Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:49 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
The 2010 Census says Cubans only make up 34.4% of Miami city propers population. When looking at the entire metro area like this thread is doing the percentage of Cubans is much, much lower than 34 percent. The Hispanic and Latino population of the Miami metro area is only 41 percent of the population, with a lot of that concentrated in certain enclaves. The CSA is even lower than 41 percent. When factoring in all the tourists and snowbirds it seems even lower around the metro, especially in certain areas.
I'm glad you pointed that out. I don't know where people get the notion that South Florida(or even Miami-Dade as a whole) is exclusively or overwhelmingly Cuban. Miami isn't anymore Cuban than LA or Houston are Mexican. And those two cities are noted for their diversity. Cubans make up the largest Hispanic group in Dade County for sure. But their overall percentage isn't so overwhelmingly great, that other groups go unnoticed. Basically Southwest Miami Dade and most Western suburbs are of Dade are overwhelmingly Cuban. Outside of that, the rest of Dade County and SoFla is a hodgepodge of Black West Indian/Black American, many different South American nationalities, and a decently sized southern European base. It's weird how ppl on this forum judge diversity when it comes to SoFla. They'll belittle diversity of nationalities in SoFla because a good portion comes from "The same place" and "They all speak Spanish"(IE: Latin America/Caribbean) and it doesn't seem to matter how different these Latin Americans groups may be racially to folks on CD. They don't take into account the Mayan guatemalans, Italian Argentineans, Afro-Dominicans, Indo-Caribbeans, etc.

But on the flipside any city with a variety of East Asians or a variety of West Africans will not have their diversity belittled, even if those groups come from adjacent nations. So weird to me. Miami/SoFla does lack in African and Asian immigrants, but it's variety of Latin Groups, Black West Indian groups, and Europeans should be respected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 08:13 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
The 2010 Census says Cubans only make up 34.4% of Miami city propers population. When looking at the entire metro area like this thread is doing the percentage of Cubans is much, much lower than 34 percent. The Hispanic and Latino population of the Miami metro area is only 41 percent of the population, with a lot of that concentrated in certain enclaves. The CSA is even lower than 41 percent. When factoring in all the tourists and snowbirds it seems even lower around the metro, especially in certain areas.
Notice how I was talking about immigration numbers and not demographic numbers of the whole metropolitan area. Within Miami-Dade Country, 34.5% are Cuban out of 64.3% Hispanics (2012) that is a HUGE chunk. Not saying Miami isn't diverse, but outside the Pan-American spectrum, it lacks global representation. And no, tourists and snowbirds don't count either since they are not permanent residents.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:48 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I'm glad you pointed that out. I don't know where people get the notion that South Florida(or even Miami-Dade as a whole) is exclusively or overwhelmingly Cuban. Miami isn't anymore Cuban than LA or Houston are Mexican. And those two cities are noted for their diversity. Cubans make up the largest Hispanic group in Dade County for sure. But their overall percentage isn't so overwhelmingly great, that other groups go unnoticed. Basically Southwest Miami Dade and most Western suburbs are of Dade are overwhelmingly Cuban. Outside of that, the rest of Dade County and SoFla is a hodgepodge of Black West Indian/Black American, many different South American nationalities, and a decently sized southern European base. It's weird how ppl on this forum judge diversity when it comes to SoFla. They'll belittle diversity of nationalities in SoFla because a good portion comes from "The same place" and "They all speak Spanish"(IE: Latin America/Caribbean) and it doesn't seem to matter how different these Latin Americans groups may be racially to folks on CD. They don't take into account the Mayan guatemalans, Italian Argentineans, Afro-Dominicans, Indo-Caribbeans, etc.

But on the flipside any city with a variety of East Asians or a variety of West Africans will not have their diversity belittled, even if those groups come from adjacent nations. So weird to me. Miami/SoFla does lack in African and Asian immigrants, but it's variety of Latin Groups, Black West Indian groups, and Europeans should be respected.
I think something should be clarified.

