Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Favorite French designed city
Washington D.C 38 36.19%
Montreal 55 52.38%
New Orleans 12 11.43%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 PM

631 posts, read 562,974 times

Advertisements

I've lived in all three...

1. Downtown - MONTREAL
2. Walkability - MONTREAL
3. Economy - DC
4. Nightlife - (don't care)
5. Bars/Restaurants - NEW ORLEANS
6. Suburbs - DC
7. Weather- DC
8. Recreational activities - DC
9. Green Space - DC
10. Monuments./Museums - DC
11. Transportation Car/Public - DC
12. Where would you rather live? - DC (I live here now)

But my favorite is Montreal because it is actually French (Francophone) in culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 08:32 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Second, if you have, I don't quite understand your statement, could I have an example? DC nightlife is okay, but I haven't met anyone who visited Montreal and didn't have FUN when going out. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Judging from your comments, you've never been to Montreal. The nightlife here is fun, unique, crazy etc... It's a top nightlife spot not only in North America but in the world. Its care-free, unapologetic, high energy yet laid back. There are also dozens of nightlife areas in the city, secret spots, underground spots etc... It's possibly the most diverse in N.A/World once you know the right people.
Let me see how I can make this simpler. It's like comparing the TV Shows like Insecure and Atlanta, to New Girl and Broad City.

Like I said before, I'm sure Montreal nightlife is decent, but there's some things I doubt they could duplicate from DC's nightlife that's so pivotal to why I hold DC's nightlife to a higher regard.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:31 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,275,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Let me see how I can make this simpler. It's like comparing the TV Shows like Insecure and Atlanta, to New Girl and Broad City.

Like I said before, I'm sure Montreal nightlife is decent, but there's some things I doubt they could duplicate from DC's nightlife that's so pivotal to why I hold DC's nightlife to a higher regard.
Maybe so.....but imo Montreal’s nightlife is on another level....have you been?

Old 06-23-2018, 05:25 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,970,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Which is your favorite french designed city in North America?

Some criteria to consider

1. Downtown
2. Walkability
3. Economy
4. Nightlife
5. Bars/Restaurants
6. Suburbs
7. Weather
8. Recreational activities
9. Green Space
10. Monuments./Museums
11. Transportation Car/Public
12. Where would you rather live?
01. Montreal (all three have active downtowns and New Orleans is super active but in the historic neighborhoods adjacent to downtown more so than the CBD-proper itself which is okay but pales in comparison to French Quarter and other-like areas adjacent to it, thus giving it to Montreal overall).

02. Montreal/Washington D.C. tie (core areas of New Orleans is super walkable too but it peters out quickly the more you move away from the core and the city starts diffusing and becoming more suburban-like in character, much more quickly than the other two cities discussed).

03. Washington, D.C. (no question about it).

04. New Orleans/Montreal tie (when factoring in the whole of Canada and the United States, both are Top 5 and their scenes are so different that you can easily like both because they fill different needs. Both also come with very different advantages as well. Montreal's nightlife is very much in the class of New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, and New York). Montreal is the superstar performer in Canada when it comes to nightlife and the active night scene.

05. New Orleans/Montreal tie (read above; why is this a separate criteria point from "nightlife" anyway?)

06. Washington, D.C.

07. Subjectively I like New Orleans' climate best and I actually have no issues with it at all. Objectively speaking, for the common person, Montreal is harsh in one extreme (cold) and New Orleans in the other extreme (hot), so logic dictates the objective answer is Washington D.C. which has a climate that is somewhere in between the other two and very much serves as an intermediary of the three cities on weather.

08. Montreal (the mountains are immediate, the city is on an island between the fork and split in the river. All three have their own takes on outdoor recreation but things are more immediate and closer-in in the case of Montreal. Washington D.C. has hills immediately in the city and the River Potomac but the hills are shorter and less dramatic than the mountains in Montreal and the District is not on an island surrounded by water on all four of its sides). Do the math, it will all make sense.

09. Washington, D.C.

10. Washington D.C. (Washington definitely takes monuments without question but all three are solid on museums, I give it to Washington though only due to sheer scope but again, all three are solid on museums).

11. Montreal/Washington D.C. tie (both would be more than accommodating for both car and transit use; New Orleans lacks rail transportation other than the trolley system, which is nice but limited).

12. New Orleans. I have already lived in Washington D.C. once before and am grateful for everything that I got out of that experience, it was good for me, but New Orleans fashions itself as more of my style of city and it would be a new experience altogether. If I ever did Washington D.C. again, it would be a continuation of where I left off and I would want to shuffle things around and try something entirely new. Montreal's achilles heel is its weather, I'm not a huge proponent in selecting cities to live in based solely off of weather but Montreal's winter climate is nothing to take lightly if you aren't comfortable with cold as it is. Oh and being an American citizen, I don't have to submit an immigration application or do paperwork to live in any of the cities in the United States, where as I would with Canada. It's no problem for me at all, I've done it twice in the past 3 years (United Kingdom and Japan) but it isn't a "no hassle, no issue" proposition either, it requires effort and time.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-23-2018 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 07:47 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,236,309 times
^^
I agree with pretty much everything you wrote. You're right that the winter weather in Montreal is nothing to take lightly. Even compared to a city like Buffalo (where I'm from) the cold in Montreal is on a whole other level. Bone-chilling! The summers in Montreal would be close to idyllic in terms of the temps I like (lots of 70s for highs). I pick Montreal out of these three. It's probably my favorite of all the cities I've visited in North America. I'd have to study up on French to get the most out of living there.

Last edited by stillinthesouth; 06-24-2018 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:

I still don't understand how people can make claims/ assumptions about places they have never been to.

DC elitism at its finest.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:01 PM

923 posts, read 665,549 times
I love Montreal but DC is a better choice for me.Too cold in Montreal.New Orleans is great to visit but the least livable out of the three

Old 06-26-2018, 05:15 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,420,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I still don't understand how people can make claims/ assumptions about places they have never been to.

DC elitism at its finest.
I'm not even from DC. lol

Not even from the DMV area. BUT the DMV area shows a LOT of love though. It's hard to explain, but I think one of the posters in here already got what I meant.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:10 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Montreal, easily.

The food in Montreal is unreal. New Orleans is a runner up but I find it more one note.

Love the art/murals, architecture, and European feel of Montreal too.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:03 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
I'm not even from DC. lol

Not even from the DMV area. BUT the DMV area shows a LOT of love though. It's hard to explain, but I think one of the posters in here already got what I meant.
Its impossible to understand what someone meant if they make statements about an area they have NEVER visited. If you knew both DC and Montreal from visiting, then sure I'll respect your opinion, even though I disagree with it.

But making uninformed statements about a city you have never visited gets no credibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City