Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:29 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times

Advertisements

Most of those are quite a bit smaller than Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 01:47 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,085,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
There is no way that Portland, a city with a majority of science-denying kooks, is a "Teir 3" city.
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-fluoridation/
So now it makes you a "science denying kook" just because you don't want the government putting waste chemicals with very questionable health benefits and documented side effects in our water?

I'll keep my fluoride free water and toothpaste thank you very much.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Most of those are quite a bit smaller than Miami.
Not really... I'm not considering the entire 75+ mile South Florida strip, which is the 4th or 5th largest metro area in the U.S., just the area contiguous with Miami City (including S. Beach). In that case, Baltimore, Detroit, Phoenix and San Antonio are all bigger.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
Downtowns serve whole regions, not just what's within a narrow area. Commuters don't stop at the city limits of course! Neither do people headed for a museum or stadium. Or companies that serve the region. And so on.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:25 PM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Most times I've hung out in Brickell, I've taken pubic trans and walked around which is easy; Brickell is well served by transit given the Metro Rail stop, near Brickell's center and the connecting, elevated, free, Metro Mover which circulates through Brickell and connects with north/old downtown. Brickell didn't have a ton of on street retail and I'm sure most is in BCC or Mary Brickell's Place, but there were tons of clubs and restaurants with street and 2nd level outdoor cafes that generate foot traffic. Car traffic can be heavy and parking is a beeatch, but the area is highly walkable... and scenic.

Your standards must be ridiculously high or your suffering from the grass-is-always-greener elsewhere syndrome, because I think a whole lot of folks would take downtown Miami as a whole, and especially Brickell, over most cities Miami's size ... and even bigger like, say, Detroit, San Antonio (Riverwalk and little else), Dallas (boring), Phoenix (ditto), St. Louis, Milwaukee, Baltimore (which has a nice, historic downtown, but I'll take Miami's), etc, etc... Not every place is going to be South Beach, which is wacko-crazy fun and the best people watching (esp girl watching) venue in America imho with wacko-crazy density and traffic (but zero public trans). We'll just have to agree to disagree...
About Downtown Miami

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...215778045.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...215369140.html

Old 08-18-2018, 02:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,925,286 times
Brickell was never downtown until recently the city labeled it as Greater Downtown Miami since it has gotten built up and downtown core still being the laggard. It combined areas to the north of downtown, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City