I do think Miami is very diverse, however because its diversity comes from 1-2 parts of the world only, I would consider it less diverse than LA or Houston because their diversity comes from all over the world. Miami has the most diverse Latin American population in the US after NYC, but it lacks any sizable Asian and Continental African populations.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:32 AM

307 posts, read 330,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Notice how I was talking about immigration numbers and not demographic numbers of the whole metropolitan area. Within Miami-Dade Country, 34.5% are Cuban out of 64.3% Hispanics (2012) that is a HUGE chunk. Not saying Miami isn't diverse, but outside the Pan-American spectrum, it lacks global representation. And no, tourists and snowbirds don't count either since they are not permanent residents.
But you were responding to someone talking about the whole metro area so I figured you were too. Like I said before, certain areas of the Miami metro have more Cubans and Hispanics than other areas. Miami-Dade County is one of them. When looking at the entire metro area those percentages you gave go way down. Miami-Dade County's population is 2.7 million. Broward County's is 1.9 million and Palm Beach County's is 1.4 million. Why would you be talking about just Miami city proper or just Miami-Dade County when every other person in this thread is referring to entire metro areas, including the person you were responding to.

Tourists and snowbirds might not "count" but they still are people in the area just like anyone else, many staying for 5 or 6 months at a time. Most of them are out and about spending a lot of money trying to have a nice visit. The Miami metro area gets many times more snowbirds than any other place in the U.S., probably even the entire world. Many of those snowbirds come down from NYC and Toronto, two of the most diverse cities in the world. It also receives almost the exact same number of international tourists as the entire Los Angeles metro, which has a population and land area almost 3 times its size, and they are only behind the NYC metro in international tourists. Many of the tourists come from a really wide range of European and South American countries. Considering it's the only area in the U.S. with anything remotely close to that combination of visitors why wouldn't they count when looking at diversity?

The Miami metro area also has a large amount of high population dense religious and ethnic enclaves. I could name a huge number of totally separate areas down there that are widely known as being ethnic enclaves for dozens of different countries around the world. Can you name the same amount of large population areas for any metro area other than L.A. and NYC.? I'm talking a bunch of enclaves with tens and hundreds of thousands of people. That's not even getting into the unique combination of ethnicities found in the Miami metro area. Can you think of any other place in the entire world that has anywhere close to the same combination of ethnicities? The diversity of its black population is amazing and almost gives the NYC area a run for its money. Some people on this forum act like enclaves are a bad thing and entire metro areas should be totally mixed no matter what. Just the concentration of the ethnic groups alone in some of those large and dense population areas should make the Miami metro win by default when compared to its peers that have nothing close to the same scale of diverse ethnic areas. It really does feel like a different country in some of those areas. How many places in the U.S. can you say that about? The reason why the Miami area is known all around the world is because people from all around the world go there. For its size it has quite the brand image.

Last edited by pinytr; 04-14-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 12:17 PM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
I think something should be clarified.

I do think Miami is very diverse, however because its diversity comes from 1-2 parts of the world only, I would consider it less diverse than LA or Houston because their diversity comes from all over the world. Miami has the most diverse Latin American population in the US after NYC, but it lacks any sizable Asian and Continental African populations.
Bingo! it's very diverse in the Pan-American sense, and slightly European (not near the NYC, CHI, MTL, TO, BOS diverse) but mid-pack. But the city/metro lacks Asian/Middle-Eastern/African populations. Obviously, you have little pockets here and there with those populations, but it's mainly Pan-American dominated.

Old 04-14-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Bingo! it's very diverse in the Pan-American sense, and slightly European (not near the NYC, CHI, MTL, TO, BOS diverse) but mid-pack. But the city/metro lacks Asian/Middle-Eastern/African populations. Obviously, you have little pockets here and there with those populations, but it's mainly Pan-American dominated.
Miami is slightly more than mid pack when it comes to European immigration in the North America. It's top 5 in America and Top10 in North America. Especially when it comes to Southern European immigration.

Immigrants from Europe:

1) New York: 919,000
2) Chicago: 365,000
3) Los Angeles: 223,000
4) Boston: 151,000
5) Miami: 130,000
6) San Francisco: 129,000
7) Philadelphia: 116,000
8) Washington DC: 113,000
9) Seattle: 101,000
10) Atlanta: 68,000
11) Houston: 64,000
12) San Diego: 59,000
13) Phoenix: 59,000
14) San Jose: 55,000
15) Dallas: 53,000
16) Riverside, CA: 38,000

And for good measure, here's Miami's immigrant count if Cubans were taken out:

Immigrant populations per metro area without their largest immigrant group:

