Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Or you can go to Hoboken. PATH is a 24/7 train just like NYC subway.

works well if you live in Hoboken. My experience was from many years ago when I lived in Bucks county PA (train out of Trenton)

When I lived in Boken it was never an issue, though many times took a cab but sometimes cabs didnt want to take the tunnels. Regardless path doent really help someone say going to Rutgers and trying to get to New Brunswick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:19 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Part of this is because the city limits of DC are tiny compared to NYC (or Chicago). Somebody taking the metro to Bethesda or East Falls or Silver Spring would still be within NYC city limits. So your example isnt really a fair comparison. PATH (also 24/7) takes thousands of people into New Jersey every night.
Also keep in mind taxis (which im more likely to take late at night) are far more convenient in NYC late at night, good luck getting a DC cab driver to take you to Bethesda or far flung parts of Arlington.

All trains in NYC run 24/7, Chicago has 2 lines that run 24/7. DC has zero.
That is very true about the cabs in DC. Md and Va have their own cabs so they normally come into the district to pick you up. Most people take the metro if they live in the suburbs rather than a cab though. The last train comes through Adams Morgan around 3:20 a.m. so it works out better anyway.

I just think transit systems around the country should think about the benefit of late night trains on weekends for people in the suburbs. People make very irresponsible decisions even when there is a transit alternative but at least have that alternative. If the communities get involved to make a push for service at least on Friday and Saturday, things could change everywhere. Heavy Rail, Commuter Trains, Lightrail, Streetcars could all provide this service. Whatever system each city has could save lives by extending service. Many people try to avoid the high cab costs and just drive which is plain stupid and irresponsible. As a country, we can work together to help our citizens have a good time out but a responsible outing as well.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
works well if you live in Hoboken. My experience was from many years ago when I lived in Bucks county PA (train out of Trenton)

When I lived in Boken it was never an issue, though many times took a cab but sometimes cabs didnt want to take the tunnels. Regardless path doent really help someone say going to Rutgers and trying to get to New Brunswick
*Shrug* Back when I lived in New Brunswick, we'd stay out at the clubs til 4 AM, go to a diner, and then take the 5:14 AM NEC train. It was a pretty good routine.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
*Shrug* Back when I lived in New Brunswick, we'd stay out at the clubs til 4 AM, go to a diner, and then take the 5:14 AM NEC train. It was a pretty good routine.

Have done that as well, though many years ago These days would just stay in the city

Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Very good plan. I hope most people do that.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:27 PM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
South Jersey 24 hour Patco trains in and out of Philadelphia.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:32 PM

72 posts, read 178,711 times
Based on transit I have actually taken at 3am across America, NY and Chi are the only cities that run 24x7.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
That is very true about the cabs in DC. Md and Va have their own cabs so they normally come into the district to pick you up. Most people take the metro if they live in the suburbs rather than a cab though. The last train comes through Adams Morgan around 3:20 a.m. so it works out better anyway.

I just think transit systems around the country should think about the benefit of late night trains on weekends for people in the suburbs. People make very irresponsible decisions even when there is a transit alternative but at least have that alternative. If the communities get involved to make a push for service at least on Friday and Saturday, things could change everywhere. Heavy Rail, Commuter Trains, Lightrail, Streetcars could all provide this service. Whatever system each city has could save lives by extending service. Many people try to avoid the high cab costs and just drive which is plain stupid and irresponsible. As a country, we can work together to help our citizens have a good time out but a responsible outing as well.
I think his point was just that DC is so physically small that the heavy rail subway lines exit the city pretty easily and serve suburbs. In NYC or Chicago, there are those same heavy rail lines that run well into the night (all night), but they're almost entirely within the city limits. The issue here is that DC is like 66 square miles, and NYC and Chi are 200-300+ square miles.

For a comparison between Chicago, NYC and DC in this regards you'd have to look at coverage for the commuter rail lines around DC, not the Metro. Metro would be compared to CTA or MTA heavy rail. The only difference is that Metro physically leaves DC since in some cases you're in the suburbs within 3-5 miles from leaving the center of the city.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 PM

1,335 posts, read 1,662,097 times
Drunk on the subway at 2 a.m. - could you beg for any more trouble? I've always taken a cab after a night like that. If I had to ride the subway late at night, I'd choose NYC over Chicago or DC.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I think his point was just that DC is so physically small that the heavy rail subway lines exit the city pretty easily and serve suburbs. In NYC or Chicago, there are those same heavy rail lines that run well into the night (all night), but they're almost entirely within the city limits. The issue here is that DC is like 66 square miles, and NYC and Chi are 200-300+ square miles.

For a comparison between Chicago, NYC and DC in this regards you'd have to look at coverage for the commuter rail lines around DC, not the Metro. Metro would be compared to CTA or MTA heavy rail. The only difference is that Metro physically leaves DC since in some cases you're in the suburbs within 3-5 miles from leaving the center of the city.

Also the Metro is more of Hybrid - serves both as part regional rail like and part core heavy rail and this is a benefit and benefit to the covered hours

Also something for perspective. While allowing people to travel without a car etc is a function. Funneling home those out on all night bender is not the primary reason for rail in America, never will be
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City