Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 16,188 times

Advertisements

In the link you posted even the comments find the article suspect. And the original poster was asking for a comparison of Seattle vs. Buffalo, in that case there's no comparison. The other thing I'd add that most millennials who go to Buffalo go there for family in the area. My daughter had a large group of friends while at UB, of the 20 or so I know about there was only one who stayed close. She had family in Lockport and she moved to Fredonia last I heard. Buffalo is a great place for old folks though. The pace is perfect for them just so long as they aren't running their cars into storefronts.

You mention the Toronto area as possibly having influence in an influx of young folks to the Buffalo area but I'd guess if I were younger I'd do the opposite and migrate towards Toronto. I can't remember which player it was on the Bills but they said there was nothing to do there for the players so they headed to Toronto.

As for the original poster again I wanted to convey to her that Buffalo doesn't come to mind, to me anyways, as a city I'd tell my young adult to go plant your flag. But if you're an old souled young person then Buffalo would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_monster View Post
In the link you posted even the comments find the article suspect. And the original poster was asking for a comparison of Seattle vs. Buffalo, in that case there's no comparison. The other thing I'd add that most millennials who go to Buffalo go there for family in the area. My daughter had a large group of friends while at UB, of the 20 or so I know about there was only one who stayed close. She had family in Lockport and she moved to Fredonia last I heard. Buffalo is a great place for old folks though. The pace is perfect for them just so long as they aren't running their cars into storefronts.

You mention the Toronto area as possibly having influence in an influx of young folks to the Buffalo area but I'd guess if I were younger I'd do the opposite and migrate towards Toronto. I can't remember which player it was on the Bills but they said there was nothing to do there for the players so they headed to Toronto.

As for the original poster again I wanted to convey to her that Buffalo doesn't come to mind, to me anyways, as a city I'd tell my young adult to go plant your flag. But if you're an old souled young person then Buffalo would be great.
Do you have information stating that millennials that move to the Buffalo area are strictly family related? I haven’t seen that in the many articles.

No, I said that Buffalo is right across the Niagara River from Canada’s biggest population concentration of roughly 10 million people. There is also another adjacent metro with over 1 million people as well. So, while it is a smaller metro, it isn’t really as isolated due to having other population centers within close proximity.

Again, there appears to be some younger folks that are attracted to the area in part due to its affordability, which Buffalo is in comparison.

Also, the median age in Buffalo is 32.9. It is 35.8 for Seattle. This is according to 2012-2016 census information for both city propers. If you go by the main counties, Erie County NY has a median age of 40.4 and King County WA is 37.2. So, it will depend on what you are comparing, but there isn’t a huge difference in terms of age either way.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:47 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
That says nothing about millennials.

Seattle is strong in high-wage millennials and young professionals in general. Our median is influenced by a lack of kids and families.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
That says nothing about millennials.

Seattle is strong in high-wage millennials and young professionals in general. Our median is influenced by a lack of kids and families.
What are you referring to in terms of the first statement? If you are talking about the median age information, it was to show the poster that Buffalo isn’t as “old†as they think it is and that it isn’t much older at the county level.

There is information about millennials in Buffalo earlier in the thread. Another related article: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...nnial.amp.html

Old 06-09-2018, 11:41 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
I'm saying that median age alone says nothing about millennials.

The people above or below the median age can break out lots of ways. Kids, college students, and young adults can each have large or small numbers. Same with mid-career people vs. retirees.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:31 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,072,493 times
A couple of other things not mentioned about Buffalo:
- the "Say Yes" program of Buffalo Public Schools will pay 100% of college tuition for any student that graduates from a public high school or charter school (based on number of years attending BPS schools), with no less than 65% paid for 4 years of high school at over 90 colleges and universities
- over the last 10 years BPS schools have undergone a $1B upgrade in facilities city-wide (which accounts for much of the $/pupil totals)
- BPS includes multiple magnet schools, including City Honors which is one of the highest ranked schools state-wide and nationally
- In addition to BPS, over 3500 students attend city private and parochial schools, and nearly 10,000 attend multiple Charter schools in the city limits
- Nearby suburbs have some of the highest ranked schools in the country
- SUNY at Buffalo is the largest SUNY university, with 2 city and a larger suburban campus, plus Buffalo State College is located in the popular Elmwood Village area of the city - there are also several community colleges (SUNY Erie) and private colleges (Canisius, D'Youville, Medaille, etc) in the city and surrounding communities
- Among metro areas greater than 1M, the percentage of college students per population is in the top 10, just slightly below that of Boston, Austin, and San Jose.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:11 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I thibnk you should go to Seattle

Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'm saying that median age alone says nothing about millennials.

The people above or below the median age can break out lots of ways. Kids, college students, and young adults can each have large or small numbers. Same with mid-career people vs. retirees.
I know, but I was making a point about another statement the poster made...

Another thing the OP could consider is that they can live in walkable areas outside of the city of Buffalo, with good schools if they want to as well. Moog(where the spouse has the potential job offer), for instance, is in East Aurora and is one of those walkable communities outside of Buffalo with good schools. So, that is something to consider.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
All i can say is there are alot of unfair comparisons on CD. Buffalo is not even comparable to a suburb of Seattle such as Bellevue. Bellevue is more vibrant, urban, educated, you name it.

Old 06-10-2018, 12:56 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
All i can say is there are alot of unfair comparisons on CD. Buffalo is not even comparable to a suburb of Seattle such as Bellevue. Bellevue is more vibrant, urban, educated, you name it.
This is true. Bellevue, as a suburb of Seattle is bigger than Buffalo in square footage and is also comparable to downtown Portland Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City