Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 04:24 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

I feel like Grand Rapids is a good candidate for this. Most people on here don't consider it Rust Belt because it's population growth numbers. I feel like that overlooks the fact that in the late 70's going into the early 80's its downtown was nearly burnt out and abandoned, and the economy in the region was almost exclusively manufacturing. The fact that today it has one of the most regarded cores for a city it's size, and a rapidly emerging knowledge based and bioscience economy is pretty remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:43 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
I think Chicago had a huge manufacturing element, but I don't know if it was every truly rust belt since it had so much going on as well.

Talking about change and reinventing itself though, yes, as now the number of manufacturing jobs in the metro are only 9% of all jobs.

There are 265% more jobs in finance and corporate than there are manufacturing.

Today there are actually 10% more jobs in the tourism sector than there are manufacturing - something which certainly wasn't the case 100 years ago.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:29 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I feel like Grand Rapids is a good candidate for this. Most people on here don't consider it Rust Belt because it's population growth numbers. I feel like that overlooks the fact that in the late 70's going into the early 80's its downtown was nearly burnt out and abandoned, and the economy in the region was almost exclusively manufacturing. The fact that today it has one of the most regarded cores for a city it's size, and a rapidly emerging knowledge based and bioscience economy is pretty remarkable.
From people in my area that are familiar with Grand Rapids I have heard similar stories. How the downtown of the city today is almost unrecognizable from 25 years ago. It's a lot larger than most people give it credit for, over 1 million in the metro area, Michigan's second largest MSA after Detroit.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
From people in my area that are familiar with Grand Rapids I have heard similar stories. How the downtown of the city today is almost unrecognizable from 25 years ago. It's a lot larger than most people give it credit for, over 1 million in the metro area, Michigan's second largest MSA after Detroit.
I think the same can be said for most city downtowns.

Back to the op, what city in Iowa is considered Rust Belt?

My vote goes to Pittsburgh. Great job, PA!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:55 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Small City: Grand Rapids
Medium-Sized City: Pittsburgh
Large City: Chicago

Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post

Back to the op, what city in Iowa is considered Rust Belt?
The Quad Cities, Waterloo and maybe Dubuque could be rust belt contenders.

The Quad Cities lost 20,000 jobs in only a few years during the early 1980's.

Waterloo lost over 15% of its population within a few years and the city was blanketed by abandoned homes. It's stabilized over the past few decades, but still hasn't grown since the 1970's.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Chicago has never been considered a Rust Belt city. Midwest doesn't equal Rust Belt.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:43 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Chicago has never been considered a Rust Belt city. Midwest doesn't equal Rust Belt.
Agreed. I thought it was odd how many people are suggesting Chicago is a recovered Rust Belt city.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM

1,887 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Agreed. I thought it was odd how many people are suggesting Chicago is a recovered Rust Belt city.
Because they equate the Midwest being the Rust Belt but little do they know there's cities on the East Coast that are Rust Belt or was considered Rust Belt at one time.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:13 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
I have seen Chicago referred to as being in the Rust belt and can agree with that. Rust belt status is defined by *deindustrialization*. Ever been down to the far South Side where the steel mills used to employ thousands of people and support hundreds of ancillary businesses? Ever ride through the West Side or Northwest Side on the Metra trains past the miles and miles of derilect factories? All of that represented a huge part of Chicago's economy until they all went bust in the 70s/80s. That's Rust Belt.

Take a look at this map: http://siliconrustbelt.com/wp-conten.../rust-belt.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City