Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I'm very familiar with both. I have a home in the Charlotte area and have several relatives in the Raleigh/Durham area. Both are good in their own ways, but I'd much prefer Charlotte. Much more to do and a tad more affordable.
I'm always fascinated by statements like these when comparing somewhat comparable cities. Can you elaborate on what Charlotte offers that is "much more"..?

Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm always fascinated by statements like these when comparing somewhat comparable cities. Can you elaborate on what Charlotte offers that is "much more"..?
Almost guarantee the answer will be Carowinds, NFL, NBA, Nascar. Without those 4 things the two cities would have the same amount of things to do. For me personally, none of those amenities (all of which have off seasons) would be a deciding factor...and I'm a huge Panthers fan. I just drive 2 hours to get there. not a big deal.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Almost guarantee the answer will be Carowinds, NFL, NBA, Nascar. Without those 4 things the two cities would have the same amount of things to do. For me personally, none of those amenities (all of which have off seasons) would be a deciding factor...and I'm a huge Panthers fan. I just drive 2 hours to get there. not a big deal.
I actually like the whitewater center and that Charlotte is one city versus the 3-node RTP. However I prefer RDU because it's a bit more laid back. I dunno those are some big ticket items to sort of "dismiss". I think having Time Warner Cable downtown is a big advantage, not just basketball but concerts and other events, then toss in the light rail, it adds a lot more buzz to the downtown area. Raleigh missed the boat on PNC.

RDU has college sports but they don't unite the city/metro like pro sports. PNC downtown with Hockey would've been a big hit.

Think about events like this in PNC in downtown Raleigh (which I know they have).....it would've been a huge catalyst:

http://www.timewarnercablearena.com/...s-and-tickets/

Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I actually like the whitewater center and that Charlotte is one city versus the 3-node RTP. However I prefer RDU because it's a bit more laid back. I dunno those are some big ticket items to sort of "dismiss". I think having Time Warner Cable downtown is a big advantage, not just basketball but concerts and other events, then toss in the light rail, it adds a lot more buzz to the downtown area. Raleigh missed the boat on PNC.

RDU has college sports but they don't unite the city/metro like pro sports. PNC downtown with Hockey would've been a big hit.

Think about events like this in PNC in downtown Raleigh (which I know they have).....it would've been a huge catalyst:

Events and Tickets - Time Warner Cable Arena
I forgot about the Whitewater center, I agree that's a pretty cool place. I don't mind so much that Charlotte is one city and the Triangle is 3. Arbitrary, imaginary lines IMO. Charlotte is 300 square miles and Raleigh is 140. Driving Ballantyne to uptown Charlotte takes longer and is more miles than downtown Cary to downtown Raleigh.

Those are big ticket items to some, but honestly how many games are you going to go to even if you are a sports fan with the money to qfford tickets? Theyre expensive and home games relatively infrequent. Carowinds as well. When I lived 10 mins from Six Flags Great Adventure I still only went 2 or 3 times per season. Completely depends on the person. If theyre planning on going to every home game and frequently visiting Carowinds, Charlotte would be better just so you dont have to drive a few hours.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:50 AM

617 posts, read 551,568 times
I grew up in Raleigh, have spent plenty of time in Charlotte and now live in Atlanta. I don't think you could make a mistake with either city. Both are growing cities that have a lot to offer. To the OP, if you want a laid back lifestyle I think you would be in fine in either city, and both cities have top notch medical services for Asthma. If you are coming from the Atlanta area, both cities are more laid back than Atlanta. It mainly just depends on what you like to do in your day to day life.

Old 02-26-2018, 06:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Pro sports is one. More centralized location. Closer to mountains and other major cities. Raleigh is really only closer to the coast.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Pro sports is one. More centralized location. Closer to mountains and other major cities. Raleigh is really only closer to the coast.
Can you elaborate on this? Charlotte is 4 hours to Atlanta, Raleigh is 4 hours from DC. Charlotte is 5.5 hours from Jax, Raleigh is 6 hours from Philadelphia and 7.5 hours from NYC.

Charlotte is closer to the mountains, Raleigh is closer to the beach.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:23 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Charlotte is 4 hours to Atlanta, Raleigh is 4 hours from DC. Charlotte is 5.5 hours from Jax, Raleigh is 6 hours from Philadelphia and 7.5 hours from NYC.

Charlotte is closer to the mountains, Raleigh is closer to the beach.
Charlotte is closer to most of what you'd want to see in SC. It's also much closer to WNC and the mountains. Yes, Raleigh is closer to the beach, but it's still a couple hours away.

There just seems to be much less in eastern NC than around Charlotte.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
I think an argument can be made that Charlotte has a better location than Raleigh. As far as location goes, I prefer Raleigh's location closer to 95 and the coast, and East Coast/Mid-Atlantic cities, but an argument can be made for Charlotte...

Lol at questioning what Charlotte offers more of. The insecurity of Triangle boosters never ceases to amaze. Again, people value things differently, so one may not value the things that Charlotte has at a higher frequency, and that's completely fine. But Charlotte offers more than Raleigh, period. From shopping to entertainment to public transit to museums...

Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I think an argument can be made that Charlotte has a better location than Raleigh. As far as location goes, I prefer Raleigh's location closer to 95 and the coast, and East Coast/Mid-Atlantic cities, but an argument can be made for Charlotte...

Lol at questioning what Charlotte offers more of. The insecurity of Triangle boosters never ceases to amaze. Again, people value things differently, so one may not value the things that Charlotte has at a higher frequency, and that's completely fine. But Charlotte offers more than Raleigh, period. From shopping to entertainment to public transit to museums...
I'm still checking for that Saks Fifth Avenue and top rated colleges in Charlotte...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City