Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Lauderdale vs San Diego
Fort Lauderdale 14 28.57%
San Diego 35 71.43%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 08:02 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,260,177 times

Advertisements

Tons of homeless now in San Diego. I left there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:03 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Look at apartment rents in both places.....

And as a side bar, you seem to want to criticize every post I make on this board. Is it because I don't like Denver?
Apartment rents =\ housing cost.

Disagreeing with you because I disagree with you.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:13 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
FLL is fun to visit, but I'd never want to live there. San Diego all the way.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
Apartment rents =\ housing cost.

Disagreeing with you because I disagree with you.
How is apartment rent not a housing cost? As I don't have $50k just sitting in my bank account for a down payment, apartment rent has been my only form of housing cost for years, so it's more relevant to me than purchase price

Old 06-03-2018, 11:08 AM

32 posts, read 35,647 times
San Diego has beautiful scenery and a fantastic climate, but overall the city is incredibly overrated and boring. Ft Lauderdale idk know much about, but Miami is a fun time and they're near.

But I'll go ahead and vote San Diego anyway. Florida to me is for beach vacations and retirees - not living.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:27 AM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
This was a tough choice since neither are desirable places for living. Great for visiting however. Overall I gave Fort Lauderdale the edge due to the climate (prefer the tropical climate with thunderstorms over dry). Also with the new Brightline gives it a better access to Miami and eventually Orlando, in addition to the already existing Amtrak and Tri-Rail (similar to the Coaster). The California HSR may or may not reach San Diego, not any time soon. Of course as mentioned SoCal's COL is higher than SoFL. One thing that does give San Diego an edge is mountains, and cheaper flights to Asia.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:29 AM

32 posts, read 35,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
This was a tough choice since neither are desirable places for living. Great for visiting however. Overall I gave Fort Lauderdale the edge due to the climate (prefer the tropical climate with thunderstorms over dry). Also with the new Brightline gives it a better access to Miami and eventually Orlando, in addition to the already existing Amtrak and Tri-Rail (similar to the Coaster). The California HSR may or may not reach San Diego, not any time soon. Of course as mentioned SoCal's COL is higher than SoFL. One thing that does give San Diego an edge is mountains, and cheaper flights to Asia.
Does San Diego have cheaper flights to asia? Granted it's a lot closer but MIA is an American hub. Being a hub seems to make a larger difference than geographic proximity. Either way. in SAN you'd be connecting to LAX or SFO to go to asia.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:08 PM

6,541 posts, read 12,037,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGateMyst View Post
Does San Diego have cheaper flights to asia? Granted it's a lot closer but MIA is an American hub. Being a hub seems to make a larger difference than geographic proximity. Either way. in SAN you'd be connecting to LAX or SFO to go to asia.
Yes, I've seen flights to Tokyo for around $500 on the direct Japan Airlines flight from SAN. It's said to be cheaper to fly to Asia than to the East Coast some times (maybe around the holidays). I don't think MIA has any direct flights to Asia. From ATL, the direct Delta flight is pretty expensive.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:27 PM

11,477 posts, read 11,552,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How is apartment rent not a housing cost? As I don't have $50k just sitting in my bank account for a down payment, apartment rent has been my only form of housing cost for years, so it's more relevant to me than purchase price
It’s A housing cost, but it’s A PIECE of the overall picture. Unless of course this thread is all about you.

In any case, May market numbers. 1BR in the first column, 2br in the second.

Last edited by SkyDog77; 06-03-2018 at 06:39 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 02:56 PM

242 posts, read 251,100 times
I went to Miami for a week and it was miserable IMO. Doesn’t hold a candle to San Diego.

Should be compared to Houston or something.

Worst drivers I’ve ever seen
Rude people
Humid and sticky
Bugs everywhere

To each their own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City