Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 01:11 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
See this is a pet peeve of mine. There needs to be a sticky explaining metro governments and their effect on city populations. Otherwise you get people arguing that Nashville is larger than Atlanta!
BINGO! Totally agree. That's a major pet peeve of mine here on C-D. People constantly interchange "city" with metro as if they're the same. There's a big difference in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 02:24 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Quote:
Greeneville's urban environment literally feels like one linear strip.
To me it feels like an exclamation point. Both literally and figuratively! Though as south main develops it is becoming more of an exclamation point sitting above an upside down V.

Quote:
What people don't realize is Louisville has MULTIPLE urban and walkable urban districts.
I think most people are aware that Louisville is much bigger than Greenville. Considerably bigger during the heyday of downtown development and walkable neighborhood commercial districts. Your point is???

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-01-2018 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-01-2018, 06:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
BINGO! Totally agree. That's a major pet peeve of mine here on C-D. People constantly interchange "city" with metro as if they're the same. There's a big difference in many ways.
Same here, the homers constantly make ridiculous stretches to big up their cities, claiming things 25 miles away, saying that their metro includes 9 counties of cornfields where the tallest building is a silo, so bush league.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:20 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
Two great small cities that come to mind to me are Savannah, GA and Duluth, MN.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Knoxville, Portland ME, Richmond, and Fayetteville AR are nice small cities.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:41 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
San Marcos, Texas is a very nice small town, nestled among the hills of The Texas Hill Country. San Marcos is in the Austin Metro, but it is a stand-alone, self sufficient city, and has been since the year of 1848.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,894,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Same here, the homers constantly make ridiculous stretches to big up their cities, claiming things 25 miles away, saying that their metro includes 9 counties of cornfields where the tallest building is a silo, so bush league.
I mean Atlanta can fit into that category of many rural counties within the metro. I also feel like urban areas are the best way to measure a city. I think urban, and city just go together. As oppose to some random places way out where a few people travel to the city so they take the whole county, and make it part of the metro.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I mean Atlanta can fit into that category of many rural counties within the metro. I also feel like urban areas are the best way to measure a city. I think urban, and city just go together. As oppose to some random places way out where a few people travel to the city so they take the whole county, and make it part of the metro.
I agree.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:30 PM

61 posts, read 61,929 times
I would say Lancaster PA from everything I seen exceeds Nashua NH even as one of the best small cities in the nation. I like the amish influence, the food, and who can forget, ANGRY YOUNG AND POOR. Cigar stores and online retailers/shops also seem to be pretty good in PA.. and I remember Lancaster as well as other parts of PA having GOOD beer distributors. It beats anywhere Upstate NY by miles also.
You can put Lancaster next to Plattsburgh and its no contest. Lancaster wins.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:57 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InNH View Post
I would say Lancaster PA from everything I seen exceeds Nashua NH even as one of the best small cities in the nation. I like the amish influence, the food, and who can forget, ANGRY YOUNG AND POOR. Cigar stores and online retailers/shops also seem to be pretty good in PA.. and I remember Lancaster as well as other parts of PA having GOOD beer distributors. It beats anywhere Upstate NY by miles also.
You can put Lancaster next to Plattsburgh and its no contest. Lancaster wins.
Plattsburgh is smaller than Lancaster and there are pros/cons for each when comparing both. With that said, Lancaster is essentially more in line with Upstate NY cities like Utica, Schenectady and maybe Troy or Niagara Falls in terms of population/size.

Places like Ithaca and Saratoga Springs are a couple of nice small cities in Upstate NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City