Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeslovak View Post
Hey guys!

I don't know too much about the U.S and cities but I do know NYC is pretty much the best city in the country.

Which cities rival each other as a second best city to NYC?

Also, what cities compare to NYC in terms of food? Any solid second city to NYC for food?

What are your guys opinions?
Second city in general: LA or Chicago.

But for food, I’d argue that LA is actually #1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 01:04 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,995,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You mean great local food.
I would think the best way to judge a city by its food is its local cuisine. Any city can have a McDonald's or a Pizza Hut.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:14 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,596,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I would think the best way to judge a city by its food is its local cuisine. Any city can have a McDonald's or a Pizza Hut.
It's not the pizza and bagels that make NYC special, it's the wide variety of both ethnic food and American food that does

Old 01-14-2019, 08:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,241,168 times
Chicago has popular city eateries that have a National following in when a city gets a franchise .... it is boasted of. After NYC as (disclaimer) Chicago Deep-Dish pizza is renown and has some of its famous ones have a few National locations. The despite thin-crispy crust city info small squares (party-style) is the most common in the city's neighborhoods and some other Midwestern cities.

Other kinds Portillo's was voted To Casual Dining restaurant by TripAdvisor voters.

Chicagoans, rejoice! Beloved hot dog joint named America's favorite restaurant

From link:
- based in Chicago. The cult-favorite restaurant, which has more than 50 locations across multiple states, is known for its Chicago-style hot dogs, Italian beef sandwiches and chocolate cake.

No word on whether it was the chain’s famous cakes or cake shake or hot dogs that put the franchise over the top for travelers.

Italian Beef sandwiches in a sub or hoagie bun are also.
This is ONLY on its noteworthy CASUAL DINING ....
and not ethnic or High-End fine dining that many claim 2nd
between Chicago and LA.

Chicago Deep-Dish - Chicago Hot Dog - Italian Beef

Last edited by DavePa; 07-20-2019 at 12:52 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 AM

483 posts, read 353,655 times
The US is blessed with a vibrant food culture compared with pretty much anywhere else in the World. I've been in Paris 6 times and have still not been impressed by the quality of restaurants there despite doing some research and asking French friends.

Lots of great input and pointless arguments in this thread but Miami and Seattle are two cities with fantastic food scenes that I don't see mentioned often here that deserve a mention. Over the border Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver all are great food cities. Vancouver is especially impressive given their bounty of fresh local ingredients and massive Asian communities contributing some very interesting fusion.

Some people are missing the point about Portland, a city I know well. Portland is a city where people (I would argue a much higher proportion of the populace than most other cites) are very passionate about food and a fantastic meal with fresh local ingredients can be had at any price point. Great food is all about fresh ingredients and that is a limitation most places, most times of the year.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
The US is blessed with a vibrant food culture compared with pretty much anywhere else in the World. I've been in Paris 6 times and have still not been impressed by the quality of restaurants there despite doing some research and asking French friends.
Don't repeat this, as this board is highly foreign-centric, with a heavy favoritism for all things European. Nothing in America touches anything in Europe, nothing comes close!! Except New York City, which is this untouchable force with no equal the world over!

Old 01-15-2019, 05:36 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
CHI or SF for #2 foodwise.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-15-2019 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-15-2019, 05:42 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
Agreed...Portland, OR is a great foodie (including beer and wine) city though not #2. Many very good restaurants there. And Seattle does what no other West Coast City (talking Coast, not Vegas) does—actually has very good steakhouses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post

Lots of great input and pointless arguments in this thread but Miami and Seattle are two cities with fantastic food scenes that I don't see mentioned often here that deserve a mention.

Some people are missing the point about Portland, a city I know well. Portland is a city where people (I would argue a much higher proportion of the populace than most other cites) are very passionate about food and a fantastic meal with fresh local ingredients can be had at any price point. Great food is all about fresh ingredients and that is a limitation most places, most times of the year.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:18 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Don't repeat this, as this board is highly foreign-centric, with a heavy favoritism for all things European. Nothing in America touches anything in Europe, nothing comes close!! Except New York City, which is this untouchable force with no equal the world over!

I think the Euro praise on this board is in regard to transit, walk-ability, streetlife, and general urbanism. In which case, I think it is objectively true. No US city outside NYC can match a typical big european city on those measures.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
Second city in general: LA or Chicago.

But for food, I’d argue that LA is actually #1.
They are both strong contenders. IMO, to be a good food city you need 1) density to support of lot of options in close proximity and 2) diversity (and cosmopolitanism) to provide lots of variety/mixing.

LA does really well on diversity, but not as well on density giving its sprawling decentralized make up. Chicago does better on density(and importantly centralization). But, dose a little worse on diversity. So I go back on forth on them.

I would also through SF in the mix, although smaller than the others it does better than LA on density/centralization and better than Chicago on diversity/cosmopolitanism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City