Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,706,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The Silver Line will go 40 miles from DC and it opens in 2013. So we are discussing cities that are 40 miles from DC and 40 miles from NYC. The fact of the matter is that new subway systems that travel into the suburbs are more efficient in the 21st century than older pre-suburbanization designed subways. The smart growth designs of the present and future benefit from the newer transit infrastructure.
This has nothing to do with design... if they wanted to make Metro North 24/7 they could. There are no technical showstoppers. The ridership is probably not there. And making NJT 24/7 is priority for the state of New Jersey, NYC has nothing to do with it. I'd like to add that DC equivalents to the systems we are discussing here (MARC and VRE) are so far behind NYC's equivalents that you guys don't even bring them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,950,312 times
Quote:
The Silver Line will go 40 miles from DC and it opens in 2013. So we are discussing cities that are 40 miles from DC and 40 miles from NYC. The fact of the matter is that new subway systems that travel into the suburbs are more efficient in the 21st century than older pre-suburbanization designed subways. The smart growth designs of the present and future benefit from the newer transit infrastructure.
Dulles airport is NOT 40 miles from DC, its more like 27-30. Anyway, who is taking the Silver Line to the Airport in the middle of the night anyway after drinking?!

my issue is unless you live walking distance from the train station in the suburbs (regardless of city), you most likely will still need to drive. The Silver Line stop in Reston, which is at Wiehle and VA267 isnt really near any residential areas. Its about 1.5 miles away from the Reston Town Center which has a majority of the jobs in the area. Who is really going to use that for late night rides back to the suburbs? Same with NYC, I would never sit on a train for 40 miles to get back to Long Island; make a friend who lives in the City or take a taxi.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:23 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,156,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
The DC Metro runs every 15 min or so when it is in service. If you are out til 5 am you are S.O.L.

The Metro is a terrific system, but comparing it to the NY Subway is silly.
Dude, you know the metro runs every 2 to 3 minutes at rush hour right. I thought you said you have been to DC?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,748,530 times
Quote:
Dulles airport is NOT 40 miles from DC, its more like 27-30. Anyway, who is taking the Silver Line to the Airport in the middle of the night anyway after drinking?!

my issue is unless you live walking distance from the train station in the suburbs (regardless of city), you most likely will still need to drive. The Silver Line stop in Reston, which is at Wiehle and VA267 isnt really near any residential areas. Its about 1.5 miles away from the Reston Town Center which has a majority of the jobs in the area. Who is really going to use that for late night rides back to the suburbs? Same with NYC, I would never sit on a train for 40 miles to get back to Long Island; make a friend who lives in the City or take a taxi.
People take the train now from the terminus stations. Do you know how hard it is to find parking in DC? Do you know how expensive it would be to take a cab to the terminus of the silverline out in Loudon county? People take the train because its easier. Also, if you do have to drive once you get off the train, its not that far and you probably sobered up a bit by then. It cost $2.75 to get the terminus stations of the DC metro. It cost 3-4 times more than that on commuter rail in NYC suburbs.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dude, you know the metro runs every 2 to 3 minutes at rush hour right. I thought you said you have been to DC?
Late at night. I never mentioned rush hour. Read the post I quoted.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
People take the train now from the terminus stations. Do you know how hard it is to find parking in DC? Do you know how expensive it would be to take a cab to the terminus of the silverline out in Loudon county? People take the train because its easier. Also, if you do have to drive once you get off the train, its not that far and you probably sobered up a bit by then. It cost $2.75 to get the terminus stations of the DC metro. It cost 3-4 times more than that on commuter rail in NYC suburbs.
I have no doubt people do that, but the vast majority of people taking the Metro to the suburbs are not driving to the terminus just to park. Somebody living in Bethesda will drive up to Shady Grove to Park? that is nonsense.

How many people arriving into DC are coming from Loudon County? I would guarantee the vast majority of people coming into DC are from Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Southern MoCo.

How do you know "its not that far and you probably sobered up a bit by then"? How do you know where people live and how much they drank? That is a ridiculous statement and contradicts your entire premise.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:

Agree and regardless of the location or form this is a higher percentage than those living in close proximity on nearly all farther afield destinations.

Also NONE of these systems are designed with ability to cart drunks home as remotely even close to main design element.

My parents used to live off Wiehle closer to baron Cameron and while the Silver Line will be an exceptional addition I would be hard [ressed to see how this may would have helped all that much in going out and walking from this station to that location as one example. The same holds true on say an NJT or LIRR line - a fraction of the population is walkable to the train stations

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree and regardless of the location or form this is a higher percentage than those living in close proximity on nearly all farther afield destinations.

Also NONE of these systems are designed with ability to cart drunks home as remotely even close to main design element.

My parents used to live off Wiehle closer to baron Cameron and while the Silver Line will be an exceptional addition I would be hard [ressed to see how this may would have helped all that much in going out and walking from this station to that location as one example. The same holds true on say an NJT or LIRR line - a fraction of the population is walkable to the train stations
I have friends in the DC area who work at Oracle in Reston (Which is at Reston Parkway and Sunrise), and even that walk from the Reston Silver Line Stop is a hike. I can't picture a bunch of White Collar Workers leaving their BMW's at home to walk 1 mile from the station to their office (or waiting for some shuttle bus)

Old 10-05-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I have no doubt people do that, but the vast majority of people taking the Metro to the suburbs are not driving to the terminus just to park. Somebody living in Bethesda will drive up to Shady Grove to Park? that is nonsense.

How many people arriving into DC are coming from Loudon County? I would guarantee the vast majority of people coming into DC are from Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Southern MoCo.

How do you know "its not that far and you probably sobered up a bit by then"? How do you know where people live and how much they drank? That is a ridiculous statement and contradicts your entire premise.
My only point is give people the option. Give people a choice. It is all in the public good at the end of the day. If someone chooses not to take the train into the city, that is their choice. At least allow them the option though by running trains late into the night at a frequency that is convenient and comparable to the comfort of their own car or Taxi with a cheaper price incentive.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I have friends in the DC area who work at Oracle in Reston (Which is at Reston Parkway and Sunrise), and even that walk from the Reston Silver Line Stop is a hike. I can't picture a bunch of White Collar Workers leaving their BMW's at home to walk 1 mile from the station to their office (or waiting for some shuttle bus)
The development is filling in at all silver line stations to existing job and residential center's as we speak. The massive amount of development at the silver line stations going on or about to start can't be compared to the experience people have had in the past in Virginia. The area is changing and smart growth has finally arrived in Virginia which is by far the most sprawled out part of the DMV. Bus lines, new highrise residential development, great streets projects etc. are the Virginia the silver line will embrace. Reston Town Center etc. all have projects right not that bring the development all the way to the station. If you are interested in the silver line and development around the stations, this site has everything you would want to know about DC development. DCmud - The Urban Real Estate Digest of Washington DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City