1) New York - Dominicans: 5,084,000
2) Los Angeles - Mexicans: 2,686,000
3) Miami - Cubans: 1,514,000
4) Washington DC - Salvadorans: 1,110,000
5) San Francisco - Mexicans: 1,086,000
6) Chicago - Mexicans: 1,011,000
7) Houston - Mexicans: 789,000
8) Boston - Dominicans: 724,000
9) Dallas - Mexicans: 570,000
10) Atlanta - Mexicans: 558,000
11) San Jose - Mexicans: 547,000
12) Philadelphia - Indians: 532,000
13) Seattle - Mexicans: 517,000
14) San Diego - Mexicans: 406,000
15) Riverside, CA - Mexicans: 379,000
16) Phoenix - Mexicans: 282,000

Old 04-14-2018, 02:26 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:

I also don't get why so many people act like nobody speaks English in Miami

Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I also don't get why so many people act like nobody speaks English in Miami
Yeah, people exagerrate that "no speak English" stuff in SoFla.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Miami is slightly more than mid pack when it comes to European immigration in the North America. It's top 5 in America and Top10 in North America. Especially when it comes to Southern European immigration.

Immigrants from Europe:

1) New York: 919,000
2) Chicago: 365,000
3) Los Angeles: 223,000
4) Boston: 151,000
5) Miami: 130,000
6) San Francisco: 129,000
7) Philadelphia: 116,000
8) Washington DC: 113,000
9) Seattle: 101,000
10) Atlanta: 68,000
11) Houston: 64,000
12) San Diego: 59,000
13) Phoenix: 59,000
14) San Jose: 55,000
15) Dallas: 53,000
16) Riverside, CA: 38,000

And for good measure, here's Miami's immigrant count if Cubans were taken out:

Immigrant populations per metro area without their largest immigrant group:

1) New York - Dominicans: 5,084,000
2) Los Angeles - Mexicans: 2,686,000
3) Miami - Cubans: 1,514,000
4) Washington DC - Salvadorans: 1,110,000
5) San Francisco - Mexicans: 1,086,000
6) Chicago - Mexicans: 1,011,000
7) Houston - Mexicans: 789,000
8) Boston - Dominicans: 724,000
9) Dallas - Mexicans: 570,000
10) Atlanta - Mexicans: 558,000
11) San Jose - Mexicans: 547,000
12) Philadelphia - Indians: 532,000
13) Seattle - Mexicans: 517,000
14) San Diego - Mexicans: 406,000
15) Riverside, CA - Mexicans: 379,000
16) Phoenix - Mexicans: 282,000
Its not that Miami isnt diverse, its just heavily one sided. Miami's immigrant groups overwhelmingly come from Latin America with a fair amount of Europeans too. Miami has a huge lack of Asian and African immigrants given its massive immigrant population. Miami doesnt even get many visitors from those regions either. Looking at airline data, Orlando by far gets the most Asian visitors of any city in Florida with South Florida being a very distant 2nd with the exception of the Philippines.

Old 04-15-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:

The Miami metro area also has a large amount of high population dense religious and ethnic enclaves. I could name a huge number of totally separate areas down there that are widely known as being ethnic enclaves for dozens of different countries around the world. Can you name the same amount of large population areas for any metro area other than L.A. and NYC.? I'm talking a bunch of enclaves with tens and hundreds of thousands of people. That's not even getting into the unique combination of ethnicities found in the Miami metro area. Can you think of any other place in the entire world that has anywhere close to the same combination of ethnicities? The diversity of its black population is amazing and almost gives the NYC area a run for its money. Some people on this forum act like enclaves are a bad thing and entire metro areas should be totally mixed no matter what. Just the concentration of the ethnic groups alone in some of those large and dense population areas should make the Miami metro win by default when compared to its peers that have nothing close to the same scale of diverse ethnic areas. It really does feel like a different country in some of those areas. How many places in the U.S. can you say that about? The reason why the Miami area is known all around the world is because people from all around the world go there. For its size it has quite the brand image.
I would start off by saying snowbirds dont count towards diversity.

As for visitors and tourists, according to airline data they are overwhelmingly Latin American and European. Miami gets almost no visitors from Asia sans the Filipino cruise workers that fly in. Very little traffic from Africa either.

I can say with a straight face that, while I find Miami diverse, because its diversity is heavy towards one region, I find a place like Houston or DC more diverse because of the balance of diversity those areas have. If you isolate the Hispanic population, Miami has the most diverse Hispanic population outside NYC. The black population is different. Miami has a lot of black islanders but almost no African blacks. For that reason, Id say Miami's black population below that of Atlanta, DC, or NYC which have lots of all three.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City