Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to possibly move next middle - late next summer. I'm currently planning a couple trips in spring to a couple cities to check them out and get a feel for them. Currently I'm considering Chicago, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Houston, and Washington D.C (although this one I'm not sure about).

A bit about me: I'm 23 years old, single, young professional working in finance. Interests mainly include sports, running and hiking, poker, live music, indoor rock climbing, scuba diving, and food & drinks.

My main criteria in order of importance:

1. Reasonable cost of living. Nothing like NYC, LA, or the Bay Area. This is why I'm unsure about Washington D.C

2. Jobs. Looking for a city that has a good presence of fortune 500 or large private companies. Doesn't have to be financial institutions necessarily.

3. Nightlife. Still haven't grown out of the college scene / vibe. Having bars, restaurants, and clubs nearby are important.

4. Public transit. I'd like to get rid of my car if I move so having a good public transit system is necessary. Bonus points if there's a large airport with direct flights in the city.

5. Large(ish) transplant presence. Where I am now isn't a very transient city, it seems a lot of people grow up and stay here so it's hard breaking into high school and college social circles.

6. Not really interested in smaller cities, but this isn't as important.

7. Climate isn't too much of a consideration for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Based on your criteria, Atlanta wins. It checks all of the boxes and is affordable. It is a great place for a young person to network, move up in their careers while also being able to go to great concerts, restaurants, and bars.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,697,576 times
^Atlanta? It would be tough without a car.

DC's cost is comparable to LA in my opinion. Not as high as SF and NYC but definitely not "affordable" but it's still doable.

Chicago and Philadelphia are your best bets! Check's all of the boxes and you could actually live a car free life, assuming this is more important then rock climbing & scuba diving capabilities, while being surrounded by transients and tons of nightlife options

Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

DC's cost is comparable to LA in my opinion. Not as high as SF and NYC but definitely not "affordable" but it's still doable.

Chicago and Philadelphia are your best bets! Check's all of the boxes and you could actually live a car free life, assuming this is more important then rock climbing & scuba diving capabilities, while being surrounded by transients and tons of nightlife options
Atlanta has mass transit, believe it or not. Chicago would be my number 2.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Atlanta has mass transit, believe it or not. Chicago would be my number 2.
Yes it does but it's nowhere vast enough of a system for someone to easily live without a car. I can only see living and working in the midtown area to be a "good/decent" car free life. Definitely nowhere as easy as it would be in Chicago or Philly.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Based on your criteria, Atlanta wins. It checks all of the boxes and is affordable. It is a great place for a young person to network, move up in their careers while also being able to go to great concerts, restaurants, and bars.
Hmm, never really even thought about Atlanta. I might nix my Washington D.C trip and head to Atlanta for a weekend instead.

Another perk is mild winters compared to up in the North so that wouldn't be bad either.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post

I'll definitely be heading to Chicago and Philadelphia, those trips are already booked. The hobbies and stuff aren't as important since there's always going to be new stuff to try. But even Philadelphia is only ~1.5 hours from mountains and beaches so I don't think it'd be bad.

Atlanta seems interesting like the other user suggested, I might take a trip there as well.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username_generator412 View Post
Hmm, never really even thought about Atlanta. I might nix my Washington D.C trip and head to Atlanta for a weekend instead.

Another perk is mild winters compared to up in the North so that wouldn't be bad either.
I would choose Atlanta over Chicago based on climate and affordability. What you get for your money in Atlanta in comparison goes a long way to sustaining your quality of life. Atlanta is close to mountains, and beaches are not too far away. I am not saying Atlanta is a better city or compares to Chicago by my preference, but that it is worth a look. I like Chicago because it gives you a big city lifestyle that is more affordable than DC, NY, of SF. Chicago has a very rich cultural heritage and all American characteristics that are welcoming.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
I'll definitely be heading to Chicago and Philadelphia, those trips are already booked. The hobbies and stuff aren't as important since there's always going to be new stuff to try. But even Philadelphia is only ~1.5 hours from mountains and beaches so I don't think it'd be bad.

Atlanta seems interesting like the other user suggested, I might take a trip there as well.
You'll definitely get more of a "big city" cosmopolitan, compact and urban feel from Chicago and Philly over Atlanta. If milder winters is a big priority for you then Atlanta would take the cake with Chicago being the worst of the three. Philly would be ideal imo.. close to beaches and mountains without needing a car with close access to DC and NYC, which you can get to very easily via bus or train. I believe Philly and Atlanta are relatively comparable in cost except in Philly you wont need a car and you're close to other major cities.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:38 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
I'm looking to possibly move next middle - late next summer. I'm currently planning a couple trips in spring to a couple cities to check them out and get a feel for them. Currently I'm considering Chicago, Philadelphia, Charlotte, Houston, and Washington D.C (although this one I'm not sure about).

A bit about me: I'm 23 years old, single, young professional working in finance. Interests mainly include sports, running and hiking, poker, live music, indoor rock climbing, scuba diving, and food & drinks.

My main criteria in order of importance:

1. Reasonable cost of living. Nothing like NYC, LA, or the Bay Area. This is why I'm unsure about Washington D.C

2. Jobs. Looking for a city that has a good presence of fortune 500 or large private companies. Doesn't have to be financial institutions necessarily.

3. Nightlife. Still haven't grown out of the college scene / vibe. Having bars, restaurants, and clubs nearby are important.

4. Public transit. I'd like to get rid of my car if I move so having a good public transit system is necessary. Bonus points if there's a large airport with direct flights in the city.

5. Large(ish) transplant presence. Where I am now isn't a very transient city, it seems a lot of people grow up and stay here so it's hard breaking into high school and college social circles.

6. Not really interested in smaller cities, but this isn't as important.

7. Climate isn't too much of a consideration for me.
I've lived in Chicago and Charlotte.

Both are good places. Charlotte is great if you are looking for a suburban option. Chicago is one of the best cities in the world for urban living and cost. It's one of the few cities where one could get rid of their car and live. Charlotte isn't there.

From what I can remember, Charlotte draws a lot from larger cities in the north east. Chicago draws a lot from rural midwest. There is also a large local culture as well. You wont have any problems developing social circles in either city.

Philly is worth a look as well. Its affordable and definitely urban and from what I can see would meet your transit qulifications. Not sure about your transient culture but it is a big city.

Atlanta doesn't offer a get rid of your car type of urban experience but has some real transit in the planning phase. Based on your criteria, I would choose it over Charlotte at this time. It just a larger city with more options. Not very walkable in comparison to other large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City