Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I understand what you are trying to say but at least get your facts right homey. Metro Center to Gaithersburg is 27 miles. The East Village to City Island is 18 miles at best. Metro Center to Vienna is a better comparison.
Silver Line opens in 2013 which will go clear to Loudon County. That is like 38 miles from DC and the area will have Metro frequency. The last train will pull to the end of the Silver Line I estimate at around 4:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Will do wonders for the Tyson's Corner/Reston/Dulles/Loudon Corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Your letting municiple boundries get in the way...Lets say one wants to take the Red Line home after a night of drinking from Metro Center to Gaithersburg, that is a distance of 20 miles, and about as far as the Metro extends out. They can get home no problem.

Now, lets say a New Yorker, who is out drinking in the East Village, needs to get back to Pelham Bay Park in the Bronx, they can take the 6 train that runs 24/7 back home, that is also a distance of 20 miles, but yet they would never leave the limits of NYC.

Getting out to Jamaica or Far Rockaway (both in NYC city limits) is about the same distance as Metro Center to Gaithersburg (or anywhere on the Orange Line).
No, Gaithersburg is 20 miles from the DC line. Metro Center is downtown which is much farther than 20 miles from Gaithersburg. Gaithersburg is about to get Lightrail (Corridor Cities Transitway) anyway so that should help that area even more with the option to get out of their cars.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Silver Line opens in 2013 which will go clear to Loudon County. That is like 38 miles from DC and the area will have Metro frequency. The last train will pull to the end of the Silver Line I estimate at around 4:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays. Will do wonders for the Tyson's Corner/Reston/Dulles/Loudon Corridor.

So would this be helpful is you live at say Wiehle and Baron Cameron?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So would this be helpful is you live at say Wiehle and Baron Cameron?
I don't know where Barton Cameron is but there is a station at Wiehle.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I don't know where Barton Cameron is but there is a station at Wiehle.
About 1/4 mile from Reston Parkway

Old 09-30-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
About 1/4 mile from Reston Parkway
I don't know. They are doing a ton of construction around future Silver Line stops right now. Almost every single stop has tons of high rises under construction. I just checked the location Barton Cameron. The Silver Line will be around Reston Town Center and the Northern Virginia Community College at Wiehle Ave. The parking lots are all being developed into highrises.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
I don't know. They are doing a ton of construction around future Silver Line stops right now. Almost every single stop has tons of high rises under construction. I don't know much about the area you are speaking of but if it's near a station, it should be great for those people.

It is relatively close but probably a bit far to walk.

FWIW I think all the TOD is great in DC (NOVA and the MD side) but just because the rail goes there are many folks that cant benefit.

The best use of the Silver line though is not the ability to get drunks home in the wee hours it is to link and provide better transit (mostly commuting options) the silver line would take what close to 50 or so minutes to get out to Loudon/Sterling?

Here is the intersection
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=reston...303.65,,0,1.83

Old 09-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
It is relatively close but probably a bit far to walk.

FWIW I think all the TOD is great in DC (NOVA and the MD side) but just because the rail goes there are many folks that cant benefit.

The best use of the Silver line though is not the ability to get drunks home in the wee hours it is to link and provide better transit (mostly commuting options) the silver line would take what close to 50 or so minutes to get out to Loudon/Sterling?

Here is the intersection
reston va - Google Maps
No, the Silver Line will be at Wiehle Ave. where Northern Virginia Community College is and Reston Town Center. Those are the area's seeing the New urbanism villages under construction. Barton won't be that close to the station so they would have to drive to it. The Silver Line is only being built to Urbanize Tyson's Corner and to get Rail to Dulles. It is way overdue too. Now all three airports will have rail connections.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
The city proper of NYC is great. But the suburbs don't have that option. If people in the suburbs want to come into New York and drink and have a good time, they can't take the train home. The last commuter trains leave around 1:30 a.m. People have to find other extremly expensive means of transportation or they do what we are trying to avoid and drive. It's a very serious problem and should really be tackled around the country. Washington DC is the only city that provides rail transit into the suburbs late into the night after 3:00 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays and I think a push for all systems to start doing it would be a great cause.

I think providing late night trains to at least 3:00 a.m.out of NYC if not later into the suburbs where most people in the region live would do a great deal for regional transit in New York. Drinking and driving is serious and I have many friends who have been effected by it. Nothing to play around with. I know many people think they are ok to drive but you can never be to careful. We have all been in a situation where we know we should say something to a friend. Hopefully you did.
Depends on the suburb. The suburb of NYC I grew up in had several trains in the middle of the night. There's a 4 am & 1:40 train on weekends , and on weekdays the train runs every 1.5 hours or so. It was 36 miles away from the city center. I dunno how DC could compare well with NYC since DC doesn't even have commuter trains that run past commute hours, so only those in the inner suburbs with metro access can take a late night train.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depends on the suburb. The suburb of NYC I grew up in had several trains in the middle of the night. There's a 4 am & 1:40 train on weekends , and on weekdays the train runs every 1.5 hours or so. It was 36 miles away from the city center. I dunno how DC could compare well with NYC since DC doesn't even have commuter trains that run past commute hours, so only those in the inner suburbs with metro access can take a late night train.
That is true. People in the exurbs don't have access to the train late night. Marc and VRE definitely suck for places 40-50 miles away from DC. I don't know if there is enough demand to run VRE and Marc with frequency that high though. DC doesn't have 20 million people for commuter rail way out to the exurbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City