is the undisputed king of getting people home after a night of drinking with public transportation. A subway grid so large that runs 24 hours a day. it can't be beat. period.
The city proper of NYC is great. But the suburbs don't have that option. If people in the suburbs want to come into New York and drink and have a good time, they can't take the train home. The last commuter trains leave around 1:30 a.m. People have to find other extremly expensive means of transportation or they do what we are trying to avoid and drive. It's a very serious problem and should really be tackled around the country. Washington DC is the only city that provides rail transit into the suburbs late into the night after 3:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and I think a push for all systems to start doing it would be a great cause.

I think providing late night trains to at least 3:00 a.m.out of NYC if not later into the suburbs where most people in the region live would do a great deal for regional transit in New York. Drinking and driving is serious and I have many friends who have been effected by it. Nothing to play around with. I know many people think they are ok to drive but you can never be to careful. We have all been in a situation where we know we should say something to a friend. Hopefully you did.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:31 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
The city proper of NYC is great. But the suburbs don't have that option. If people in the suburbs want to come into New York and drink and have a good time, they can't take the train home. The last commuter trains leave around 1:30 a.m. People have to find other extremly expensive means of transportation or they do what we are trying to avoid and drive. It's a very serious problem and should really be tackled around the country. Washington DC is the only city that provides rail transit into the suburbs late into the night after 3:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and I think a push for all systems to start doing it would be a great cause.

I think providing late night trains to at least 3:00 a.m.out of NYC if not later into the suburbs where most people in the region live would do a great deal for regional transit in New York. Drinking and driving is serious and I have many friends who have been effected by it. Nothing to play around with. I know many people think they are ok to drive but you can never be to careful. We have all been in a situation where we know we should say something to a friend. Hopefully you did.

I think some lines do have late night service, however there is like 1 hour - 90 min gaps between those 2am - 5am trains. I know thats the case on LIRR, not sure about Metro North. Metro North runs until 2am I think.

I don't think Metra in Chicago is 24/7 either.

Last edited by Gantz; 09-26-2011 at 12:43 PM..

Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
NYC and Chicago are good. San Francisco OWL service has been incredibly useful too.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:39 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I think some lines do have late night service, however there is like 1 hour - 90 min gaps between those 2am - 5am trains. I know thats the case on LIRR, not sure about Metro North. Metro North runs until 2am I think.
Thats cool. I spent last New Years' in NYC. Being from out of town and catching a 5:30 am bus, I decided to wait it out in Penn Station. To my disgust, it was packed to the brim with Drunk New Jersey folks throwing up and sleeping everywhere. I thought maybe there would be some other people, but good grief! Hourly service definitely would have helped.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Thats cool. I spent last New Years' in NYC. Being from out of town and catching a 5:30 am bus, I decided to wait it out in Penn Station. To my disgust, it was packed to the brim with Drunk New Jersey folks throwing up and sleeping everywhere. I thought maybe there would be some other people, but good grief! Hourly service definitely would have helped.

NJT and Penn can get bad with Jersey drunks

learned that at a young age. The good thing about NY is that you can stay out till long after the trains start running again

Old 09-26-2011, 12:52 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
NJT and Penn can get bad with Jersey drunks

learned that at a young age. The good thing about NY is that you can stay out till long after the trains start running again
Or you can go to Hoboken. PATH is a 24/7 train just like NYC subway.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,951,013 times
Quote:
Part of this is because the city limits of DC are tiny compared to NYC (or Chicago). Somebody taking the metro to Bethesda or East Falls or Silver Spring would still be within NYC city limits. So your example isnt really a fair comparison. PATH (also 24/7) takes thousands of people into New Jersey every night.
Also keep in mind taxis (which im more likely to take late at night) are far more convenient in NYC late at night, good luck getting a DC cab driver to take you to Bethesda or far flung parts of Arlington.

All trains in NYC run 24/7, Chicago has 2 lines that run 24/7. DC has zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City