Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most college students
Atlanta 13 28.89%
Charlotte 0 0%
Miami 1 2.22%
Raleigh-Durham 19 42.22%
DC 5 11.11%
Dallas 2 4.44%
Houston 4 8.89%
New Orleans 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 11:26 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Nashville is noticeably absent from the list.
Nashville does have quite a few colleges and universities in its central area.

Vanderbilt
Belmont
Fisk
Lipscomb
TSU
Nashville State
Trevecca Nazarene
Watkins
Welch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 12:11 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,233,471 times
UAB alone should put Birmingham on this list.

Old 04-19-2018, 12:34 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
The US census states that in regards to college students they should be counted in residence wherever they spend the majority of the year, which means almost all full-time students should count for their school's region. On or off campus residence does not matter. That said, the census is self-reporting so there's not telling how many people report incorrectly.

As for the OP, I think it depends on how you approach this question. I interpreted the question posed to be specific to an area's urban core and how the infusion of a student population affects that singular urban core. So to me this means universities that aren't in or adjacent to the urban core have a far lower impact. Also wouldn't include any of the ancillary benefits that come from a university like the higher education-level, arts and culture amenities, reputation, etc. I would personally factor in jobs and so forth that are in or adjacent to the urban core cause that brings more traffic and vibrancy, but technically the OP said "students."

Anyway, under those guidelines I think Atlanta definitely benefits greatly as does Richmond. Charlotte, Birmingham, Charleston and Austin also but to a slightly lesser extent. Technically the true college towns would by far benefit the most but I assume we are excluding them from the mix.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:15 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Although not expressly stated, I think the OP is avoiding cities that are basically college towns.
^^This, I meant among the “big” names in the south, I did forget Nashville and Austin though.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,278,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
The US census states that in regards to college students they should be counted in residence wherever they spend the majority of the year, which means almost all full-time students should count for their school's region. On or off campus residence does not matter. That said, the census is self-reporting so there's not telling how many people report incorrectly.

As for the OP, I think it depends on how you approach this question. I interpreted the question posed to be specific to an area's urban core and how the infusion of a student population affects that singular urban core. So to me this means universities that aren't in or adjacent to the urban core have a far lower impact. Also wouldn't include any of the ancillary benefits that come from a university like the higher education-level, arts and culture amenities, reputation, etc. I would personally factor in jobs and so forth that are in or adjacent to the urban core cause that brings more traffic and vibrancy, but technically the OP said "students."

Anyway, under those guidelines I think Atlanta definitely benefits greatly as does Richmond. Charlotte, Birmingham, Charleston and Austin also but to a slightly lesser extent. Technically the true college towns would by far benefit the most but I assume we are excluding them from the mix.
They *should* be, but they are typically temporary residents and retain their home state ID and voting district. This is very true of undergraduate students.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:51 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
Columbia, SC (University of SC) should have definitely been on this poll. Especially when thinking about SEC/ACC cities with large universities.

Greensboro should have been on here too

Old 04-19-2018, 05:28 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
The OP chose what he chose. A little less shade, please.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:50 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,820,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep View Post
They *should* be, but they are typically temporary residents and retain their home state ID and voting district. This is very true of undergraduate students.
Residency and census enumeration are two different things.

When you go to college, you have the option of changing your residency. So if I (a Virginia resident) go to college in Boise, Idaho, I can maintain my Virginia residency or apply for Idaho residency (upon meeting that state's residency rules).

Census enumeration says that wherever I live on April 1, 2020, is where I will be counted. April 1, 2020 is in-session for 99% of college students, so I would be a +1 to the census count for Boise, not for Alexandria, VA. Where it gets unclear is if I live in Boise now, but still have my room in my parent's house that I lived in all throughout my life.

Many parents fill out their census forms and would include their child, leading to +1 in Alexandria and +1 in Boise (a doublecount). Which is why the Census focuses on a single day, April 1. If I was living in Boise on April 1, I am +1 in Boise on the census.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:05 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Census enumeration says that wherever I live on April 1, 2020, is where I will be counted. April 1, 2020 is in-session for 99% of college students, so I would be a +1 to the census count for Boise, not for Alexandria, VA. Where it gets unclear is if I live in Boise now, but still have my room in my parent's house that I lived in all throughout my life.

Many parents fill out their census forms and would include their child, leading to +1 in Alexandria and +1 in Boise (a doublecount). Which is why the Census focuses on a single day, April 1. If I was living in Boise on April 1, I am +1 in Boise on the census.
Kinda but not quite right. For 2010 (and I believe ever since 1960) the rule is as follows:

Quote:
• Live or stay at the residence most of the time; OR
• Stayed there on April 1, 2010 and had no permanent place to live; OR
• Stay at the residence more time than any other place they might live or stay.
See page 7. https://www.census.gov/2010census/pa...rb_English.pdf

So there really shouldn't be any confusion. It's simply where you spend the most time for that year. However, if you really have no permanent place to live or ostensibly split time evenly with multiple areas, then your location on April 1 is the tiebreaker.

And beginning in 2010 the census began attempting to make this clear by specifically asking if there are any college students in your household and if so, providing the option to list them as living at school...at the very least it is an effort to avoid double counting.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:31 PM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I understand that they function as one metro, but this thread is about cities where the university strengthens the core, and a multimodal metro doesn’t truly have a core.
Incidentally.....the multi-nodal facet of the Triangle area is pretty much exclusively derived from the presence of the three universities. The three primary cities are Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The downtown areas of all three of those cores are adjacent to, blend seamlessly with with, or are dominated by the campuses of NC State, Duke, and UNC respectively. The region itself, the Research Triangle, is so-named because of the three major research universities.

The presence of the three major universities almost completely creates the identity of the Research Triangle region of NC. Even moreso than Raleigh's status as the state capital.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 04-19-2018 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City