Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City With 2nd Most Foot Traffic B/W US and Canada
Chicago 62 65.96%
Toronto 32 34.04%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times

Advertisements

Mexico City, last I checked, isn't in U.S. or Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:07 PM

615 posts, read 599,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yawns not impressed. DT SF is just more crowded. Sorry.

https://youtu.be/vL8qDJ58tuM
That's nowhere near as crowded as Yonge-Dundas.

Yonge-Dundas has a scramble intersection

https://youtu.be/BtpIUsohz5I?t=3m10s

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...to-canada.html

Lol

And yonge is similarly crowded for blocks, blocks that are 2x the size of those in SF. You're not going to match these crowds outside of manhattan Times Square.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
That's nowhere near as crowded as Yonge-Dundas.

Yonge-Dundas has a scramble intersection

https://youtu.be/BtpIUsohz5I?t=3m10s

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/c...to-canada.html

Lol

And yonge is similarly crowded for blocks, blocks that are 2x the size of those in SF. You're not going to match these crowds outside of manhattan Times Square.
LOL! I've walked the length of Yonge, from the lake to Eglinton or thereabouts, many times, and there is no stretch of Yonge that has comparable pedestrian flow as in peak intersections of downtown SF.

And comparing to Times Square is laughable. Yonge doesn't have comparable pedestrian flows to peak areas of Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx, to say nothing of the busiest crossroads in the Western world. Yonge has narrow sidewalks and isn't that busy outside of a few blocks.

If Yonge were in NYC it wouldn't be in the top 50 pedestrian corridors.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:24 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And comparing to Times Square is laughable. Yonge doesn't have comparable pedestrian flows to peak areas of Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx, to say nothing of the busiest crossroads in the Western world.
Let alone the rest of Manhattan

Part of it does have that mini Times Square vibe though (Yonge-Dundas IIRC). It’s undoubtedly inspired by Times Square. But to say that it’s busier than anywhere in NYC outside of Times Square is crazy talk.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Let alone the rest of Manhattan
Basically every major street or avenue in Manhattan has heavier pedestrian flow than in any other city in U.S./Canada., and sometimes for miles.

Broadway is consistently very busy from the Battery to basically 125th Street, and then moderately busy from 125th to the island tip. That's about 13 miles of solid activity.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:35 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,656,357 times
When it comes to foot traffic between U.S/CAD

Tier 1/God level- NYC

Tier 2- Toronto/Chicago/MTL

Tier 3- SF/Philly/Boston/others

Still hilarious how people say S.F has more foot traffic than Toronto haha.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
LOL! I've walked the length of Yonge, from the lake to Eglinton or thereabouts, many times, and there is no stretch of Yonge that has comparable pedestrian flow as in peak intersections of downtown SF.

And comparing to Times Square is laughable. Yonge doesn't have comparable pedestrian flows to peak areas of Queens/Brooklyn/Bronx, to say nothing of the busiest crossroads in the Western world. Yonge has narrow sidewalks and isn't that busy outside of a few blocks.

If Yonge were in NYC it wouldn't be in the top 50 pedestrian corridors.
Lake to Eglinton? Are you serious? Yonge is a long ass street.

Yonge from Front to College is packed. Comparable or more than what he posted for SF.

Yonge-Dundas is much more than anywhere in SF, and I said it's second to manhattan not comparable to manhattan.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Lake to Eglinton? Are you serious? Yonge is a long ass street.
It's not that long. I've ran marathons; I can walk a few miles. That's how you get to know cities.
Quote:
Yonge from Front to College is packed. Comparable or more than what he posted for SF.
Core SF is much busier than core Toronto at street level. I think anyone who isn't a homer would agree with this statement. SF has surprisingly heavy peak pedestrian counts.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's not that long. I've ran marathons; I can walk a few miles. That's how you get to know cities.

Core SF is much busier than core Toronto at street level. I think anyone who isn't a homer would agree with this statement. SF has surprisingly heavy peak pedestrian counts.
Yonge is not going to be continuously busy from the lake to eglinton, it has nothing to do with your ability to walk.

Yonge drops off after bloor, and most of the action is south of college.

Downtown Toronto is certainly more crowded at street level than SF, and the scale is much larger too. King W, Queen W, Spadina, Front st, are all crowded pedestrian streets.

And Yonge-Dundas is another animal, and I've been to SF a few times over the past 3 years.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:33 PM

520 posts, read 611,293 times
Market Street in SF had the highest pedestrian traffic, not in NYC, of any of the cities in the US that people found in this thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/city-...t-traffic.html

Actually, Pier 39 had the highest traffic of any place, but Market was higher than any other street found. Here is the (now outdated, numbers are higher), Market Street study: http://www.bettermarketstreetsf.org/...reetReport.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City